Best filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I got a built up Ford 351W in a mustang with a high volume oil pump....full roller everything. The engine builder said to use 10W30 synthetic. I only drive the car about a thousand miles a year. My question to you guys is what filter should I use. Long intervals does not matter since I change it once a year with only around 2K like I said. I'm really only worried about the flow. This car runs about 60-70 psi most of the time. I currently have a Mobil 1 filter on the car but I will be changing it soon and getting the car ready for spring.

Mobil 1 will work just fine.

If you want to spend more, the only oil filters I'd personally consider would be:

Fram Ultra

Royal Purple

Amsoil

I would use a high flow like the Fram HP1 or the Ford Performance high flow oil filter (I don't have the model number for the 351 with me).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
I would use a high flow like the Fram HP1 or the Ford Performance high flow oil filter (I don't have the model number for the 351 with me).

Yep, especially if the car has an aftermarket high flow oil pump.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by PowerSurge

Yep, especially if the car has an aftermarket high flow oil pump.

Ford Racing Filters are the best on the planet, possibly the known universe for a Ford. I cut open a new one, and reported my findings IN THIS THREAD.

Link to Ford Racing page for FL1-A

80A304BA-AB2C-4DE6-A0C4-E993062BBD55.jpeg

Originally Posted by Realfine69
Hey guys, I got a built up Ford 351W in a mustang with a high volume oil pump....full roller everything. The engine builder said to use 10W30 synthetic. I only drive the car about a thousand miles a year. My question to you guys is what filter should I use. Long intervals does not matter since I change it once a year with only around 2K like I said. I'm really only worried about the flow. This car runs about 60-70 psi most of the time. I currently have a Mobil 1 filter on the car but I will be changing it soon and getting the car ready for spring.

Mobil 1 is a very good filter.

Who gets a car ready for spring with it being December and snow on the ground.

I had a 1969 Mach 1 Mustang with a 351W engine. Holley 4 barrel. Great car. Kinda wish I did not sell it.

You could look at K+N and see what their flow specs are. I think they're known for their flow. Out of curiosity, what oil is in the sump right now? That Ford filter looks pretty hefty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Mobil 1 will work just fine.

If you want to spend more, the only oil filters I'd personally consider would be:

Fram Ultra

Royal Purple

Amsoil

^^^^^^^This right here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ But I would use the FRAM Ultra 1st........RP 2nd.

For the limited miles you could use any cheap filter, it won't get dirty enough to bypass on such a short interval & limited usage.
If you really want the 'best' filter, use a remote filter mount to allow you to fit a huge Donaldson commercial filter - some of these trucks do a 100,000 mile oci so there filters are plenty durable, plenty stout, and trusted by companies to keep their trucks on the road which is crucial to make the profit that keeps the world turning

Commercial filters are nearly always better

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I saw the Ford Racing filter and thought that would look really nice on the engine since the filter is in plain sight but it does go for $23. When I got the car it had the royal purple filter on it. Right now as far as what's in it for oil it's got 10W30 Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage. I was thinking about using Valvoline VR1 10W30 synthetic but I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
It depends how serious you want to get.

The basic approach is to use a high quality filter in the factory configuration. This leaves the bypass valve in place, which means the engine may see unfiltered oil at times. That usually isn't an issue, and plenty of race engines last just fine this way. My pick would be a Wix XP filter. The element is very tough, the synthetic media flows well, and the filtration efficiency is good for a street engine.

The race car approach is to eliminate the bypass valve, and run a coarse filter that flows enough to not need the bypass. The engine always gets filtered oil, and any particles large enough to cause major damage never make it to critical parts during the race. Since there is no fine filtration, this isn't the best idea for a street engine, though it may work with frequent oil changes. Wix Racing oil filters fall into this category.

I would consider the air filter choice to be equally important. Stay away from any filter you can see daylight through. Wix Racing filters with HEE media have good CFM flow, but still filter fine enough for dirt track use.

For oil, I've had good results with Mobil 1 0W-40 or Redline synthetics.

I pulled out a Mobil 1 cartridge filter from my daughters Mercedes ML and was not impressed. It had been there for 5-6k with Mobil 0-40. The pleats were separated and bent. None of them were straight. I didn't see any tears but wish I had photographed it. I told her not to buy them anymore. We replaced it with a Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I'd use the Ford Performance filter but, only change it every 3d year. Ed

That's what I'd do to if the car was only driven 1000 miles per year.

Ford Performance FL-1A
I buy mine from the local Ford dealer for $15 bucks
As you stated on the Windsor engine the oil filter is in plain site so a good looking oil like this one would be perfect plus it's a great filter.

F66F7962-11D5-45FC-8375-B18034C15EB4.jpeg

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Ford Performance FL-1A
I buy mine from the local Ford dealer for $15 bucks
As you stated on the Windsor engine the oil filter is in plain site so a good looking oil like this one would be perfect plus it's a great filter.

Fl1a ford racing come with silicone ADBv ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back