Best High-Mileage 0W-20 for Oil Consumption? (updated at post 64)

I've found that M1 HM 0W20 is the thickest of the 20W's (even thicker than 5W20's) at op temp according to specs. Oddly, it's also one of the thinnest at cold temp. I've got nothing to say beyond listing this interesting data I saw.

FWIW Mobil 1 oils have been the ones that I have had the most consumption issues with in my aforementioned Subaru. I have used the following different versions of Mobil 1 0w20: AFE, EP, EP HM. I only bought it because of the rebates but the results of using it were so unimpressive that I don't think I will ever use their stuff again even if they offer rebates.

FWIW Mobil 1 oils have been the ones that I have had the most consumption issues with in my aforementioned Subaru. I have used the following different versions of Mobil 1 0w20: AFE, EP, EP HM. I only bought it because of the rebates but the results of using it were so unimpressive that I don't think I will ever use their stuff again even if they offer rebates.
I've seen this mentioned by others too. Seems it either helps better than others, or actually causes increased consumption. Strange.

What year is the Subaru?
2014, and the VIN is just outside the VIN range for the piston ring warranty extension. Supposedly this one already has the updated rings. Subaru offered to contribute towards the repair but the out of pocket is still significant.

Ordered him a 5-qt jug of Valvoline High Mileage Full Synthetic w/Maxlife technology. Reasons:

1) Major brand
2) Dexos 1 Gen 2 licensed, so seal compatibility should not be an issue and volatility must be below 13%.
3) On rollback to $21.57
I agree get maxlife it make my oil seepage to to no seepage at all 2 choice pennzoil high mileage

I wonder if a 5W20 would burn less vs a 0W20?
Not in my experience although it was only one OCI. My daughter's 2015 Legacy was generally burning about 1/2 qt of 0W-20 at 6k mile intervals and that recently increased to 3/4 qt. I tried Castrol Edge HM 5W-20 and it made no noticeable difference. I have M1 0W-20 High Mileage in it now so I'll see how that goes.

Granted, it does have over 90k miles on it and burning 3/4 quart at 6k mile intervals isn't really that bad. I wanted to stick with the manual recommendation given that she has an extended warranty, but will probably bump it up to something thicker eventually.

Not in my experience although it was only one OCI. My daughter's 2015 Legacy was generally burning about 1/2 qt of 0W-20 at 6k mile intervals and that recently increased to 3/4 qt. I tried Castrol Edge HM 5W-20 and it made no noticeable difference. I have M1 0W-20 High Mileage in it now so I'll see how that goes.

Granted, it does have over 90k miles on it and burning 3/4 quart at 6k mile intervals isn't really that bad. I wanted to stick with the manual recommendation given that she has an extended warranty, but will probably bump it up to something thicker eventually.
My money says likely not half of the people on BITOG are getting that little oil usage from my 3 days + on the forum now. If that car was mine I wouldn't change a thing unless I could find another full synthetic oil on sale with a rebate.

I think this one is going thru 2 qts between the 7500 mile oil changes.

With that kind of consumption I would try a 5w30 HM oil.
Agreed.

@The Critic maybe you can mention the language in the owner's manual that a thicker viscosity required in hot temps.

2014 Legacy manual page 11-15 (same language for all models)
NOTE
Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine.

This is contradictory to some other parts of the manual, but it's there.

The new manuals now have a section on oil consumption. See page 483 of the 2020 Legacy manual.

Last edited:
I wonder if a 5W20 would burn less vs a 0W20?

I was going to suggest M1 EP 5/20. It's a heavy 20...coming in at 9 at 100° C.

I wouldn't hesitate to run a 5/30 in it either....especially something like Valvoline synthetic which isn't a particular heavy 30. Or is you want to go heavy, M1 HM 5/30 is 11.9.

That said....I have a friend with a '13 Scion FR-S. As most of you know, the engine is mostly Subaru. It's spec'd for 0/20. It's both is DD and auto-x rig. He's used M1 0/40 from day one. It's now 8 years old with 70k hard miles on it. Zero issues

Like it was said before, some engines will burn more or less same amount of oil regardless of oil brand or even grade. I'm seeing only slightly less burning with 0w40 compared to 5w30 in my VQ engine.

Back