best oil for 10k miles on vw 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL the OBDII engines did not have this problem. Although it is quite widespread, it doesn't affect everyone. My 2.0L (99.5 model Jetta) burns little to no oil even when using 5W-30.

Technically, the problem is that people weren't paying attention when the ring packs were installed. They were randomly installed on the pistons both correctly, and upside-down. The problem with consumption should not get better or worse with the life of the engine, at least due to this particular issue. You either 'burn' or you do not, and up to one quart per 1,000 miles is considered 'normal' according to VW.

If you'd like to know more, look here:

www.dub-tech.com

and here:

www.vwvortex.com

Cheers,
Ashley

cheers.gif

i use castrol syntec 10w40, on my 97 golf 2.0L and usually go about 8k or 9k. i'm in AZ though.

as someone said the rings were installed upside-down on some of the AEG 2.0L engines. if your under warranty take it to a dealer and have them do an "oil consumption test" they may rebuild the engine under warranty.

I agree that about a handful of 2.0L from 99-early 02 have the oil consumption problem. Some have no problems at all and some have it. Since mine is a early 2002 model(11/01 production date), I'm at the end of the spread, only if the car was purchased a bit later. I believe the 2.0L engines are a tried and true design. I've asked the dealer about the oil consumption, and of course the 1quart per 1000 miles came up. Since I use 1 quart per 2000, I would not qualify for a rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back