best gear oil for the moneys ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
its my 98 mustang gt 5 speed with 8.8 rear diff, I drove every day local, high way, race time to time, Im change 1 a year, so what is best fluid for rear and tranny for the moneys ? thanks

At a Chevron oil jobber look them up in the phone book or at a place that sells commercial truck parts . I buy the Delo at the oil jobber.

For your axle: discounted Amsoil "Severe Gear", mail-order from of our forums Amsoil reps.

For your trans: not sure what the popular lube on the Mustang forums is for your trans but I think it's Mercon V ATF. If that's true then you'd be fine with the Wal-Mart house brand of Mercon V. All brands of Mercon V are virtually the same (have to be per Ford licensing agreement).

You should call the store or jobber by where you live and the Amsoil at 1 year change intervals isn't the proper application and you will never receive any value for the money spent.

If that rear end is a positraction type, make sure you get a fluid with additives in it - specifically stated for posi rear ends on the label.
For a common fluid, Mobil 1 75-90 is good.
For the trans, skip the ATF and use a real gear oil. Synchromesh types are slightly thicker than ATF, offer better protection, and shift better.
Amsoil or Redline are 2 of the best.

Even though it cost 10.00 a qt Redline is well worth it.

Also Dougherbert.com has redline motor oil for 8.99 a Qt.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
there is Redline, then everything else if cost enters the picture.

I scored RL 75W-140 for almost $2 less per quart (including shipping) than I could get M1 or Motorcraft 75W-140 locally. More for less, win - win in my book.

We are all very much aware of Amsoil's gear oil study, and we are also all very aware that it was an Amsoil gear oil study.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Also Dougherbert.com has redline motor oil for 8.99 a Qt.

Thanks for the heads up!

That's the first place that I've seen sell the gallon jugs for less too, only $7.74 per quart if you buy the jug.
11.gif

Summit Racing also carries a wide selection of Red Line gear oils. I just ordered a gallon of 75W-140 for my Jeep diffs. It comes with the limited slip additives so no extra messing around with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back