Best Oil for 5.0L Coyote

Thanks… That is typical. When I worked we get blueprints on substations and 80% was right. Up to the field implementers to get it to 100%. Ford is just being Ford like almost every other corporation.

Notice the lawsuit date is after the above TSB fix. If reprogramming is a fix, why the longer dipstick?

Here is some good news…

I can tell you that’s not the case with all. Honda don’t work like that.

Best oil for the 5.0? Well I always thought it was interesting that the 5.0 in the Mustang with Track Pack called for 5W50 oil, similar to the oil spec for the engine in the GT500 cars. Did Ford assume that Track Pack cars would be driven harder, generate more heat, and benefit from higher viscosity oil? And if so, is it safe to assume than a F-150 that tows trailers on a regular basis would also generate more heat and benefit from higher viscosity?

I've always said F the low viscosity oils that are only spec'd for CAFE scores on high production vehicles. As the consumer, I want my engine to live its longest life, and 0W20 ain't gettin' it done.

Best oil for the 5.0? Well I always thought it was interesting that the 5.0 in the Mustang with Track Pack called for 5W50 oil, similar to the oil spec for the engine in the GT500 cars. Did Ford assume that Track Pack cars would be driven harder, generate more heat, and benefit from higher viscosity oil? And if so, is it safe to assume than a F-150 that tows trailers on a regular basis would also generate more heat and benefit from higher viscosity?
Of course the engineers doing the Mustang's with Track Pack and the also the Boss 302 (hopped up Coyote aka "Roadrunner") knew that thicker oil would be need for the added protection for the anticipated harder use. This is the most basic backbone of tribology ... viscosity matters when it comes to keeping moving parts separated and rubbing on each other.

Well, clearly you aren't a service manager. Ford "paying the bill" does NOT pay like a non-warranty job. Warranty work tends to pay VERY poorly, which is why dealerships will try to avoid it if possible.

When that warranty work is an engine job, you are holding up a bay and, depending on the shop configuration, you may not be able to clear that hoist/bay so then you are down a source of revenue. No shop wants a job that isn't making money taking up a hoist, and no tech wants that in his/her bay.

So, let's say this job pays 14 hours warranty rate, but it takes a good tech 18 to do it right. The tech is already working a loser even ignoring the lower rate paid for warranty, AND the vehicle is difficult to move without the engine in it and, depending on the shop configuration, may need to stay in the bay while they wait for the replacement engine and parts to arrive. Those could be on back-order (look at the current supply shortage) and may take weeks to arrive. So, now the tech is inconvenienced, the shop is inconvenienced, the owner is inconvenienced, and down a vehicle for a few weeks, maybe has to get a rental...etc. It's not a good experience for anybody involved. AND, the shop has to show Ford that the TSB is applicable to the situation with this particular vehicle in order to initiate a warranty claim so that Ford will cover it. This is additional work for the tech and the SM.

SO, if a tech, on their own volition, has determined that, in some instances, just changing the oil to something a bit heavier, solves the problem, that'll likely be the first course of action taken/suggested with the owner. If that solves the problem, great! The owner had a quick fix, so did the tech, and the tech has likely already told the SM that this is an effective solution in some instances. A job was quickly moved through the shop and everybody is happy. That's why these solutions are shared in threads like these by techs.

Now, if that "quick fix" does NOT correct the problem, then more in-depth action will of course have to be taken. Same with if the customer isn't happy with the idea of using a different oil and forces the issue.

It's not hypothetical, we literally had a Ford tech in this thread STATE that he used M1 5w-30 to deal with oil consumption on this friggin' engine. If that effectively works, the dealership avoids an engine warranty job, which makes everyone happy.

If my earlier comments got you all wadded up, that's unfortunate, but trying to spin this back at me isn't going to work and we've engaged enough that you should know that by now.

Christ on a cracker, we all know the details of the bloody TSB. That in no way means that the dealership isn't going to take an "alternative" route that they've found works in practice, that avoid them having to do an engine job Bill.
Most of us laughed at these TSB ford sent out. The part that pissed us the techs off is they sent a letter to customer saying about the TSB and we wouldn’t have the parts in stock bc ford never sent them, and you had Pissed off customers. Best one was the ecoboost cam phaser TSB we would only get maybe 3 sets of phasers at a time but ford sent out that customer letter saying they had a fix. Honda was a whole lot better when I worked there, but we didn’t have hardly any heavy work. It was mostly maintenance.

Most of us laughed at these TSB ford sent out. The part that pissed us the techs off is they sent a letter to customer saying about the TSB and we wouldn’t have the parts in stock bc ford never sent them, and you had Pissed off customers. Best one was the ecoboost cam phaser TSB we would only get maybe 3 sets of phasers at a time but ford sent out that customer letter saying they had a fix. Honda was a whole lot better when I worked there, but we didn’t have hardly any heavy work. It was mostly maintenance.
That must have been extremely frustrating!

Back