Best Hydrostat fluid?

Hi gents, coming up on my first 50 hour service on my little RK24 (25hp Yanmar 3 Cyl) tractor. Of course its a TYM made unit but all branded Rural King so they suggest only their fluids in the manual which tend to be on the cheaper side of things. I want this little tractor to last a long time of course so what say you guys? I'm thinking JD HyGuard? Any other top quality brands out there?

Hi gents, coming up on my first 50 hour service on my little RK24 (25hp Yanmar 3 Cyl) tractor. Of course its a TYM made unit but all branded Rural King so they suggest only their fluids in the manual which tend to be on the cheaper side of things. I want this little tractor to last a long time of course so what say you guys? I'm thinking JD HyGuard? Any other top quality brands out there?
Go on the TYM website and peruse it to see what they recommend. TYM makes good tractors, if you cannot find anything go onto the tranny manufacturer's website. Don't assume that because it's made by JD it necessarily is the appropriate oil.

JD HyGuard used to be a low bid product, yet cost the same as premiums. If you want a premium product at the right price, avoid private label and stick to a oil manufacturer's brand. Shell, Mobil, Chevron, etc. should all have a product that meets your required specs.

What does the manual say to use? I’d use that until the warranty is over then use any fluid from the big 3 if it’s cheaper.

Does it say to change the fluid at 50 hrs or just the filter?

You want to make sure it carries the same spec as what Yanmar calls for, not all oil's are created equal. I assume this is a UTF for the trans and hydraulics and front diff so be carefull. I have a new Massy Ferguson GC sub ill use factory oil till outa warranty then probably switch to Mobil or Amsoil.

pg 5-11_2.JPG

FWIW I have been using the supertech in my Branson, so far no issues

I went with Shell Rotella HD in my Mahindra. Meets the specs as I could not find Shell Spirax as recommended in my manual. Rotella HD does meet the Mahinda specs, and I believe Mahindra/TYM share some models/components on the smaller tractors. Made the hydraulic system much more responsive and quieter than the factory fill. I've seen it at TSC and Atwoods farm stores. Atwoods is far cheaper but may not be in your area.

Thanks for the replies gents. It does call for the filter and fluid change at 50 hours as the first service. Then at much longer intervals.

I'll get my manual and check up on the specs and go from there. Prefer a quality oil from the big players and will likely go for Shell or Maybe Mystic.

Thanks for the replies gents. It does call for the filter and fluid change at 50 hours as the first service. Then at much longer intervals.

I'll get my manual and check up on the specs and go from there. Prefer a quality oil from the big players and will likely go for Shell or Maybe Mystic.
I'm getting ready to do the 50 hour service on mine as well. Dealer told me to just change the filters on the trans. Mine has 10 gallons and they think changing it is excessive. Said do it at 100. They also said do the oil as prescribed in the book.

Just letting you know.

I'm getting ready to do the 50 hour service on mine as well. Dealer told me to just change the filters on the trans. Mine has 10 gallons and they think changing it is excessive. Said do it at 100. They also said do the oil as prescribed in the book.

Just letting you know.
What model tractor?

I service a lot of vehicles & equipment, when my buddy bought a kubota hydrostatic tractor I went on the forums to find a suitable hydrostatic oil.
Kubota owners are adamant about using their Super UDT ONLY in their transmissions. Many have said they tried other cheaper brands only to drain it out & refill with the Kubota fluid.
I reciently purchased a new kubota ZD1211 and serviced it with the kubota branded oil.
If you’re looking for a top tier hydrostatic fluid I believe Super UDT is what you want.
As far as engine & manual transmission fluids I use major brands such as shell rotella, Mobil Delvac ect.
90cummins

I service a lot of vehicles & equipment, when my buddy bought a kubota hydrostatic tractor I went on the forums to find a suitable hydrostatic oil.
Kubota owners are adamant about using their Super UDT ONLY in their transmissions. Many have said they tried other cheaper brands only to drain it out & refill with the Kubota fluid.
I reciently purchased a new kubota ZD1211 and serviced it with the kubota branded oil.
If you’re looking for a top tier hydrostatic fluid I believe Super UDT is what you want.
As far as engine & manual transmission fluids I use major brands such as shell rotella, Mobil Delvac ect.
90cummins
How do you like the 1211? I demoed one and really liked it. Cut my mowing time down a lot too.

I’ve had mine on order since June. Should be in later this month. Just in time for winter storage.

Our local Deere dealer has a JD equivalent in stock. I test drove it, but wasn’t feeling it. It was 2.2k more and had no hydraulic deck lift. I also wasn’t a fan of the front axle not pivoting. Didn’t seem to do too well on hills.

I've used RK's house brand (Harvest King) UTHF in my two Kubotas (L3430 and L3830) for a combined total over around 1800 hours and never had one issue. It has since changed names- called Providence now; just installed more of it into my little Mahindra Max28XL (made by Mitsubishi).

I've used RK's house brand (Harvest King) UTHF in my two Kubotas (L3430 and L3830) for a combined total over around 1800 hours and never had one issue. It has since changed names- called Providence now; just installed more of it into my little Mahindra Max28XL (made by Mitsubishi).
At least you’re using a hydrostatic rated fluid. (I’m assuming your Grand L’s are both HST.) Many just use a hydraulic fluid.

I’m sure it’s fine, but I’m still not brave enough to use non OE fluid. Kubota UDT is $18 a gallon here. UDT2 is $22.

On a side note, why the 2 xx30 series tractors? My dad has a L4330. By far my favorite style of Kubota L.

At least you’re using a hydrostatic rated fluid. (I’m assuming your Grand L’s are both HST.) Many just use a hydraulic fluid.

I’m sure it’s fine, but I’m still not brave enough to use non OE fluid. Kubota UDT is $18 a gallon here. UDT2 is $22.

On a side note, why the 2 xx30 series tractors? My dad has a L4330. By far my favorite style of Kubota L.
Actually both mine are GST (glide shift transmissions). No hydrostats.
L3430 GST with standard loader, at home on 7 ac
L3830 GST with heavy-duty loader, at the farm on 46 ac

Back