Best oil for 2004 Civic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my Wife a 2004 Civic for Christmas and wanted to ask what is the best oil to use . It will be driven about 15-18k per year and one third of that will be on the Interstate Highways .

I have used Pennzoil all of my life . Is the Pennzoil 5/20 OK ?

R.Stuart,

My wife has an '03 - great cars!
cool.gif

I'm still on the original oil (2.7k in 5 months) but when it comes to the first change I think I'll put in M1 0W-30.

I know that the 5W-20 oils are called for in the manual and that there have been some great UOAs with them but variety is the spice of life and besides, if choosing the right oil was easy we wouldn't be members of BITOG!
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Mobil 1 0w20. Had it for 2 oil changes so far, and Ive gotten 36-39 mpg and NO oil consumption(about a 2-3mpg increase). Also, cold starts are better than the castrol 5w20 and the honda factory fill i had in, plus you can extend your drain interval to about the midway mark(7500 miles).

Pennzoil 5W20 is very good. My 6,800 mile UOA showed very low wear. To a search under UOA for 5w20 in the title. I'm using M1 0w20 during the winter but will switch back to Pennzoil 5w20 in the spring.

With mostly highway, you should probably be able to go as much as 6k on that Pennzoil 5w20, although you should do used oil analysis to be sure.

Nice Christmas present by the way, all I got my wife was a gold bracelet!
smile.gif
I wish someone would buy me a car for Christmas, preferably a Magnetic Red 2004 Corvette.
grin.gif

I've had great results running the Pennz 5W-20 in my 02 Accord. I must say though, I am tempted to give the Mobil 1 0W-20 a try and see if the claims of increased mileage from several members is true.
But first I have to use up 2 cases of Pennzoil 5W-20 that I got on sale for a great price after coupon and rebate, still haven't seen that rebate check though.
grin.gif

I'd like to see someone switch *back* to conventional 5w-20 from Mobil 1 0w-20 to see if the gas mileage goes back down. If this test is not done, how do we know the improved mileage isn't due to normal engine break-in?

The best two 20wt oils for this car are Mobil 1 0w-20 and Pennzoil 5w-20. Both are excellent choices. For 30wts, this is an engine that Mobil 1 would be great in as well.

cvl, yes, commonly available. The ones you mentioned are probably great, but I dont think you will see too much of a difference. The Amsoil is just over priced. Wouldn't touch that one.

[ December 24, 2003, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
The best two 20wt oils for this car are Mobil 1 0w-20 and Pennzoil 5w-20. Both are excellent choices. For 30wts, this is an engine that Mobil 1 would be great in as well.

Didn't you mean to say "commonly available?" What about synthetics available from Redline, Torco, Synergyn, Silkolene/Fuchs, etc.

And don't forget Chevron 5W20 which is probably the equal of the Pennzoil 5W20.

There is some info on a virgin sample on this site.

--- Bror Jace

Buster,

I too think that M1 30 weights would be a good choice for a Civic but would you go with the 0W or 5W?

I'd tend to think that the 0W is the better rounded oil by meeting the European specs rather than the 5W. For that matter would you consider running GC or is too thick?

I like M1 10w-30 the best. I'm not a huge fan of there 0w oils, even the 40wt. Mobil's best oils in this order are:

Delvac 1/0w-30 R (new oil)
15w-50
10w-30/5w-30/0w-20
0w-30/0w-40.

GC is a good oil, but it's not worth it IMO to search around for it.

I was told awhile ago that the rumor was Mobil 1 30wts were to soon be A3 rated.
dunno.gif

2002 honda civic ex: pennzoil 5w20 has worked well. Amsoil 5w20 works well also but for longer (changed mine 6500-7000). Tried havoline 5w20 (identical to chevron?) car did not like it--felt strange..and strange is not good IMO. currently using mobil 1 0w20 and seems to be working well so far ....first time i've tried it. Haven't seen any difference in mileage. best mileage I've seen was with amsoil, but the colder weather may be the reason why.

Maybe I should just use synthetic after breakin .

The reports on the Mobil 0/20 look great so far .

I use another brand 0/20 in my 509ci 871 BDS Blown Pro Street 5spd Camaro that has done great for the last 4 years now . After an oil change I dump the used oil in my Toyota PU and run it 6 months . Shame to waste good oil but harder to admit how I conserve resources here .
patriot.gif

Happy Holidays

Buster...

quote:

Mobil's best oils in this order are:

Delvac 1/0w-30 R (new oil)
15w-50
10w-30/5w-30/0w-20
0w-30/0w-40.

No one has seen, used or tested 0W30R, because you can't even BUY IT!!!, yet you continue to pump this product. C'mon Buster, give it a rest, you're making yourself look silly...!!!

quote:

No one has seen, used or tested 0W30R, because you can't even BUY IT!!!, yet you continue to pump this product. C'mon Buster, give it a rest, you're making yourself look silly...!!!

I don't need to see it. If it's what goes in a NASCAR engine, I'm sure it's great for Civics.
lol.gif

What more do you need to know? State of the art PAO, used by professional race teams etc.??
grin.gif

Ok, so I hype it up a bit.
fruit.gif

[ December 24, 2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back