Best Oil for 2011 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Lambda V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for recommendations on synthetic oil.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Lambda V6 Sedan

2. What your owner's manual says
API Service Sm/ILSAC GF-4 or above. SAE 5w-20, 5W -30, or 10W-30 if normal temps are above 0

3. Where you live
Dallas, TX

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
I drive very easy, really never in a hurry

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
I work from home but drive the car 20 miles twice per week and then most of my other trips are 4-10 miles but takes about 10-20 minutes of driving 30-50 miles per hour on side streets

6. Whether your car has any known problems
No known problems. Car currently has 9656 miles on it. Initial oil change was at 3003 with Pennzoil & OEM Hyundai oil filter and second oil change was at 6899 with Pennzoil & OEM Hyundai oil filter. This oil change is going to be at 10,000 miles so the current fill will only have 3,101 miles.

I am thinking about 5,000 miles change interval so it will be easy to keep track of. I will use an OEM Hyundai filter.

Thanks,
Rod

MAXLIFESYNTHETIC5W-30.jpg

I vote Castrol Edge 5W-30.

Yep we are in Dallas but the cooling system keeps the oil in check, or it is supposed to. I used to put heavy oil in all my cars. Now, i trusting "30 weight" more than anything.

I would choose Castrol Edge 5W-30 should be very smooth for that new car

PP or Ultra because they are $18.75 and $22 at Walmart.

At those prices you should not be depressed draining them at 7500 miles to still be at the normal recommended Hyundai OCI... 3750 is severe OCI(Mostly stop and go city driving).

Based on the driving the car will be subjected to, I also would use M1 or PP/UP in the 5w30 weight and go to the 7,500 mile OCI IF it is indead in the owners manual. Ed

A friend of mine has a 2007 Kia Sedona with the 3.8 Lambda V6. He has 143,000 miles on it, and pretty much has used Motorcraft 5w-20 semi syn at 5-7k intervals. There was an occasional run of other oils that he got on sale. The Sedona has spent a lot of time towing his boat and camper, and he has never had a powertrain issue.

I think any decent 5w-20 or 5w-30 will do just fine at 5K intervals.

As to the Hyundai warranty. My cousin has a 2006 Sonata with the 3.3l V6. He had the timing chain tensioner fail at 30k miles. When the dealer found out he was doing 7-10k OCI's with syn, the dealer warned him they might not cover it. When the engine was opened up, the dealer said Hyundai will cover the repair, as the engine was very clean inside. After my cousin talked to the dealer he found out you can deviate from the recommended service intervals, as long as you can back up the deviation. So if you carelessly extend your OCI and sludge up your engine, you are on the hook for the bill. If you have UOA's to back up your OCI, even better. Granted this is how one dealer handles it, so your results may vary.

Originally Posted By: wolfc70
A friend of mine has a 2007 Kia Sedona with the 3.8 Lambda V6. He has 143,000 miles on it, and pretty much has used Motorcraft 5w-20 semi syn at 5-7k intervals. There was an occasional run of other oils that he got on sale. The Sedona has spent a lot of time towing his boat and camper, and he has never had a powertrain issue.

I think any decent 5w-20 or 5w-30 will do just fine at 5K intervals.

As to the Hyundai warranty. My cousin has a 2006 Sonata with the 3.3l V6. He had the timing chain tensioner fail at 30k miles. When the dealer found out he was doing 7-10k OCI's with syn, the dealer warned him they might not cover it. When the engine was opened up, the dealer said Hyundai will cover the repair, as the engine was very clean inside. After my cousin talked to the dealer he found out you can deviate from the recommended service intervals, as long as you can back up the deviation. So if you carelessly extend your OCI and sludge up your engine, you are on the hook for the bill. If you have UOA's to back up your OCI, even better. Granted this is how one dealer handles it, so your results may vary.

I own a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited V6 and the owners manual states a 7500 mile OCI for a normal driven vehicle. Severe is 3500 miles and that would be considered a lot of idling and stop and go city driving. You will be perfectly fine doing 7500 miles with any syn motor oil. Under warranty I would stick with 5W20...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I have purchased enough PU for a few changes and enough PP for 2 changes.

The manual states 5W-20 up to 10W-30 so what would be better in Dallas, TX? I figured I would use the 5W-20 since it is about to be winter but we really don't get that cold so not sure it will matter but how does 5W-20 hold up to a TX summer?

Rod

I have been reading some good things re; 5W20 oil on here. And guy`s down south running it year round with no trouble at all.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I have been reading some good things re; 5W20 oil on here. And guy`s down south running it year round with no trouble at all.

I forgot to mention I hope to keep the car for 10-15 years and put 200,000 - 350,000 miles on it. My previous car was a Hyundai Sonata and it has about 179,000 and is a little over 8 years old. I changed the oil with Dino every 5,000 - 8,500 miles and it is running perfect.

Rod

I would use oreilly house brand synthetic its good oil at a good price or supertech syn also good for the price. And if you get 350,000 out of a Hyundai with the same engine and Tranny is like to know everything you did and shake your hand. My aunt who loves Hyundai has a 2000 elantra wagon. It has 145,000 I. The last two years its had about 9k put in it to keep it running. It has always been dealer serviced except for tires done at dobbs. Her husband demands that it goes to the dealer. I'm not impressed with either of there cars. His 2010 elantra engine is also making a ticking rattling noise has 7500 on it. Not impressed but I wish you luck.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
I would use oreilly house brand synthetic its good oil at a good price or supertech syn also good for the price. And if you get 350,000 out of a Hyundai with the same engine and Tranny is like to know everything you did and shake your hand. My aunt who loves Hyundai has a 2000 elantra wagon. It has 145,000 I. The last two years its had about 9k put in it to keep it running. It has always been dealer serviced except for tires done at dobbs. Her husband demands that it goes to the dealer. I'm not impressed with either of there cars. His 2010 elantra engine is also making a ticking rattling noise has 7500 on it. Not impressed but I wish you luck.

This is our 3rd Hyundai. The reason I got a Genesis is because my wife wrecked her 2000 Elantra so she got the Sonata and I got a new car. The 2000 Elantra had 127,000 miles on it and ran like a champ. There were some early brake problems but that is it. My Sonata is pushing 180,000 and outside of fixing the locks & windows nothing else has broke.

I hope I get at 10 years out of the Genesis with no problems like we did the other two Hyundais.

Rod

In TX, I would stay with the 5W20 PP or PU and feel confidant that your engine will last way past the 10/100 warranty expiration... I also have been nervous about 20 weight oils but they have been proven to be great oils...

Engines are being built/specd for 20 weight oils and when under a warranty you should stay with that weight. You could also consider Mobil 1 EP 5W20 or 0W20.

The choice of grades gives you flexibility with the oils you can use while maintaining warranty protection.
If you can get a great deal on a 5W-30 or 10W-30 syn, you can use it without worry.
I don't know that a 5W-20 will yield better fuel economy, but I do know that it will protect your engine just fine in any weather.

I had an 09 accent 5 speed...I used Pennzoil ultra in it...all this Hyundai talk makes me miss that little car!

Originally Posted By: Travis99LS1
I had an 09 accent 5 speed...I used Pennzoil ultra in it...all this Hyundai talk makes me miss that little car!

I want a 1989 Hyundai Scoupe. I do!
laugh.gif

And yeah id put 5W-20 or 0W-20 in it
laugh.gif

Wow I really didn't know that Hyundai had all this love.i I thought they were cheap disposable cars. Wow surprises everyday I guess. Just dont wash them.with a high pressure hose the paint tends to flake off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back