best full-feature browser for low resource winxp machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I bought a sony vaio PCG-SRX87 mini-laptop a few years back. Its great for a very compact unit to run microsoft streets and trips, etc on, and have full PC functionality. Ive been very happy with it.

While performance is good for day to day stuff, especially considering its only a PIII m low voltage 850 mhz processor and 256 mb ram running winXP, I think that a browser change is in order. I asked a similar question about my old win95 box that we use at our place in the mountains, but this is similar, though the computer has a lot more power.

So,

what is the best full-featured browser that is optimal for use with windows XP. Minimal use of RAM is my one concern...

Thanks!

JMH

Check out Opera at www.opera.com least amount of bugs as per www.secunia.com does mail, news and web as well as RSS, super fast to load and very low memory consumption out of the box, can be configured to go even lower. Comes with everything ready out of the box and no tweaking needed.

I'm going to install Linspire on an old Dell 550mhz laptop with 128MB of RAM. If it goes well this weekend, I'll let you know. I have high hopes as it will remove the layer of needed A/V software from the CPU load....

Firefox is the browser of choice. Linux is the OS of choice.
smile.gif

I'm running Firefox Win98 PII/400Mhz 320megs RAM. It's fine.

The more I use Firefox I am beginning to realize it is much superior to IE.

Anything is superior to buggy IE. I use both Opera and Firefox. Both are excellent but different and are available on many OS.
Opera: Different and better GUI, fast(est), small memory footprint. Lastest Beta has BitTorrent protocol included.
Firefox: GUI is more like IE but better, faster, easier....

Firefox is great, Opera is worth a try too. I've never tried to test which one is better at memory. Kameleon is the real stripped down mozilla browser, but it is pretty buggy and way behind in development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back