Best High-Mileage 0W-20 for Oil Consumption? (updated at post 64)

Neighbor's Subaru FB25 takes 0W-20 and is an oil burner. We are open to trying different brands of high-mileage synthetic 0W-20.

Has anyone found a particular brand to be less susceptible to oil consumption?
Would an Ester based oil like Red Line Performance or Amsoil Signature be a good choice? Red Line oils tend to a bit thicker also within their viscosity. I am having good luck with Kendall GT-1 Max in 160,000 miles on a 2008 Sierra which seems to be using less oil though this one is 5w30.

FWIW Valvoline Full Synthetic 5W30 HM is a thinner 30 grade. If you are a bit hesitant on trying a 30, you might try that.

Not a bad idea, but the owner feels more comfortable with a major-brand.

Owner only wants to use the OEM specified viscosity.

Is the Subaru still under warranty? I would tell your neighbor you charge $30 for oil advice.

Sounds like his mind is already made up, so I'd tell him RTFM.

Neighbor's Subaru FB25 takes 0W-20 and is an oil burner. We are open to trying different brands of high-mileage synthetic 0W-20.

Has anyone found a particular brand to be less susceptible to oil consumption?
Trust me that car than engine this isn't an oil issue! My Corolla is speced for 5W-30 2019 I ran 5W-20 in the Corolla oil used in that OIC was pretty close to the norm for the car less than half a quart! Its time to stop lying to the customers to satisfy CAFE!

Trust me that car than engine this isn't an oil issue! My Corolla is speced for 5W-30 2019 I ran 5W-20 in the Corolla oil used in that OIC was pretty close to the norm for the car less than half a quart! Its time to stop lying to the customers to satisfy CAFE!
Does this need to be cleaned up? Context is important and I don't understand what you are saying in a lot of this post.

153A6D5E-ABDE-4F58-AD8B-125BC659E8DA.jpeg

A little update:

The Forester went 3700 miles on Havoline Lifelong 0W-20 SP before the low oil light came on. When the light comes on, it is 1.1-1.2 qt low (as shown in the picture). This is longer than any other brand.

Valvoline, Subaru OE and M1 have required a top-off by 2500-3k. It looks like Havoline went a bit longer, but this could have been due to a variation in operating conditions.

View attachment 97969
A little update:

The Forester went 3700 miles on Havoline Lifelong 0W-20 SP before the low oil light came on. When the light comes on, it is 1.1-1.2 qt low (as shown in the picture). This is longer than any other brand.

Valvoline, Subaru OE and M1 have required a top-off by 2500-3k. It looks like Havoline went a bit longer, but this could have been due to a variation in operating conditions.
Maybe this isnt the right way of looking at it, but I would prefer to add periodically than let it run to the point that you get a low indicator. I would worry that if it got that low, you could be causing more wear on the engine.

Remember this?👇 @The Critic

For 3700 miles, that oil looks rough!
Maybe try a cleaner to free up possibly stuck rings?
Dirt or bad blow by seems to be mucking up the oil.

Tell your neighbor to check the dipstick and not wait for a light before he ruins that motor. I like QSFS and high mileage but Havoline alway performed well for me too QS is easier to get ahold of for me but I would run 30 weight in it. Try running HPL Cleaner oil for a oci, change filter every 1500 miles and try to clean the rings up. Have QSFS 5w30 in my Element and it is holding up better than Maxlife FS I had in it, only used .4qt vs 1 qt is 3k miles. Draining a qt once I get the car back from my son to put a qt of the HPL cleaner oil in it.

Ordered him a 5-qt jug of Valvoline High Mileage Full Synthetic w/Maxlife technology. Reasons:

1) Major brand
2) Dexos 1 Gen 2 licensed, so seal compatibility should not be an issue and volatility must be below 13%.
3) On rollback to $21.57

I’m confused. Valvoline went in but Havoline came out?

Are oils changing midstream like a lot of people are these days? 🧑🏼‍🎤👩‍🎤

I took care of an oil burning fb25 6mt outback for a friend from 200k-280k the original engine consumed a quart every 500 miles until the last 10k it used a quart every 150 miles. The least consumption was with m1 0w40. No flushes or additives, cleanings, driving styles, pcv valve or happy dances changed the consumption rate.
When I pulled the engine at 280k the cylinders had 90% leakage at the rings from leakdown test. Found a low mileage used engine for him and it's done 30k since then with consumption less than a quart in 6k. Also with m1 0w40. My advice is to find the happy oil (which you may have done) and it will run much longer than one might think as long as they keep oil in it

Back