Best oil "fail" thread ever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That guy could get an executive job where I work. One guy here suggested we could shorten the test time on a gearbox by draining out the oil and "simulating" more cycles of wear and save time and money.
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I knew a mechanic that was doing an oil change on a car.
The garage had 10 bays, and on one bay the digital oil spiggot was set to gallons, not quarts. On all other bays the digital read out was in quarts.

So in this one bay.
.25 was one quart
1.0 was one gallon

The new tech, otherwise a very good guy, only realized this after he overfilled a car with gallons of oil.
He didn't start the car, just lifted it back up and drained it all again.
I think he said the thing actually held 4.5 gallons, but I dont remember the make of the car.

This sounds like a win, not a fail.

Whoever failed to set the 1 spigot back to quarts, is the real fail.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
"Don't know why someone hasn't recommended he put a couple cans of chicken soup in there. My grandmother always said it'll cure anything."

crackmeup2.gif

According to this Soup it has 2% iron, so I figure that they probably use additives from Mobil. What do ya'll think?

Originally Posted By: IcebergS2000
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
"Don't know why someone hasn't recommended he put a couple cans of chicken soup in there. My grandmother always said it'll cure anything."

crackmeup2.gif

According to this Soup it has 2% iron, so I figure that they probably use additives from Mobil. What do ya'll think?

Now this is going to become an "off topic Mobil-1 locked thread"
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: lococrazy
I've seen a car that had its engine oil "topped off". Literally topped off, to the filler cap. Leaked oil from multiple gaskets later =/
There was alocal shop that did something similar to that to my aunt's car here n Houston. They drained the transmission fluid and over filled the oil, the car was toast a few miles after leaving the shop. Some people are just plain dumb!

I don't believe it.

1. Brake fluid won't hurt the engine. An old timer at my shop uses it as engine flush. Not saying I would EVER recommend that to anyone, but he is a firm believer in it. His car had over 300K miles and still ran fine. It just looked like [censored].

2. If he flushed brake clean through the engine, so what? That stuff vaporizes so quickly that it would vaporize right out of the oil and get drawn into the PCV system, where it would be consumed by the engine. I have sprayed brake clean into the oil fill cap to clean some crud off and nothing bad ever happens.

Originally Posted By: IcebergS2000
There was alocal shop that did something similar to that to my aunt's car here n Houston. They drained the transmission fluid and over filled the oil, the car was toast a few miles after leaving the shop. Some people are just plain dumb!

LOL, that's exactly what I did when I was 18 and doing my first oil change myself on my new Corolla. I was thinking, seems smoother, but how come it's so much slower?!? Hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back