best oil for 10k miles on vw 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
After doing research on the best oil for a vw 2.0L engine, I think synthetic is the way to go in this engine. Need some help deciding which oil is best for the 2.0 that can do the full 10,000 miles. So I have come up with these oils.
Castrol Syntec 0W-30
Mobil 1 0W-40
Valvoline Synpower 5W-40
Shell Rotella 5W-40
If there is another good oil please suggest. I like this car and plan to be keeping it. By the way this car does about 6000 miles a year. Its a '02 VW Jetta GLS 2.0 and it doesn't consume a whole lot of oil about 1 quart in 2000 miles. Also once I start using synthetic, should I switch back to regular at 100,000 miles or keep using it till ovehaul. Thanks.

I would not run the oil any longer than a year. And If you yearly average is 6K a year I would use the Syntec 0W30 or Mobil 1 0W40. The Rotella might mess up the convertor seeing that it uses a quart every 2K.

You don't consider one quart every 2k to be a lot? That would be 5 quarts of makeup oil for every 10k interval! Yikes!!
shocked.gif

What the other guys said.

If you do 6K in one year then your OCI should be 6K!

That IS some high consumption. Is the cause hard metal wear or gumbo rings? An auto-tx treatment would tell.

Any good oil should serve you. I can suggest Amsoil, of course.

Well I didn't consider 1 quart/2000 miles high because some people say they consume 1 or more quarts per 1000 miles. Oh for got to mention that the oil I used was 5W-30 Chevron conventional that gave the 1quart/2000 miles. I'm thinking that a synthetic will help reduce or eliminiate the oil consumption.

I'd use M1 5W-40. How many miles do you have on that engine? Your oil consumption makes me wonder whether you have a lead foot or if the valve seals are going bad.

The engine has about 14,800 miles on it. And I don't drive with a heavy foot, my driving is easy going.

All,

This is typical consumption for the VW 2.0L of that vintage. Some of the ring packs were installed on the pistons upside-down which causes the issue. VW has essentially refused to admit that they screwed up and fix the problem. Up to one quart per 1,000 miles usage 'is considered normal' by VW. Nothing anyone has been able to do about it outside of paying to have the engine pulled and new rings installed, etc. themselves.

Anyway, I would tend to agree with other posters about oil choice. Keep in mind that the recommended oil for the engine is 5W-40. Also, with that kind of consumption, you might even be okay with some sort of synthetic blend. You'll be adding five make-up quarts over the year, so that's not out of the question.

Best of luck,
Ashley

My daughter has a '99 Jetta 2.o that we bought used with 52k on the clock. Was using M1 0W40 and it was consuming about 1 qt in 3k miles. Did an RX treatment at around 64k and then put in Rotella 5W40 and consumption is down to 1qt every 5k (which is current OCI) Has 72k on it now. I think I'm gonna continue the Rotella T. This engine isn't very hard on oil and I think anything more expensive isn't necessary.

quote:

Originally posted by PaJohn:
Rotella 5W40 and consumption is down to 1qt every 5k (which is current OCI) Has 72k on it now. I think I'm gonna continue the Rotella T.

offtopic.gif
don't mean to hijack your thread, but I noticed lately that people have been reporting less oil consumption with Rotella T and the Pennzoil 15w40 version

Whew, Mom's '96 Passat has the 2.0l in that big car and really does not use a drop. Castrol RX 15w-40 it's whole life 2x a year and now I am getting ready to put M1 SUV 5w-40 in it for 1x a year. I figure first, two six month changes of synth before going the whole year. In your car, I would use the Delvac 1300S 15w-40 a few times a year except one fill of the M1 5w-40 to get through winter. If you drive it hard, your rings will seat better.

I see you are in SF, just use the Delvac 15w-40.

Oh so there is a possibility that the rings have not fully seated yet. I have tried Mobil 1 5W-30 before, it burn it off quicker than conventional. Since it doesn't get very cold down here, 15W-40 should work good. I'll probably give Mobil Delvac 1300 a try. I checked on Mobil1 web site and they list that 15W-40 can be used for my car above 5F. Thanks for all the replies.

If the rings haven't seated properly by now, they won't anymore. The oil consumption seems high, but I would say that's because you used 5W-30. Too thin for that engine.

the OBDII VW 2.0 engines 98 and up have crappy engine. the rings as was mentioned by another poster are defective. They all consume oil. The older version of same engine 96 and older are much better designed.

I'd run the Amsoil 10w-40 in this motor ....

Given the # of makeup oil you are adding, you should easily be able to run 10,000 mile drains, even if it takes you two full years to do so. On 3-4 occasions, I have run the same batch of Amsoil for two years with just filter changes every six months ....These were generally cases where I was only putting 5k-7k miles annually on the vehicle. In addition to this, I also ran some of the Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30 for two years and 21,000 miles in a '95 Tacoma and it tested out fine, with very low wear rates....In this latter case, I changed filters @ 7.5k and 15k miles and added a total of 1.5 quarts of makeup oil.

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by kickster:
the OBDII VW 2.0 engines 98 and up have crappy engine. the rings as was mentioned by another poster are defective. They all consume oil. The older version of same engine 96 and older are much better designed.

We have a '04 Jetta 2.0 (AVH engine code, same as AEG except it is drive by wire). First oil change occurred yesterday (5000 miles), despite break-in it did not consume any noticeable amount. When we bought it the oil was at the top of the hash marks, yesterday before changing it was still at the top of the hash marks.

This car will see at least 10k miles a year, I dropped in some Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 as I already had some laying around for the TDI and I did not feel like making a special trip to the auto parts store.

I think my engine is either a AZG or AVH. The sticker on the trunk says AZG but the timing cover says AVH. I remember that during the first 5000 miles when the car was still new, it didn't consume that much oil. I only had too add 1 quart of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back