Best oil/ filter for 2013 Honda Accord 2.4L?

So, apparently, it's the Tensioner, Cam Chain that makes the rattling noise. If not fixed, it can damage the chain?

I dont see big difference between M1 and fram ultra.
So ultra has metal backed media, but its shorter. Do you really need metal backed media, all OEM filters do not do that, so its seems totally unnecessary, I'd rather take longer media. Who cares that its 20 micros vs 30 micros at 99.9.
They both look like fine filters to me, it seems that people are getting into religious wars, just like Mobil1 vs Pennzoil, never ending debate.

Last edited:
So, apparently, it's the Tensioner, Cam Chain that makes the rattling noise. If not fixed, it can damage the chain?
My wife just told me that her 14 CRV makes this sound. I'm out of my 5 yr 100k warranty. I wonder if they will cover it since it is a TSB.

I’ve ran Purolator oil filters on all my Honda’s for almost a decade and never experienced any problems. BITOG shames PureOnes, but I have never seen a car with a torn pleat breakdown. Also, if torn pleats bother you, then buy the Purolator Boss and it has reinforced media and has never been shown to tear. I run either the Bosch Premium 3323 (Pureone replica) or a Purolator PL14610.

I think metal backed element is completely unecessary and only reduces amount of filtration media. I dont know any OEM filters that come with metal backed media.

My wife just told me that her 14 CRV makes this sound. I'm out of my 5 yr 100k warranty. I wonder if they will cover it since it is a TSB.
I’m gonna call my local Honda dealership and ask them. I’ll also mention the burning oil too (even though it only burned oil when I used Mobil 1). Now that I’ve switched over to Valvoline, it doesn’t burn oil. I'm going to try pushing Honda to do it since it's basically an engineering flaw. It's not like it's the owners' fault for not changing the oil on time etc. Down the line, the timing chain can break due to Honda engineering. I had success with getting the Nappa Leather seats in my 17 E-class replaced since they started to crack under warranty. I was originally told by my selling dealership that they wouldn't be able to do anything about the seats since they're a wear and tear item. I ended up contacting MBUSA and got both front seats Nappa Leather replaced under the "Goodwill" Program. Plus, free 2-year maintenance :D But again, the Mercedes is under the bumper to bumper warranty until 03/21 + 1 year of CPO warranty and my assumption is since Mercedes is a luxury brand manufacture, they probably care more about their customers being happy then Honda. Just my opinion.

Oil consumption TSM: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10133030-9999.pdf

Rattling TSM: https://www.tsbsearch.com/Honda/19-019

Last edited:
Currently I’m using a Honda A01 oil filter; once I go thru my stash of these filters I’ll go back to XG equivalent just because its synthetic medium; I’ve never used Mobile1 oil filter because it’s price and it’s competition. Heck, I even consider getting rid off Mobile1 oil altogether.

I’m never go over 5k with my OCI along with the filter change so I don’t think that brand name of oil will have any impact on longevity of the car as a whole; Needless to say, my both engines are super smooth to this day

Update: I called my local Honda dealership and they want roughly around $400 parts plus labor to replace the timing chain tensioner. I spoke to Honda customer service. I let them know that if I didn’t catch this flaw early and just kept driving the car, down the road the timing chain came off the guides....BOOM there goes my engine. The customer service rep. said since the service bulletin only lists accords from 14-17 she can’t do anything (and my cars out of warranty) but she’ll forward the information over to the people working in that same department. She also said it’s a known issue(why doesn’t Honda fix it then 🤔). If I get it done at a dealership and keep my receipts, down the line if something pops up for the 13 accords, I can get my money reimbursed. Now, idk if I should get the timing chain tensioner replaced or just diy it and save around $328. I don’t understand how Honda can push something off like this that can cost me an engine down the road due to Honda’s engineering fault. Doesn’t make any sense

Last edited:
I dont see big difference between M1 and fram ultra.
So ultra has metal backed media, but its shorter. Do you really need metal backed media, all OEM filters do not do that, so its seems totally unnecessary, I'd rather take longer media. Who cares that its 20 micros vs 30 micros at 99.9.
They both look like fine filters to me, it seems that people are getting into religious wars, just like Mobil1 vs Pennzoil, never ending debate.

I have a m1 on my truck and a Fram ultra on my Oldsmobile. I've been buying one or the other on sale, but the fram is always a few dollars cheaper. Given what you just said, I would go for the Fram ultra... because why would the length of the media matter if both filters are rated for longer than I ever plan on using them, even if I leave them on for 2 OCI's. Maybe I'm missing something, and I'm sure the difference is very minor, but I would always pick the filter that is seemingly capable of removing more contaminants.

Update: I called my local Honda dealership and they want roughly around $400 parts plus labor to replace the timing chain tensioner. I spoke to Honda customer service. I let them know that if I didn’t catch this flaw early and just kept driving the car, down the road the timing chain came off the guides....BOOM there goes my engine. The customer service rep. said since the service bulletin only lists accords from 14-17 she can’t do anything (and my cars out of warranty) but she’ll forward the information over to the people working in that same department. She also said it’s a known issue(why doesn’t Honda fix it then 🤔). If I get it done at a dealership and keep my receipts, down the line if something pops up for the 13 accords, I can get my money reimbursed. Now, idk if I should get the timing chain tensioner replaced or just diy it and save around $328. I don’t understand how Honda can push something off like this that can cost me an engine down the road due to Honda’s engineering fault. Doesn’t make any sense
They all do it, some worse than others. Ford got extremely bad right around the gm and Chrysler bailout. They saved a lot of money stealing from the customers and dealerships, denying valid warranty claims.

They all do it, some worse than others. Ford got extremely bad right around the gm and Chrysler bailout. They saved a lot of money stealing from the customers and dealerships, denying valid warranty claims.
Ridiculous, honestly. I guess I'll just diy it. Parts are about $72 plus tax and shipping

Back