Best internet security suite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sprintman
Just deleted Panda Platinum Internet Security 2006 after problems. Should I get a new integrated suite odr pick individual items?

I prefer a suite. I've had good results with NOD32 and Kaspersky.

best internet security stie?

Virus.com
whistle.gif

grin2.gif

Last edited:
Had to move quickly as a-squared found a virus almost immediately just running Windows firewall. As an ex IT sales person I would never believe I would buy Symantec but the new Norton Internet Security 2009 was top raterd by so many different people I grabbed it. Now regarded as the fastest instead of the slowest we'll see how it goes.

Had to move quickly as a-squared found a virus almost immediately just running Windows firewall. As an ex IT sales person I would never believe I would buy Symantec but the new Norton Internet Security 2009 was top raterd by so many different people I grabbed it. Now regarded as the fastest instead of the slowest we'll see how it goes.

Is it as fast as they are saying? How does it compare to the free ones?

I've never been a fan of the suites. They seem to take over and get their tentacles into everything generally slowing machines to a crawl. I seem to have had good luck running just a virus scanner (free ones lately), Windows Firewall, and Windows Defender on Windows 7, or a manual spyware scanner once in a while. I am behind a NAT router also. Never have had a ny problems with any of our PC (kids using them also).

I have reached a point that I spend most of my time in Linux as it does what I need + I get tired of all the issues regarding problems with Windows.

Sure, I know that Linux is not 100% perfect - nothing in this world is.

I Run Linux Mint based on Ubuntu as it contains the plugins and codex that meets most needs.

While using Windows Vista/7 use the free version of Comodo.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I am not a fan of suites either. They are many times slow and bloated. Plus I like free programs.

Other than some minor inconviences all the free programs have worked well for me and people I installed them for.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2333448,00.asp

That's why I recommended NOD32. It is basically antivirus with decent malware detection.

Fastest easiest sw install ever. Lieveupdate to get latest definitions and processes and running full scan right now. Very impressed with what I have seen so far so looks like all the reviews were spot on.

I recently tried several Antivirus/Anti-Spyware suites and ended up sticking with Avira Premium (paid version). Avira consistently posts some of the highest detection rates and updates are pushed out every 2 hours. The team at Avira have also updated the engine and other components several times in the last few months.

Originally Posted By: Lyondellic
I recently tried several Antivirus/Anti-Spyware suites and ended up sticking with Avira Premium (paid version). Avira consistently posts some of the highest detection rates and updates are pushed out every 2 hours. The team at Avira have also updated the engine and other components several times in the last few months.

thumbsup2.gif
Good choice

NIS 2009 continues to impress the you know what outa me. Integrated product done well as this is always out performs standalone products. Having billions to spend on R&D shows.

I'm unaware of any of the big name virus/security suites that aren't absolute pigs with system resources. For people around me that insist on running windows, I've been recommending Avast. It is gentle on system resources, stays out of the way, and is very good about flagging naughty bits. Combined with an occasional run with Spybot Search and Destroy, even the most careless person can enjoy relatively good protection without their "security suite" feasting on their system resources and slowing their computer to a crawl.

http://www.avast.com/ http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
You'll be amazed at how much snappier your machine will be.

I'd just use the free version of Avira since it now detects spyware. It doesn't have all the doo dads that will slow a machine down - yet it's as powerful as suites with all the doo dads.

I've worked in IT for nearly 20 years and 14 years in electronics before that. NIS 2009 is so light on resources it's an eye opener but then they knew they had to change it completely.

I've worked in IT for nearly 20 years and 14 years in electronics before that. NIS 2009 is so light on resources it's an eye opener but then they knew they had to change it completely.

Check out this link for a comparison of Antivirus/Anti-Spyware software offerings:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report22.pdf

Norton charges $54.99 for a one year renewal, which I feel is too expensive. Avira Premium on the other hand charges ~$25 for both the intial purchase of the software and subsequent one year renewals.

I have noticed virtually no impact on my computer's performance, other than the normal use of some memory. I highly recommend Avira Premium for those who don't need all the bells and whistles in their Security Suite.

Avira free version:
Basic protection
Protects your computer against dangerous viruses, worms, Trojans and costly dialers. New: Basic Anti-Spyware.

Avira Premium (paid) version:
Advanced protection
Along AntiVir Personal it includes: Enhanced Anti-Spyware, AntiAdware, AntiPhising, MailGuard (POP3 and SMTP), WebGuard for safe surfing, RescueCD and more.

Avira Security Suite (paid) version:
Full protection
Along AntiVir Personal and AntiVir Premium, it includes: AntiSpam, Firewall, GameMode, backup, AntiBot, AntiDriveBy, ParentalControl and more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back