Best filter to run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I just bought a new to me ram truck i bought a couple of Motorcraft fl400s from wally world. Shoulda checked here 1st now I'm learning that they are tear a leators.should I take em back or should I roll with em? Anyone know about the purolator boss? Is it any good? I've been searching on here not much about them.

The Motorcraft fl 400s have just about always looked great here when cut open after being run. I would use a Motorcraft fl 400s on my lady's 98 Camry with no question.

I also wanted to share I changed the oil last weekend. It had a valvoline e core. When I spun the filter off not much of hardly much oil came out. Which leaves me to believe that the anti drain back valve my not have been working as good. So these motorcraft fl400s are ok? I saw mr.Quakers cut open looks ok.So I may sleep at night now.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Ford isn't going to risk millions of dollars of warranty repairs by putting out a bad filter.

But haven't there been pictures of torn filters?

I'd run the FL400S , great filter for the price.
Used to run FL910S and the FL400S on my old Pontiac Vibe .
Never had any tears and always looked great after 5K miles.

The FL820S was the biggest culprit of tearing.
The FL400S and FL910S have been shown to not really have this issue, but I personally won't buy any Purolator made filter due to their lack of response on filter tears.

The boss media is very stout, but there have been issue with ADV slices (but nothing definitive that it is actually an issue).

I purchase the fram tough guard for my Mazda no issues.I have cut them open no problems.how ever at wally world looking at the tg3600 for the ram there was no weight to the filter i was wondering if there is an actual filter element in it. So I chose the motorcraft. Yes I know not scientific at all please feel free to flame me.

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Boss has problems with the ADBV developing slits in them

any proof ?

Quite a few photos posted here of the cut ADBV over the last couple years.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Boss has problems with the ADBV developing slits in them

any proof ?

Quite a few photos posted here of the cut ADBV over the last couple years.

I give it a try see how it does.

Note that about a decade or so ago, Ford Motorcraft FL-400S used to have a longer canister. Some other cross reference filters still produce the filter with the taller canister. Just a little bit more filter media & capacity, if that is important to you. AD Delco PFL400ACS uses the taller canister. I also ran across the Bosch Work Shop which has a taller canister. Depending on fitment, some people have even used the Ford Motorcraft FL-1A, which is a larger filter with the same 3/4-16 thread.

[Linked Image]

Wow.ok. So if I have room the motorcraft fl-1a is a direct cross reference to my fl400s. And the cross reference to the fl-1a to the fram tough guard would be the tg8a. I could in theory use that big beast.or better yet the fram xg8a?

Only if you have room, and it fits. Same thread pitch doesn't mean that the filter will fit up to the oil pump. The canister is taller, and has a larger diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back