Best oil/ filter for 2013 Honda Accord 2.4L?

I've been using Mobil 1 oil filter along with Valvoline 0w-20. I used to use Mobil 1 0w-20 oil but it would start to burn a little (I've got no clue why. Car only has 60k miles on it). I switched to Valvoline 0w-20 and there's no more oil being burned. What oil filters would you recommend? I stay away from frame :D. Also, does anyone know a solution to that loud "rattle" on start ups? I'm hearing it's a common problem for the 13-17 Accords.

Last edited:
1: For your oil, I would look into getting 0w30 at this time of the year. Normally any good 5w30 will work for you.
2: As for oil filter, it entirely depends on your philosophy. Some go for filtration efficiency, others go for the amount of dirt trapped. Some go for only one OCI, others go for multiple OCI's on their filter. IF you want a filter that filters well, and is cheap (one OCI), bosch 3323. On the other hand, If you want a Filter for multiple OCI's; fram ultra 7317. An alternative to both of these would be a WIX 57356XP, which is somewhat expensive but best of both worlds.
3: Your car has strictly direct injection so fuel dilution may have to be considered.
4: The reason why the "book" says to only use 0w20 is down to CAFE standards for fuel economy. IT may not be much switching from a Xw20 to an Xw30(1-2%), but it is still enough to be considered. VTC Rattle is somewhat common in honda engines with 0wXX oil. It is not just limited to the K series (I4), but also the bigger J series (v6). My Dad's 2014 honda odyssey had the same issue when starting up, and when we switched to 5w30, and solved the issue immediately.

The above is my 2 cents. Happy holidays BITOGers!

Last edited:
1: For your oil, I would look into getting 0w30 at this time of the year. Normally any good 5w30 will work for you.
2: As for oil filter, it entirely depends on your philosophy. Some go for filtration efficiency, others go for the amount of dirt trapped. Some go for only one OCI, others go for multiple OCI's on their filter. IF you want a filter that filters well, and is cheap (one OCI), bosch 3323. On the other hand, If you want a Filter for multiple OCI's; fram ultra 7317. An alternative to both of these would be a WIX 57356XP, which is somewhat expensive but best of both worlds.
3: Your car has strictly direct injection so fuel dilution may have to be considered.
4: The reason why the "book" says to only use 0w20 is down to CAFE standards for fuel economy. IT may not be much switching from a Xw20 to an Xw30(1-2%), but it is still enough to be considered. VTC Rattle is somewhat common in honda engines with 0wXX oil. It is not just limited to the K series (I4), but also the bigger J series (v6). My Dad's 2014 honda odyssey had the same issue when starting up, and when we switched to 5w30, and solved the issue immediately.

The above is my 2 cents. Happy holidays BITOGers!
That appears to be the feeling here on BITOG, yet I have not seen any actual proof. Could you provide a link proving this to be the case? TY

I also vote 5w30 to fix cold start rattles. It’s just a pinch thicker then 0w20 but enough to quiet down most engines significantly, from my experience.

i personally buy OEM filters in bulk online so the price is cheap. I’d only go aftermarket if the original filter isn’t available or something. Plus it depends on the car / engine type and how you drive it and your oil change interval NEEDS.

I’d never use some random aftermarket “one size fits a lot” oil filter on a performance engine. Better to stick with the original since it was designed with the oil pressure bypass rating for that particular engine.

I have 2 X K24W engines and not them have VTC actuator noise issue in the morning; IMO you cannot go wrong with oil/filter as long as the OCI is reasonable; i'm doing it every 5K no issues; to me VTC rattle is mainly thing of the past, in other words prior to the 9th generation Accord

however, my CRV burns oil some between oil changes like 1qt, while Accord does not; so go figure...

I also vote 5w30 to fix cold start rattles. It’s just a pinch thicker then 0w20 but enough to quiet down most engines significantly, from my experience.

i personally buy OEM filters in bulk online so the price is cheap. I’d only go aftermarket if the original filter isn’t available or something. Plus it depends on the car / engine type and how you drive it and your oil change interval NEEDS.

I’d never use some random aftermarket “one size fits a lot” oil filter on a performance engine. Better to stick with the original since it was designed with the oil pressure bypass rating for that particular engine.
Hmm maybe I’ll switch to 5w-30 on my next oil change. Hopefully it doesn’t harm the engine 😭

I have 2 X K24W engines and not them have VTC actuator noise issue in the morning; IMO you cannot go wrong with oil/filter as long as the OCI is reasonable; i'm doing it every 5K no issues; to me VTC rattle is mainly thing of the past, in other words prior to the 9th generation Accord

however, my CRV burns oil some between oil changes like 1qt, while Accord does not; so go figure...
Yeah idk Honda’s quality has been going down. I just got a recall notice about 2013-2017 Honda Accord being recalled due to the Drive Shaft Corroding. I wonder if 5w-30 would work in the accord. That start up rattle is really annoying

Honda has been using 5w20 / 0w20 in the Accord 2.4 for nearly 18 years. There are plenty of Accords with over 200K miles using 0w20 so no worries there. Any name brand 0w20 will suit your needs well, Valvoline is just fine if you don't want to use Mobil 1. I personally use Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 and have for years with no issues. The Fram Ultra is my go to filter for my Honda 2.4 due to it's superior filter media allowing fine filtration without sacrificing flow. If using FRAM filters makes you uncomfortable you could always use Mobil as you said. Understand that Hondas own OEM filter is made by Honeywell (Fram), so no real concerns there. As far as your rattle on start up goes, it could be the VTC actuator, many Honda 2.4's have the rattle. Mine had it when I purchased my 2012 with 32K miles. I had the part replaced under warranty but the new one still rattles, though very infrequently. It seems to be a non issue and only an annoying noise. Using a quality oil and filter and changing at appropriate intervals should yield a long engine life. Happy Motoring!

Honda has been using 5w20 / 0w20 in the Accord 2.4 for nearly 18 years. There are plenty of Accords with over 200K miles using 0w20 so no worries there. Any name brand 0w20 will suit your needs well, Valvoline is just fine if you don't want to use Mobil 1. I personally use Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 and have for years with no issues. The Fram Ultra is my go to filter for my Honda 2.4 due to it's superior filter media allowing fine filtration without sacrificing flow. If using FRAM filters makes you uncomfortable you could always use Mobil as you said. Understand that Hondas own OEM filter is made by Honeywell (Fram), so no real concerns there. As far as your rattle on start up goes, it could be the VTC actuator, many Honda 2.4's have the rattle. Mine had it when I purchased my 2012 with 32K miles. I had the part replaced under warranty but the new one still rattles, though very infrequently. It seems to be a non issue and only an annoying noise. Using a quality oil and filter and changing at appropriate intervals should yield a long engine life. Happy Motoring!
I usually change the oil whenever the oil % is at 20% (so roughly every 5k miles/ 6 months

In the owners manual it says to only use 0w-20
If you explore Accord manuals from around the world up to 15W40 is spec'd via Honda (of course I'm taking the 8th gen K24 like mine) . Same exact engine in the USDM TSX is spec'd 5W30. I gave 0W20 the big nope right when I got my car:D

If you explore Accord manuals from around the world up to 15W40 is spec'd via Honda (of course I'm taking the 8th gen K24 like mine) . Same exact engine in the USDM TSX is spec'd 5W30. I gave 0W20 the big nope right when I got my car:D
Again, if you can go 200K+ miles on 0w20 (certainly many have gone much farther), what are you trying to gain by using a 5w30 / 10w30?

Back