Best oil filter for 10k+plus oil changes- Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, NAPA Gold?

People can't even read the big print. :ROFLMAO:
These days ... I'm not sure if it's a comprehension or a laziness issue.

The crowd here does not suffer the issues I mentioned above.

This forum crowd is one of the best I've crashed into on the Internet. On whole, it is intelligent, behaved, and willing to learn from others.

Whatever the Mods are doing keeps the forum a welcoming and positive place, works!

It's better than most out there. We all appreciate that.

Last edited:
There’s probably more old oil in the engine itself than in the filter after draining. There will never be 100% fresh oil. I wouldn’t worry about this. But I would also just change the dang filter for the extra $10-15
Running an Ultra now in a well maintained GDI engine that gets the oil changed every 4K miles - thus I run the Ultra for two 4K mile OCI's then change it out . *By then , I have gotten my money's worth out of the Ultra .

Reactions: 4WD
Running an Ultra now in a well maintained GDI engine that gets the oil changed every 4K miles - thus I run the Ultra for two 4K mile OCI's then change it out . *By then , I have gotten my money's worth out of the Ultra .
I also have a Theta II GDI engine - I go 20,000 miles on an oil filter change and have zero worries/concerns

To market 20k they had to engineer and construct 20k … we see the difference in the guts of the Fram lineup
(orange, silver, gold) …
I see it as safety factor - if I plan to run two 5,000-6,000 mile OCI runs - that might be a full year - no worries with XG.
I’m more in tune with what GDI does (fuel dilution) - so never pushing the oil past OLM - ever …

So you're really doing 20k

Honda trusts the orange can Fram PH7317 to 20k (two OCI's of 10k each like you plan on doing). That was the last OCI Honda published before switching to the MM.

However, I'd use Napa Platinum/Wix XP or the Ultra.
Hondas A02 oil filter is not an extra guard (orange can) it’s a tough guard (silver can)

Best bang for the buck filter for 2- 10k syn oil changes without changing the filter (besides Amsoil). NAPA Gold, Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, etc. Thoughts?
Of the ones you mentioned I would say the M1 is the best choice do to the Napa gold isn’t a 20k mile filter and seeing the wavy pleats on the new fram ultras being cut open:
They say the fram titanium is still like the old ultra and royal purple wire backed depth filtering. purolator boss, wix xp, Napa platinum.

They say the fram titanium is still like the old ultra and royal purple wire backed depth filtering. purolator boss, wix xp, Napa platinum.
Maybe not for long. Seems the transition to the non-wire backed media in the Titanium might be under way.

Have you not learned that here on BITOG there is no such thing as being "too cheap." We NEED to squeeze every last penny out of a $10 oil filter or else we ain't done used it enough!!! 🤯
I make decorative coasters from my used oil filters ...

I would be running H/K filters, changed every 4K or less, combined with prayer & holy water splashed on the engine!
They don’t want to listen to the people that actually work on them and see the engines stacked up in the back of the service bays. I worked on these ragady ass Kia and Hyundai and replaced more engines in these than any other manufacturer.

I change these screened Ultras every 20k, maybe 5-8k on the 0/40 itself although this year I'm skipping (3.5k) and going 24mo. on the OCI.
Got to have the right engines for this, I watch for color and posture of the fluid but no worries on the filter if that's all well...oh and I do MightyVac the OCI's until the filter changes out.

Nobody's mentioned oil dilution. Some cars are terrible about adding gas to oil.I have a 19 Tiguan, 10,000 oil changes they say.I do short trips.Oil analysis flags me on dilution. I do 5,000 oil and filter,pass on the analysis. I plan on keeping my car so I do what I found works for me.I drive 12,000 a year being retired, I wish I could do the less service, but I really believe in oil analysis and everyone's driving conditions difference, so do the analysis as part of the equation imo

Nobody's mentioned oil dilution. Some cars are terrible about adding gas to oil.I have a 19 Tiguan, 10,000 oil changes they say.I do short trips.Oil analysis flags me on dilution. I do 5,000 oil and filter,pass on the analysis. I plan on keeping my car so I do what I found works for me.I drive 12,000 a year being retired, I wish I could do the less service, but I really believe in oil analysis and everyone's driving conditions difference, so do the analysis as part of the equation imo.so I just don't get how you can safely go that long,not even change the filter.I get the technology is probably there for oil and filters in the labs but out here in the real world its probably different

My 2001 v10 f350 gets oil and filter twice a year since I had an issue with loss of lots of oil a couple years ago. This last fall at 1000 miles but almost a year i changed oil and could not find a new filter in my garage.. so i unscrewed and drained my mobil 1 filter and re-used it.. first time ever I used a filter for two oil changes. I will change oil and filter again in the spring... and it will be fine.

Back