Best oil filter from reading this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've been reading and contributing to this forum for about a month now. After a lot of reading from posts on here it seems to be that the best oil filter out there is the:

Purolator PureOne

From the chart that ZeeOSix posted the PureOne filters out 51% of particles at the 5 micron level. Only way it would seem to get better filtering would be to use a bypass system. Since the PureOne oil filter is $7 at Advance Auto, it's on par price wise with regular filters and filters as good as a filter costing twice as much.

That's a fine filter, but not my choice for extended OCI.

35.gif

Pure one has ver good filtering for sure but I would never use one where it would be exposed to gravel by sticking down below the underbody level. In addition should the filter be over torqued it may be easy to crush or tear on removal due to its thin case. Just sayin

Advance Auto puts them on sale for $5 at times. I order 10 of them and use the $20 of $50 code. 10 PureOnes for $30.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Oil filters also filter below 20 microns ... but not as effectively. The more effective they are at 20 microns, the more effective they will also be for smaller particles relative to another filter that isn't as effective at 20 microns. For instance, this is data sent by Purolator to a member here.

µm -- Effieceny -- Beta Ratio
-----------------------------
5 -- 51.3% -- 2.054
10 -- 92.8% -- 13.9
15 -- 99.20% -- 125
20 -- 99.9% -- 1000
25 -- 100% -- Infinity
30 -- 100% -- Infinity
40 -- 100% -- Infinity

As you can see, the PureOne takes out more than 50% of particles 5 microns. Not too shabby.

Otherwise, use a bypass filter to get more of the stuff at 5 microns (or less even).

Here is the chart that ZeeOSix posted in another thread. The filter looks pretty impressive.

If I recall the filter box marketing, the FU has double the capacity of a P1 (13 versus 26 grams). But since none of us ever use them to their capacity that point is moot I suppose.

Originally Posted By: webfors
If I recall the filter box marketing, the FU has double the capacity of a P1 (13 versus 26 grams). But since none of us ever use them to their capacity that point is moot I suppose.

IMO, a filter's capacity has everything to do with its size. If someone was talking capacity for the same size....

I hear the Fram Ultra is a great filter, I wonder what its filtering capability is compared to the PureOne.

I compiled a list from 2012 what BITOG'ers were using, and the PureOne was very popular at #1 reported useage.

The number to the left is the ranking, the number to the right is the number of filters used on the BITOG oil change thread.

1 Pure One 147
2 Motorcraft 119
3 Puro Classic 97
4 Wix 64
5 Mobil 1 48
6 AC Delco 42
7 Napa Gold 41
8 Toyota OEM 32
9 Bosch D+ 31
10 K&N 27
11 Other OEM 26
12 Fram Extra Guard 25
13 Hyundai/KIA OEM 24
14 Mann 24
15 Other Store Brand 23
16 Bosch Premium 20
17 Fram Tough Guard 17
18 Amsoil 13
19 Royal Purple 13
20 Fram Ultra/Extended 12
21 Quaker State 12
22 Mopar 11
23 Baldwin 11
24 MicroGard 10
25 Honda OEM 8
26 Super Tech 8
27 BMW OEM 8
28 Napa ProSelect 7
29 Casite 7
30 Driveworks 5
31 DENSO 5
32 Mahle 5
33 Napa Silver 4
34 Hengst 4
35 Valvoline 4
36 Napa/Wix syn 3
37 STP 3
38 Purolator Synthetic 3
39 Hastings 2
40 Fram High Mileage 2
41 MicroGreen 2
42 Champ 2
43 Pennzoil 2
44 Fleetguard 2
45 Knecht 1

There's a lot to like with a PureOne, I can't use them on the Jeep they are bad for rattle but they work fine on our other vehicles. Tough Guards on the other hand filter just as well as a PureOne at 99% and start up problems disappear.

The Ford 4.6 is another one that rattles on the Pure One, at least mine have and many other 4.6s that I know of. It doesn't with the Motorcraft, so that's what I use. The Pure One has worked fine on everything else for me, but for various reasons I'm not using it on anything right now.

Filtering ability is not the be all, end all for me.

Ok, this is a good discussion.

So does the PureOne oil filter with its higher efficiency reduce oil flow? It seems to make sense than a more restrictive filtering element results in decreased oil flow.

Originally Posted By: stchman

So does the PureOne oil filter with its higher efficiency reduce oil flow? It seems to make sense than a more restrictive filtering element results in decreased oil flow.

No, the PureOne is not restrictive to flow ... in fact it probably flows better than most out there. The PL14006 filter tested in the link below only has ~105 sq-in of media, so it's really not a large filter by any means. The rumor that PureOnes are "restrictive" is a bunch of boloney. If a filter is any more free flowing than this, then it might be producing 3 or 4 PSID instead of 5 PSID under the same conditions. A 1 or 2 PSID difference in flow restriction is nothing and basically invisible to an positive displacement oil pump putting out 75 ~ 80 PSI. The engine is usually ~15 times more restrictive than a typical oil filter is.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

Originally Posted By: webfors

IMO, a filter's capacity has everything to do with its size. If someone was talking capacity for the same size....

I hear the Fram Ultra is a great filter, I wonder what its filtering capability is compared to the PureOne.

Go check Fram's website ... it's listed there for the Ultra. 99% @ 20 microns and larger. It's probably the best filtering full synthetic media filter on the market right now.

http://fram.com/oil-filters/fram-ultra-synthetic-oil-filter.aspx

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

No, the PureOne is not restrictive to flow ... in fact it probably flows better than most out there. The PL14006 filter tested in the link below only has ~105 sq-in of media, so it's really not a large filter by any means. The rumor that PureOnes are "restrictive" is a bunch of boloney........

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

But again urban legends and internet myths die hard.

Saying one favors flow over filtration is a moot point in pc use when an engine is ~15x more restrictive than the oil filter. That said, no doubt the P1 restrictive myth will live on as an anecdotal pronouncement.

As for the best, P1 is a 'solid value' filter ie., price for construction, filtration/efficiency. 'Generally' I'd say a 7500 mi. filter with an outside max to 10k.

Longer than 10k better off imo going with one of the extended oci/fci filters, either synthetic like Ultra, Napa Plat. Puro Syn, Amsoil etc, or blend like Bosch D+ or M1.

At best, "Best" is subjective and relative only to the application and the owner's preferences.

This thread is more appropriately named "Most Popular OIl Filter From Reading This Column."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back