Best grease for AWD actuator disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a Trailblazer SS and have replaced this part before it seems that it's a poor design by GM rather than the component itself being weak. They chose to use grease instead of gear oil. The grease eventually comes off the shaft and the splines get twisted. Here's the part I'm referring too.

https://www.amazon.com/ATP-Automotive-111002-Front-Disconnect/dp/B004QBY4I8

My plan is to drill a fitting so I can regrease it every so often without having to remove the part. What's the best grease you guys would suggest for this? I have attached a picture of the aftermath when it failed the first time.

I've narrowed it down to 3 choices:

Redline cv-2 with moly

Amsoil Dominator racing grease with Calcium Sulfinoide

Royal Purple Ultra High Performance with Aluminum

Thanks for the help.

20161027_130722.jpg

I rebuilt mine 4 years, 60,000km ago using Mobil 1 red synthetic grease. I just pulled the CV shaft out last month and added a smear of it again on the inner bearings since I had it ripped down that far. I never had any issues and the #2 grease never caused any hang ups when shifting to 4x4 in the dead of winter on a cold axle.

Its a sh&t design, that's for sure. AN oil bathed disconnect would have been much better.

Originally Posted by buck91
How does it work? Does it engage under load? Is there a clutch mechanism?

Not sure on the technical aspects however, its basically a bearing with internal gears in it and it's engaged all the time with the awd unlile the 4x4 trailblazer. It's basically what makes the awd mechanism work when it failed I lost all gears and even park didn't work the truck was rolling back on a hill when it failed and my parking brake wouldn't hold it. I'm sure it gets plenty hot which is why I'm looking for a grease thats higher temp >350 F.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BrianF
I rebuilt mine 4 years, 60,000km ago using Mobil 1 red synthetic grease. I just pulled the CV shaft out last month and added a smear of it again on the inner bearings since I had it ripped down that far. I never had any issues and the #2 grease never caused any hang ups when shifting to 4x4 in the dead of winter on a cold axle.

Its a sh&t design, that's for sure. AN oil bathed disconnect would have been much better.

Thanks. Some guys have converted it to use gear oil however the internal seals aren't made for gear oil and some have reported leaks.

I was pondering the idea of oil bath but the seals were the hang up. I looked at the design for a grease nipple but I think it would need at least 2. One to grease the outside of the slip collar and one between the two outmost two bearings.

Originally Posted by BrianF
I was pondering the idea of oil bath but the seals were the hang up. I looked at the design for a grease nipple but I think it would need at least 2. One to grease the outside of the slip collar and one between the two outmost two bearings.

True. However, it appears that 90% of the issues are on one side the side where the teeth/splines are shortest. Had they made them a bit longer this would also help them from failing. It also doesn't help my case I want to modify my ss for occasional drag racing here and there. If it's already failing with basic performance modifications then it will really put a dent on my wallet later on. It might be better that I do with it all together and eventually convert it to rear wheel drive.

Edit: Do you think one grease fitting at collar would be sufficient I figured the grease would still make it's way in from all the centrifugal force and heat being generated. If it fails on me again I'll be forced to do a 2wd conversion.

Last edited:
I would hope there is some grease that migrates.... I remember there was not a lot in and around the bearings when I tore it down though. This last time I packed the bearings as good as I could and the small void in and around them during the rebuild. This last inspection there was still some nice red grease in there but a little extra back on the bearings for good measure.

I daily drive mine and with the little 4.2 I don't have much power, which does not test the powertrain much at all... thankfully it is still in decent shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back