Best Filter For 10k OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been a synth user to any extent,but i am giving serious thought to doing a 1yr or 10k oc in my GMQ to see how it works for me.I need a filter to go the distance.I normally use the MC FL820S or the P1 equivalent(can't quote the number off top of my head).I will be using Amsoil,most likely the XL series 5-20,should i use the Amsoil EAO filter or would the MC or P1 do the job just as well? I'm thinking they would!Opinions please.

Last edited:
Anything but an e-core should do the job. (
shocked.gif
Did I say that?!)

The new XL oils have not proven themselves capable of a 10k OCI yet. Spend a few more dollars and get some ASM, a proven 10k performer.

For filters I would use either the Amsoil filter, an M1 filter or a Fram Extended Guard, all of which are proven 10k capable.

For 10K miles, any good filter will be fine. MC or P1 are fine.

The new XL will have zero problems with 10K, because the old XL didn't have any issues, and the new XL has an even better additive pack.

Yes,i agree.The OE was my first choice Pablo,but the XL is just a bit better and i would feel better with it.I only do 10-12k on this vehicle,Thanks for the replies folks!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
For 10K miles, any good filter will be fine. MC or P1 are fine.

The new XL will have zero problems with 10K, because the old XL didn't have any issues, and the new XL has an even better additive pack.

Totally agree, I would not and will not hesitate to go 10k on the new XL, and my Altima is MY baby!! I like Denso filters, but any of the above mentioned will go 10K! Happy driving!

P1 in an extra long if you can find out what the number for it is, and also if longer filter clears everything, and does not get too close to hot items like exhaust.

I'm going to try 6-month, 10K OCIs in my '95 Grand Marquis using Mobil 1 HM 5W-30 and either a Motorcraft FL820s or a PureOne PL24651. I've used them both up to around 6250 miles on Motorcraft 5W-20 and on MaxLife 5W-30 and they appeared to be in great shape when I took them off. The engine seems to run smoother and use less oil on the MaxLife 5W-30, so I'll try the Mobil 1 HM and I think 10K is quite doable. The Fram Extended Guard XG2 is also a great option, but costs around $9 around here.

I've been doing 10K OCIs for 32 years now, and most any filter will work fine for 10K if you start off with a clean engine. Now if your engine is sludged up, that's another story.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I've been doing 10K OCIs for 32 years now, and most any filter will work fine for 10K if you start off with a clean engine. Now if your engine is sludged up, that's another story.

Engine is very clean,no problems with sludge or varnish.

Quote:
Now if your engine is sludged up, that's another story.

At least in my experience, the 4.6 Modulars are not prone to sludge with any type of reasonable oil change regimen.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d

None. My engines have never failed, as in burning oil, unusual engine noise, loss of power, etc. Several have seen 200-300 K and still going strong. Have one in the family now with 350K, all on M1 with 10-12K OCIs. Sorry to bore some, but that's experience.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d

Negative here also,,not with a proven synthetic like M1..

OT...i wouldn't do a long drain like that with anything less then a Fleetguard StrataPore,RP,EAO,UPF, full synthetic filter..

Sorry to jump in...but I am looking for 7 to 8K OCI.

Can't seem to find anyone with Extended Fram...Wally didn't have it, AA didn't, AZ didn't...

So can I simply use the pureone listed AA Pureone here at AA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back