Best guess on tire life remaining?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of the tires off of the back of my '79 Ford. They came with the truck and until now, I haven't seen fit to replace them... Not sure how old it is, but I'd say at least 20 years. Truck did a lot of sitting prior to me owning it- not that I drive it that much...

Anyway, I took it to work on the other day to fix the electric choke which wasn't heating up. I found the problem, then went to lunch. Coming back, I made a turn off of a side street through a water puddle that had a bunch of leaves in it and decided to punch it and spin the tires thoroughly (relax- I checked and there wasn't anybody else on the road). Anyway, just as it was getting a good head of steam up BANG! Thwack thwack thwack...

Got out and found this:
20141105_110417_zpsibo51qv3.jpg

It still held air too. I was thinking about ripping the tread off and limping the last couple miles back to the shop so I could use regular tools and a jack, that wasn't happening.

The tire had been complaining for some time now with a pronounced wobble- but I just kept ignoring it. Went to put the spare on- an even older Goodyear H78 and surprisingly it still had air in it! I know I checked it last year but at that tire's age, I didn't expect much.

I now have 4 Firestone Destination At's on the way now, that way I don't have to worry If my wife wants or needs to take it out of town.

That's just a directional tread now. Drive it so it runs over its own gator skin.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
You have a couple blocks left on that one. You should have left it on. As long as it stays round, its good to go.

If I could have gotten away with it, I would have. That darn tread section was thrashing about pretty good! Already bent the exhaust pipe, tore off a brace and bent the rear quarter a bit.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
That's just a directional tread now. Drive it so it runs over its own gator skin.

That could make a heck of a snow tire!

Originally Posted By: Kira
So glad that didn't happen at speed. Kira

No doubt! I just had it out on the highway, going out of town to pick up some winter insulating supplies the day before!

Like I said, I really didn't want my wife to have to deal with it- she's no dummy or wimp and can change her own tire, but I'd just rather not cross that bridge- especially like you said, at speed and on the front!

Not an original- those were a G or H rated 78. These are p-metrics. Firestone Town and Countries... The spare is closer to being an original and very well could be? It's an old H78.

I am extremely jealous of your life insurance beneficiary :) Seriously, you are taking your (and probably other peoples) life in hand every time you drive with these kind of tires.

No more so than anyone else that suffers a catastrophic tire failure on the road.

Unfortunately, that's how many Firestone tires have ended their miserable existence over the years...

That doesn't seem to be an issue now a days, does it? I don't remember hearing about it anytime in the last several years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back