Best oil and OCI for short trips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Option 1 is awesome. Frequent changes in the middle of winter are for poor people or psychos. Use the Mobil 1 5w-30 for 6 months up to 7500 miles to get you through winter, then use 10w-30 for summer, repeat.

I like Option 1. In fact I have the same commute as you. I live about 5 miles one way to work. Our vehicles (an Isuzu Trooper and a Toyota Sienna) do not get their deserved work out through the week but I make sure that on weekends they each get their share of a long drive (about 100 miles total). I'm using Mobil 1 5w30 right now and will replace it at about 5,000 miles. Good luck!
smile.gif

No matter how good an oil is, short trips contaminate it with fuel and water. My car and truck get new dino Pennzoil 5W-30 every 3 months. ST's in the truck, and I am still looking for a good, reasonably priced filter element for the Ecotec in the car. $8 for paper media, plastic end caps, and nothing else? Rip off!!!

quote:

Originally posted by guile:
I've read the archived data on this topic and I'm still not sure what's the best course of action.

Well. From these choices I'd say either one.
Now since you are doing short trips, I'd go with the number two only because it is more frequent.

If it were me, and I used either of these oils and didnotwantaUOAtobedoneontheoil, I would simply change DINO every OTHER month or go M1 Every third Month. ThaT-s just How I am.

Maybe a nice 50mile trip once a month will help you get rid of all the water and fuel in the oil...

M1 every 8K miles or 12 months which ever comes first.

M1 is suppose to be a decent oil. If it can't do the above, then you should ditch it and use Amsoil.

I've read the archived data on this topic and I'm still not sure what's the best course of action.

I have two Honda's; 1998 Civic EX and 2001 Odyssey EX. Recently moved, close to work ... both vehicles will now average 6000-8000 miles annually with a majority trips of 2 miles or less.

The two options I've considered:
1. Mobil 1 oil (5w-30) and M1 filter, change every 5000/6months whatever comes first

2. Good dino like Penzoil (5w-30) and WIX filter, change every 3000/4 months whatever comes first.

Concerned about acid, water, fuel deposits in oil, wear, proper lubrication ... basically the same everyone else is concerned about. I'm seeking the best option keeping simplicity in mind i.e. I don't want to do UOAs.

Thanks,
Aaron

I'm with labman and RobbieA. Frequent short trips like that, under two miles (especially during winter months) are tough on any oil. I wouldn't go more than 3,000 miles regardless so why use expensive stuff. Chevron Supreme/Havoline, GTX, or Pennz changed out at 3,000 miles.

Mikep

Well ... so far the score:
3 for Mobil/6 month OCI
3 for Dino/3-4 month OCI

Great insights, please keep them coming.

I have to vote for option number 2. Try to time the OCI so that you do not have to do it during the dead of winter
cool.gif

I like Havoline. It is cheap ($1.17) per quart at Wal-mart.

A low viscosity, 5w-30 or 10w-30, SL/CI-4 rated, diesel and gas engine oil would be the best choice here. You can find petroleum based, 10w-30 diesel oils like Delo 400, Delvac 1300, Citgo, etc at truck stops for about $1.50/qt. That would be the low cost way to go ...

If these were older engines out of warranty, I'd advise you to use a 5w-40, commercial engine oil like Rotella T, 5w-40.

TS

quote:

Originally posted by guile:

I have two Honda's; 1998 Civic EX and 2001 Odyssey EX. Recently moved, close to work ... both vehicles will now average 6000-8000 miles annually with a majority trips of 2 miles or less.

The two options I've considered:
1. Mobil 1 oil (5w-30) and M1 filter, change every 5000/6months whatever comes first

2. Good dino like Penzoil (5w-30) and WIX filter, change every 3000/4 months whatever comes first.

Concerned about acid, water, fuel deposits in oil, wear, proper lubrication ... basically the same everyone else is concerned about. I'm seeking the best option keeping simplicity in mind i.e. I don't want to do UOAs.

Thanks,
Aaron

At least to me, when the vehicle is driven in short trip conditions, the most important oil trait is one with a high TBN.

Forget 15w-40's...really not the best choice for you.
10w-30 HDEO's would work, but you can't find them anywhere.

I'd recommend Rotella-T 5w-40.

Ok, now it's
3 for syn/6month-5000 mile changes
6 for dino/3month-3000 mile changes

In these particular vehicles Honda calls for changes every 3750miles/6months. This is with dino, seems like a good synthetic should do a great job. M1 has a high TBN, would flow better during short trips, and certainly wouldn't have any problem going 5000 miles. As long as I got some highway time in every few weeks to burn off water and fuel M1 would be the better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back