Best lube to keep ignition oiled up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this isn`t grease,but I figured this would be a good place to post about it. I`m wanting to get the best type of lube to keep the ignition in my car smooth and lubed up. Would something like RP Maxfilm be a good choice? I also was thinking about spraying it in my home stereo receiver`s attenuator and bass/mid/treble knobs. It`s from the mid 70s and the knobs make a bit of a crackling noise.

I assume you mean the "key" ignition. I would use Tri-flow. It's a synthetic lubricant with teflon in it, available at bike shops. Don't use the old graphite lubricant originally made for tumblers because it can interfere with the electricals piled onto modern key ignition systems.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I assume you mean the "key" ignition. I would use Tri-flow. It's a synthetic lubricant with teflon in it, available at bike shops. Don't use the old graphite lubricant originally made for tumblers because it can interfere with the electricals piled onto modern key ignition systems.

^^Yep,the key part of the ignition. I`ll use it also to keep the door locks lubed up too as well as my home stereo knobs. Will the Tri Flow work well with that as well?

As long as it doesn't get into the pot it should work fine.

Is the crackling noise from the knob, or is it the sound through the speakers as you trim the volume? If it's through the speakers, then you need to approach this problem differently, not with lube.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
As long as it doesn't get into the pot it should work fine.

Is the crackling noise from the knob, or is it the sound through the speakers as you trim the volume? If it's through the speakers, then you need to approach this problem differently, not with lube.

Yeah,I can hear a crackling thru the speakers occasionally when i adjust the vol,bass,mid,and treble controls. I`ve always been told to use some kind`ve silicon spray,WD-40,etc. I`ve never tried it though.

The crackling through the speakers will not be cured with lube. Don't use any of the sprays you've mentioned. The resistive surface of the pot is dirty and has smut on it that needs to be cleaned off. The electronic stores sell sprays for this. The inside of the pot needs to be flooded with this fluid while vigorously turning the pot through its range of motion. I use alcohol myself. I've solved many crackling problems that way.

In the old days they used Freon until they discovered it was an ozone depleter. Freon is an excellent degreaser. It does its job and evaporates.

An old timer who serviced our electron microscope and also collected old radios told me that solid state chassis can also be cleaned by immersing the chassis in warm water mixed with a non-abrasive cleaner, such as [censored]-n-Span and exercising the pots underwater. The solution also cleans the dust from the circuit boards. Rinse with clean water, then immediately dry in the sun or in the oven at low temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back