Best filter for new 09 Silverado with 5.3ltr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming up on the first oil change and was looking to see what the best filter to use would be. I have read the good reviews of Wix filters, but was also wondering about Amsoil filters. I plan to run a good 5w30 syn. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: MontyD
Coming up on the first oil change and was looking to see what the best filter to use would be. I have read the good reviews of Wix filters, but was also wondering about Amsoil filters. I plan to run a good 5w30 syn. Thanks in advance.

Royal Purple
K&N
M1
Wix/Napa Gold
Purolator
Baldwin
Hastings

I ran a K&N on my 07( NBS - same as yours ). AC filters used to be pretty good quality but ever since so many of them began to come with the ECORE technology I have not been a fan. Not sure if the PF48 is an ECORE filter or not?

Last edited:
AC Delco's are a good choice as well.......

Not a 'popular' option, but Frams 'Extended Guard' Synthetic filters are a good product.

Honestly, I don't think it matters a huge amount. I've used a number of good quality filters and never had a problem (don't know what kind of problem I'd have.....)

I've used NAPA Gold (Wix), AC Delco (on my truck now), Purolator, the better made Fram filters... I think that's it. Whatever I can find a good deal on, I'll use as long as its not a piece of junk.

Personally, the only time I see an oil filter making a noticeable difference is during very long OCI's, well over 10,000 miles. Then, you'd better have a solid preventive maintenance process in place, with the filter choice part of your maintenance plan analysis. Anything less and you'll be fine with any well made product.

AS mentioned oil filters really don't make a whole lot of difference untill extended oil change intervals are done. The air filter and a sealed intake are way more important.

Thanks for the help. Looks like I will try out the Wix or Napa Gold filter. Steve, you had mentioned the air filter, what would be a good brand to stick with? Thanks.

Thanks for the help. Looks like I will try out the Wix or Napa Gold filter. Steve, you had mentioned the air filter, what would be a good brand to stick with? Thanks.

still wix or napa gold for filter.

One last thing....I noticed that the Mobil 1 oil filters use a synthetic fiber blend media rather than a paper media like the Wix and other brands. Is there any benefit to running the synthetic media opposed to the paper?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Wix uses a blended filter media as well, on their Gold filters.

I use them on my Silverado.

Doesn't Wix only make one grade of filter and Napa has the silver, nascar and gold? Or is there seperate grades of Wix?

Wix makes one filter level under its name. NG and CarQuest Blue are this identical filter. Within that product, I imagine that medias and whatnot will vary based on application requirements. Anything else made by Wix under other labels is not a "Wix®" product. They just manufacture it.

I've been warming up to the Purolator made Bosch Premium oil filters with synthetic blend media...

"Bosch Premium Oil Filters, featuring Bosch FILTECH, utilize an exclusive blend of natural and synthetic materials to provide superior oil filtration and increased engine wear protection. The Bosch FILTECH filtering area is up to 42% larger than conventional filters. Plus, the filter media is close to 30% thicker, and can screen out more harmful contaminants than a conventional filter."

One last thing....I noticed that the Mobil 1 oil filters use a synthetic fiber blend media rather than a paper media like the Wix and other brands. Is there any benefit to running the synthetic media opposed to the paper?

If your not doing extended OCI's then the wix/ng will work great,nice filters.

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 and Pure1. As good as they get and easy to find.

Newbie question here, but, how are they better compared to the Wix/Napa Gold Line? What micron and flow rating is the M1113 (equiv. of PF48)? Through searching on here, it seems that you may sacrifice some flow for added filtration with the Pure1 and M1, is that correct? I have no problem spending a little extra to get a good filter. I would just like to know what makes it better.

I'm running the M1 Extended Capacity 113 on my 08 5.3L. I run Wix filters on about everything else I own. There are not too many options out there that cross reference to the new PF-48 that the Gen IV V8's use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back