Best oil and filter to use in new to me 03 Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased an 03 GMC Sierra 4x4 with 397k miles to use as a farm truck. It belonged to a highway contractor and lived a pretty easy life as a supervisor truck. Its time for an oil change and I'm trying to decide what would be the best oil and filter to use would be? I'm leaning towards PYB and an AC Delco filter.

It is an automatic and has a 5.3 in it. I usually run NAPA pro select filters and Mobil 5000 in my vehicles but I was thinking with nearly 400k on the clock that it might deserve some special treatment.

Any idea what got it to 397k? That's exactly what I'd keep using in it.

Mobil 5000 and ProSelect should work just fine.

Try 5w-30. Since it is an '03 with that many miles, if you get chatter from the pistons, then go to 10w-30.

My personal favorite would be the Pennzoil Semi-Synthetic 5w-30, which is around $18 a 5 quart jug at Wal-Mart. Only a few bucks more than yellow bottle, and 50% synthetic.

Unfortunately I don't know exactly what they ran in the truck. I do know their maintenance shop had a contract with NAPA so there's probably a pro select already on it.

How about a 5w-30 or 10w-30 high mileage oil, semi synthetic with a ac delco filter. Ur usual Napa filter is good too.

PYB will work fine for the OLM suggested intervals, and the AC Delco filter probably will too, but I like the PureOne better for the textured grip

I've got a 99 silverado with a 5.3L. Great truck and engine.
At this point I'd stay away from synthetics. An oil leak won't be worth fixing so I'd try to avoid potentially causing one.

Maxlife,defy or any other high mileage oil would be what I'd use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back