Best of the Best full synthetics...which one?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys great board here
smile.gif

How about a suggestion for me.

2002 Camaro Z28 20k miles.

I bought the car with 8900 miles and immediately changed the oil w/ M1 5w30 and a K&N Oil filter.
Oil has been changed every 3k miles.

Car is 50/50 city/hwy and is driven hard and sees the track 2 weekends a month. Live here in SC where it's hot in Summertime and gets cold for only a couple of months out of the year.

The LS1 is stock internally for now but not for long.

Recently switched to M1 0w40. Oil psi seems to hover around 50. Oil looks dark when changed.

Would you guys reccomend that I switch oils/ change intervals??

Thanks
worshippy.gif

1) Mobil 1 (price, basestock, availability, strong add. pack w/M1R)

2) Redline (basestock, moly)

3) Amsoil (basestock)

quote:

Originally posted by YBSLOW:

I bought the car with 8900 miles and immediately changed the oil w/ M1 5w30 and a K&N Oil filter.

Recently switched to M1 0w40. Oil psi seems to hover around 50. Oil looks dark when changed.

Mobil 1 0w40 is a good choice, so you can stick with that, but definitely increase your intervals! 3k is too often, go with 5-6k and your engine will still last just as long, but you'll spend less $$$ on oil and less time changing it.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by YBSLOW:

Mobil 1 0w40 is a good choice, so you can stick with that, but definitely increase your intervals! 3k is too often, go with 5-6k and your engine will still last just as long, but you'll spend less $$$ on oil and less time changing it.

Yeah I guess I'm just paranoid about tearing it up since I'm kinda hard on her. I'm going to change it again after 3k and get a uoa then next time will be 6k with another uoa and I'll make my decision from that data on how my motor likes the oil
smile.gif

Thanks guys

I use Redline and Mobil 1, but I have to say that I'd feel comfortable using Castrol GC, Amsoil, Synergyn, RP, NEO, or even the Group III 'Marketing Dept. Synthetics'.

I think that all the oils ~can~ be good, and few are bad, as long as you know the appropriate applications and oil change intervals for each oil.

Redline is still my favorite!

You did a search on Best Synthetic Oil and didnt come up with a billion Amsoil sites?? I dont think any one oil will be the best, you have to find the one thats best for your car. That in itself can take longer than you own the thing, but that is half the fun and thats why we are here!
But Id go with Mobil 1 and Amsoil. Now if those two got together and made some oil.......................

1. GC (Because it's almost a 40 weight, M1 too thin for me)
2. GC (Because it's rated 0w so it should flow like mad when cold)
3. GC (Because [for some] it's hard to find and I don't mind a good challenge.) Although my AutoZone seems to have a nice supply.

If I had to use anything else it would probably be 5/10w-30 Syntec anyway.

quote:

Yeah I guess I'm just paranoid about tearing it up since I'm kinda hard on her. I'm going to change it again after 3k and get a uoa then next time will be 6k with another uoa and I'll make my decision from that data on how my motor likes the oil

I'm hard on my 98 Corvette too (lots of WOT on the street, lots of 1/4 mile runs, plus dyno time too), but am confident my oil analysis report will show it's still completely safe to go 6k or more, just like with my LT1 Firebird. Let oil analysis be your guide.

I've gone back and forth about various oils over the last 3-4 years on BITOG. I've come to the conclusion that when evaluating an oil on all categories, Mobil 1 is still the BEST synthetic oil available. I know many will jump all over me for saying this but hear me out.

No other oil on the shelf is a full synthetic PAO/Ester based oil, will last as long as M1's 12 TBN, hold it's viscosity as well as M1 (except Castrol's one 0w-30 oil)meets as many specs as Mobil 1's line up and will keep your engine as clean. I'm not saying it's the best oil for every application and or that their are oils better for some applications. Their clearly are better, but when you factor in all aspects, it is no wonder Mobil 1 is the #1 selling oil. I think if you're a competitor, you aim for Mobil and you do acknowledge they are a great formulator with a great product.

If you're going to base BEST on a 5k mile run between M1 and any other oil, your conclusion will be different. But when taking in all aspects of an oil, M1 will stand out.

Im going to make bold, not backedup statements, but if you want the best synthetic, go with redline. If you're lazy like me and just want a good over-the-counter synthetic, mobil 1. If you want long oci, go with amsoil.

People just need to get to the point, just answer the question as it is. Our preferences is more often more important than optional/non-needed opinions for these eager-dying people who want straight answers. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back