Best Moly add for timing chain health?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the the two paths of moly additives (MOS2 Vs MoTDC). Which is the better to prevent timing chain
stretch?

Originally Posted by Chris142
I think that clean oil and not extended oci's are the best plan.

Yep +2

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by Chris142
I think that clean oil and not extended oci's are the best plan.

Yep +2

+3

Find a quality oil with Moly in it and just keep it changed at a reasonable interval. Use a UOA to determine the limit and change within it. That's all that is needed.

I do a ton of miles and keep my vehicles until the wheels fall off. I have never had a lubrication related failure, including timing chains even with high miles!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RichR
With the the two paths of moly additives (MOS2 Vs MoTDC). Which is the better to prevent timing chain
stretch?

Delving into this some more, how can Moly prevent chain stretching? It's a anti-friction component.

I agree with the suggestions to run a good oil.

If we're talking about a DI engine then soot contamination is what ruins timing chains. Therefore frequent oil changes with quality oil are the best solution. It hurts to throw away perfectly good oil at 5k miles but, if it's soot contaminated, it's not perfectly good oil anymore.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Delving into this some more, how can Moly prevent chain stretching? It's a anti-friction component.

TIMING CHAINS DO NOT "STRETCH" (metallurgically)

As each link WEARS - the overall length of the chain appears to "stretch"

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by PimTac

TIMING CHAINS DO NOT "STRETCH" (metallurgically)

As each link WEARS - the overall length of the chain appears to "stretch"

Thanks. I can see how the word stretch is misapplied here then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back