Best oil filter for 10k+plus oil changes- Fram Ultra, Mobil 1, NAPA Gold?

Of those choices, the M1 or the Fram Ultra. NAPA golds are good filters, but AFAIK, not rated for extreme extended drains (ie 10k plus)

Seems kinda cheap to me. I mean 10K between oil changes is long to begin with. If you can't afford to replace the oil filter, I hope that at least you remove and drain it when you do the second oil change so as not to contaminate the new oil.
There’s probably more old oil in the engine itself than in the filter after draining. There will never be 100% fresh oil. I wouldn’t worry about this. But I would also just change the dang filter for the extra $10-15

I put 30,000 miles on a plain ol' FL-1A back in '95 or so.... (that was 3X - 10K oil changes) and when I cut it open and examined it, there wasn't anything in it to speak of at all... a few little carbon chunks.... that was on a Carb's 400 2bbl engine in my '79 F250.

I put 50,000 miles on Fram TG Tough Guard on my 2008 F150 4.6 (about 5 or 6 oil changes - - never removed it or drained it)
I still need to cut it and paste it one of these days, but I haven't had much free time these last 3 years.

Walmart MP9688 as required intervals by the maintenance guide

Or, remotely mounted PH8a sized filter or PH977a filter. This way, you just about doubled the amount of media.

What is required by the manuals? 7500/6months for oil/filter? 0w20?

Its not a Honda or a beater Ford. I'd change the oil/filter every 7500 miles. Keep the oil level full. And, if the oil consumption continues, step up the HTHS ladder until its better controlled and/or rotate among brands to see if another brand of oil disappears less.

There is no info that the thread starter is providing that would justify his 20k filter negligence.

I put 30,000 miles on a plain ol' FL-1A back in '95 or so.... (that was 3X - 10K oil changes) and when I cut it open and examined it, there wasn't anything in it to speak of at all... a few little carbon chunks.... that was on a Carb's 400 2bbl engine in my '79 F250.

I put 50,000 miles on Fram TG Tough Guard on my 2008 F150 4.6 (about 5 or 6 oil changes - - never removed it or drained it)
I still need to cut it and paste it one of these days, but I haven't had much free time these last 3 years.
Would be interesting to see that 50K miles TG. I think 'Stude had a high mileage one too (30K miles?) that he C&P here.

Veracity? I just don't blindly believe overhyped marketing. I also read the small print. Sorry if many are simply brainwashed by marketing.

Provides up to 20,000 miles/32,000 km of protection when used with an appropriate synthetic oil. Follow recommended change intervals as outlined in your owner’s manual.

We don't have too many automakers recommending 20k filter intervals.

Amsoil had to learn the hard way... from their technical bulletins which keeps on growing :

AMSOIL no longer recommends EaO09, EaO10 or EaO57 Filters with any Toyota/Lexus application.

AMSOIL recommends changing the EaO13 Oil Filter according to OEM-recommended intervals in the following applications: • 2001-2010 Honda • 2002-2010 Acura • 1992-2006 Chrysler imports • 1993-1997 Ford Probe • 1996-2010 Nissan/Infiniti • 1971-2000 Mazda • 1999-2000 Mercury Villager • 1990-2010 Mitsubishi • 2004-2007 Saturn

AMSOIL recommends the WIX 57060 oil filter for Suzuki/GM 3.6L V6 engine applications. AMSOIL does not recommend the use of the EaO50 or EaO47 filters with applications powered by the Suzuki/GM 3.6L V6 engine. These applications include, but are not limited to, the following vehicles: • 2008-2009 Buick Enclave with 3.6L V6 engine • 2008-2009 Buick Lacrosse with 3.6L V6 engine • 2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu with 3.6L V6 engine • 2008-2009 Chevrolet Equinox Sport with 3.6L V6 engine • 2007-2009 GMC Acadia with 3.6L V6 engine • 2007-2009 Pontiac G6 GTP with 3.6L V6 engine • 2008-2009 Pontiac Torrent GXP with 3.6L V6 engine • 2008-2009 Pontiac G6 GXP with 3.6L V6 engine • 2008-2009 Pontiac G8 with 3.6L V6 engine • 2007-2009 Saturn Aura XR with 3.6L V6 engine • 2007-2009 Saturn Outlook with 3.6L V6 engine • 2008-2009 Saturn Vue XR with 3.6L V6 engine • 2008-2009 Saturn Vue Red Line with 3.6L V6 engine • 2007-2009 Suzuki XL-7 with 3.6L V6 engine

AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter Temporarily Not Recommended for Select Ram and GM Applications
We are no longer recommending the AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter for 2007-2013 GM vehicles with the 5.3L engine and 2013-current Ram vehicles with the 5.7L or 6.4L engines.

Talking about automakers that allow 20k intervals. Of course every filter manufacturer need to market to Honda for their A/B schedule. My Hondas never bothered with the oil only changes. I wasn't that cheap.

I never bothered reading the small print on the Supertech 20k filter since they get changed out every 4k-5k here. Where can I find an API/ILSAC licensed oil rated for 20k miles specifically in a GDI Hyundai Theta2?
  • Designed for a 20,000 mile oil change interval when paired with a 20,000 mile rated motor oil

Last edited:
Of course every filter manufacturer need to market to Honda for their A/B schedule.
And if you look at it on the flip-side, regardless of the oil filter rating it could be used to near 20K miles if following the Honda A/B and OLM maintenance schedule. And all major filter brands say they meet or exceed OEM requirements. Yeah, it's "muddy".

I didn't see a flip side. The cheaper filters didn't market a hyped up interval. Even the extra guard, Extra Guard® is the perfect filter for everyday drivers who perform oil changes at OE recommended intervals, is good for 20k in that A/B Honda. But, this thread isn't about Honda's. And, I don't see anything as muddy.

I guess Honda understands their gram loading of a filter better than any other automaker. And, I guess that Amsoil had to learn that some engines overload a filter. I would think that the automaker's vague and blanket recommendations would be more accurate than hype marketing from an oil or filter company that did NOT test their filters on every engine out there.

And Mobil1, since mentioned in this thread, has small print too:
• Mobil 1 Extended Performance motor oils provide guaranteed protection of critical engine parts for up to 20,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Excluded service includes: commercial and racing applications; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or excessive idling.

If your vehicle is covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual.

Too bad that "extremely" or "excessive" isn't defined... just like "lifetime" isn't defined concerning fluids.

The roads in this big city are 'extremely dirty' with all the garbage tossed out the ghetto drivers' windows. And the wind blew some dust from all the road construction. Guess I can't use the M1 filter for 20k since extremely dirty dusty are excluded. Gotta run, need to change the lifetime fluid and filter in my transmission.

And, I don't see anything as muddy.
It is "muddy" to the consumer ... otherwise filter makers like Fram and Amsoil and SuperTech wouldn't say "up to 20,000 miles" then also include the statement of "follow the recommended service interval in you owner's manual" kind of statement. That's the "muddy" (for consumers) I'm talking about.
Too bad that "extremely" or "excessive" isn't defined... just like "lifetime" isn't defined concerning fluids.
More "muddiness" ... 😄

Back