Best Hunting Flashlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you hunting after dark? Is that leagal in your area? Just curious...

Looking forward to hear some discussion as I have a light mounted on my HD shotgun; not that I trust the light much beyond the first shot. IIRC a lot of people were running the Streamlight Polytac with a 1" mount last time I research this.

How many lumens do you need? What ranges do you anticipate engaging at?

Edit: Surefire and Streamlight are kind of the go-to brands for weapons lights. That doesn't mean there aren't other good options though. Especially if you aren't outfitting a defensive rig.

Last edited:
Michigan's DNR Rangers/Officers sure don't like seeing them mounted on guns used for hunting. If I'm packing too much gear and can't hold my flashlight, I use my head-mounted flashlight.

Originally Posted By: AkiLopez
Got a Mossberg 590 and I want to mount a LED Flash Light on it. Do you have any recommendation? I'm looking at these sites: http://www.thingsreports.com/best-small-flashlight/
http://www.opticsplanet.com/gun-mount-flashlights-best-rated.html

Why you want it is your business. Some months back I purchased a new Primary Arms Gen III Weapon Light. I was extremely satisfied with both it's construction, as well as it's performance. This light is extremely robust in it's manufacture, and very bright. It comes with a very sturdy, built in mounting system, that mounts right up to any standard Picatinny Rail system with 2 thumb screws.

The light itself is the same in appearance and construction as the Gen II Model. The difference is it now comes with the new Cree XM-L2 LED bulb that puts out and incredible 750 Lumens, and is one of the brightest in the industry. Up from the 450 Lumens of the Generation II model.

I took it outside to test it out, and this weapon light literally turns night into day. They advertise a throw distance of 300 yards, and they're not kidding. I had zero problems completely illuminating a 40 foot tall palm tree at that distance, and even beyond. This light gives total illumination at that distance. To the point a person would have no problem engaging a target at that distance. I can't imagine how blinding it would be to be on the receiving end of this light. Especially at closer ranges.

The light comes with a standard push on, push off rear switch. Or it can be had with an optional pressure pad switch that can be mounted in your choice of places. These lights are manufactured in China. With that said, they possess very good quality for the price. Chinese goods have advanced today to the point where we now have both "good China", and "bad China". This is definitely high quality Chinese manufacturing. The anodized coating is very durable, and evenly applied. The light also has a removable mid section that reduces it to 2 cell from 3 cell. (CR-123-A batteries), if you want a smaller profile light. The light is the same brightness, but obviously has a longer run time in the 3 cell configuration.

For anyone looking for a good, high quality weapon light, but don't like the idea of paying Surefire prices, I highly recommend this light. Primary Arms is very good to deal with, and you will not be disappointed in this light's quality, or it's performance. I should also mention it comes in Black, as well as Flat Dark Earth, and includes a full 1 year warranty.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-ultimate-weapon-light-gen-iii/p/kt-pawl-2bkgeniii/

most of what is on that things report is cheap and nasty $5 chinese junk.
nothing i would trust to work in the situation where it is needed on a shotgun.home defense target identification.
surefire all the way for weapons lights.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
most of what is on that things report is cheap and nasty $5 chinese junk.
nothing i would trust to work in the situation where it is needed on a shotgun.home defense target identification.
surefire all the way for weapons lights.

The heart of ANY light is the bulb. I don't care who makes it, or where it's made. They employ Cree LED bulbs. They're manufactured in North Carolina. I've been using 2 of these lights for well over a year now without a single problem or issue. And have several hours on both of them. It's constructed from all machined and anodized Aluminum. The light does exactly what it's supposed to do, and is ruggedly constructed. It does it at 1/5th the price. If you want to spend 5 times more, go ahead. But it doesn't mean that everything priced less is, "junk". Especially if it's coming from someone who has never handled it, let alone used it for any length of time.

i was commenting on the junk site with the recommendations.most of what is listed IS CHEAP JUNK.i have a rule.if a site i have never heard of before is recommending something i assume its a shill.this has never failed.and that site sticks out like a sore thumb.
a $1.99 sk68 clone does not make it to any best of list except cheapest.not in the class being discussed here.yet there it is on that reveiw site.
as for the primaryarms light i have not had one personally but it looks just like a $15.00 one i saw on dealextreene or such chinese site.
it may very well be a great unit.but one does not gamble on weaponlights.ask around/search cpf or blf
hacking cheap lights is fine to make them good though.
blf
and you would be shocked that 75% of the lights claiming cree leds actually contain counterfeit/clone leds!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kc8adu
......as for the primaryarms light i have not had one personally........... it may very well be a great unit. but one does not gamble on weaponlights..... you would be shocked that 75% of the lights claiming cree leds actually contain counterfeit/clone leds!

Then how can you possibly comment on it's quality if you've never had one? It's not a "gamble", if you have purchased 2 of them, and run both for several hours proving them out on many different weapons. Just because it's an expensive, (and in many cases overpriced), light and brand, doesn't mean for an instant it can't fail. I've seen it with both Surefire and Streamlight brands.

Cree is Cree, pure and simple. They are manufactured in North Carolina, as I stated. Look it up. They are not attaching their name to inferior products, anymore than Surefire would. If you think this is the case, I would appreciate you providing a link proving this. Otherwise it's simply more Internet nonsense. We already have more than enough of that silly hearsay to go around.

cree does not make flashlights.
yes they make leds and good ones at that.
but most of the whoflungdung flashlight makers are using clones of cree leds while CLAIMING they use the real ones.
now if you want to send me one of the ones you bought for teardown and review thats fine.then we both know its build quality or lack thereof.
its quite possible its a great unit.its just as possible that its a generic cheapie with a name stenciled on it.
its also possible someone at cpf or blf has already done this and has even posted the oem and other brands that are the same unit.
fake cree

Last edited:
I have some cheapo light on my HD pistol. Pretty nice light. Its durability is unknown but it will work for the first shot.

Primary Arms sells good stuff for the money. I have their RDS on my AR and it functions perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back