Best oil drain pan and storage container?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm tired of the mess every time I use the drain pan I have from Wal-Mart. Anybody have a good recommendation of a drain pan?

Also I need something to store the oil in to transport it to recycle. What do you guys use? It would be nice if it could hood 3+ gallons, has a larger opening(as in 3-5 inches) with a carrying handle.

This one from Walmart. Tough plastic and I can carry it to dump at the auto parts store.

Nice, but a better system for me is this: Buy your oil in the gallon sized jugs only. Have one of those round plastic pans with a spout that fits into top of the jug. Have a spare jug around from any antifreeze or other commodity. Do your change using the jug of oil. Immediately pour the used oil back into the jug it came from and if you have more than a gallon pour the rest into one of the empty jugs. Cap the jugs and dispose of the oil when you can.

This works for me because I give the oil to the disposal place, jug and all.

Last edited:
I have a similar BLACK oil container(shown above) but only use it to store the oil until I can take the used oil to a recycling center to dump it. I did "once" try to drain the oil into the BLACK container however, when the oil came out of the engine drain pan into the container, the oil stream just splashed everywhere. So now I just use a separate drain pan to catch the oil stream.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I have a concrete mixing pan, a big funnel, and a 5 gallon gas can for used oil.

Me too, it works fantastic. Now I can take the filter off my van or my Liberty while the oil is draining w/o having to move the pan to make sure no oil gets on the floor. I use a bigger concrete mixing pan for transmission pan drops, no splashing ATF on the floor.

I have a Fumoto Drain Valve installed on my oil pan.
I slip a 4" hose on it and drain used oil into an empty 1 gallon oil container.
Can't get any easier than that.

The Filter: I have to put a container under to catch any dripping.

Originally Posted By: Tenukitime
I'm tired of the mess every time I use the drain pan I have from Wal-Mart. Anybody have a good recommendation of a drain pan?

Also I need something to store the oil in to transport it to recycle. What do you guys use? It would be nice if it could hood 3+ gallons, has a larger opening(as in 3-5 inches) with a carrying handle.

Drain pan: Standard plastic from Wal-Mart
Used oil storage container: 5-gallon plastic gas can from Wal-Mart.

Thanks for the reply guys. I refuse to use anything from Walmart. I had one like the black one posted above, and it leaked all over my garage while I was out of town. My wife drove in and out of the garage about 20 times in that time and there was a trail of oil out the garage and down the street. I took it back to get a simple $3 drain pan which I just returned last night because the spout won't direct the oil properly, and it just makes another massive mess every time I use it.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Nice, but a better system for me is this: Buy your oil in the gallon sized jugs only. Have one of those round plastic pans with a spout that fits into top of the jug. Have a spare jug around from any antifreeze or other commodity. Do your change using the jug of oil. Immediately pour the used oil back into the jug it came from and if you have more than a gallon pour the rest into one of the empty jugs. Cap the jugs and dispose of the oil when you can.

This is pretty much what I've been doing, but the place I take it won't dispose of the jug for me. That would be great! I think I'm going to go with a 5 gallon jug like THIS

And for a drain pan, after looking around, I think I'm going to go with one of THESE. I used one similar when I worked at the service shop at my University and I like the enclosed funnel because all the oil goes where you intend it to. Hopefully this one is as good as the one at the shop.

I used to do that, but I always spill it all over the place trying to funnel it back into the jug.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I used to do that, but I always spill it all over the place trying to funnel it back into the jug.

You don’t need a funnel. The spout of the pan fits in the jug.

All of my used oil goes back into the gallon jugs, too. I have many gallon jugs of used oil in my crawl space. Maybe they will raise the value of my house?

I use this . The high sides almost eliminate splashing and on my wife's Honda, I can drain the filer and oil pan at the same time. Once I'm done I have several old 5qt oil jugs from old oil changes that I have kept. Use a large funnel to fill them. When I haul my trash off I take the jugs there and pour them out into their used oil barrels and bring the 5qt jugs back home with me. Works well for me.

Last edited:
Another reason I'm glad to go away from the 5 qt jugs is the (minor) hassle of trying to figure out what I've got. Is that container full of used oil or new? Now I'll just have new oil in jugs and old oil in my 5 gal jug.

I have had great luck with the Flotool pan posted, but it was from Wal-Mart, lol.

As far as oil storage, I have a couple 5 gal pails with pop-up spouts in the lid. The metal is a little less cumbersome for some reason...

Q4Zxz13.jpg

There's a farm implement place in town that has a large 500 gal tote I dump it into. The 5qt jugs do ok in pinch, but accumulate fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back