Best filter choices for GM 4.8/5.3 in dusty conditions

My work truck doesn't like Fram Ultras as I found out (lifter tick and cold start piston slap for several weeks as soon as I installed the Ultra and gone for the past couple months since I switched it with a Fram Extra guard)

The truck always got bulk conventional 5w30 and cheap filters every 3-4k miles while it was owned by my employer. No noise on those. I want to run a better filter because it spends a good portion of the work day in construction sites with dust blowing all over it, often idling with the AC on.

I don't need to hear "the best oil filter is good air filter" I plan to buy a better air filter at some point, i just replaced it recently because the rubber tore and I was afraid of dirt getting past, so I got what was available quickly. I still want to run a high efficiency oil filter if I find one that won't cause engine noise.

I found several others on here that had experienced issues with the Fram ultra on ls engines like mine, so I'm not the only one. My 76 350 Oldsmobile runs fine on them and I swapped the noise causing filter from my truck onto the Oldsmobile and it's on there with no issues (so not a defective filter).

I'm going to try a m1 EP filter next because I got one on sale but if it doesn't pan out I'll be trying to figure out my next choice.

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Mike
One thing to mention is oil pressure looked the same as normal with the Fram ultra, it just got noisy.

Strange that the Ultra is supposedly causing the ticking since it flows very well (meaning low delta-p) per Motorking inputs, probably better than most oil filters on the market. The Fram Extra Guard efficiency is still pretty good. Hard to believe an EG has less delta-p than an Ultra. To add, the only way the engine would get less oil flow is if the oil pump was in pressure relief, which I highly doubt is happening at low RPM with hot oil.

Strange that the Ultra is supposedly causing the ticking since it flows very well (meaning low delta-p) per Motorking inputs, probably better than most oil filters on the market. The Fram Extra Guard efficiency is still pretty good. Hard to believe an EG has less delta-p than an Ultra. To add, the only way the engine would get less oil flow is if the oil pump was in pressure relief, which I highly doubt is happening at low RPM with hot oil.
I don't really understand why it's happening, first I thought it was the different oil, but then I found several others on here claiming the same thing with the Fram ultra on this specific engine, so I switched it and not the oil... problem solved. Next oil change I left the extra guard and only changed the oil...still silent.

Oil pressure is 33 at hot idle, 50-60+ while driving. Didn't notice a change with the filter change, and like I said that filter is on my Olds v8 now with no issues.

First and foremost, GM 4.8 and 5.3 engines are going to develop lifter tick. I don’t see how one FRAM oil filter is going to perform any differently from another unless, one is defective. Either way, try a WIX/NAPA Gold on your next oil change. In dusty conditions, your air filter is super important. Check the owners manual for severe service intervals and change them accordingly. For the air filter, OE or WIX/NAPA Gold.

When I had my 1985 Olds 88 with the 305 Olds gas engine, it was noticeably noisy with anything other than an ACDelco air filter. I though the Wix did not have as much media to it, as it was one of the noisy ones.

Assuming your filter is a Fram 3506,

Rock Auto has the Champion COS3506 for $1.19, but watch the shipping.

These are NOT Champ Labs filters, but Champion Auto Parts filters.

I bougth a bunch of the COS3600's...

Last edited:
I have 2 trucks with the 5.3.
Have ran mobil 1, fram ultra, wix, wix xp, a/c delco classic, a/ c delco e core, hastings, Bosch, Purolator pure one, purolator classic, supertech. No problems with any lifter noise. One has piston slap, no oil or oil filter will correct it.

The new Fram Extra Guards with the silicone ADBV are good filters for a factory OCI.

Also the AC Delco is a good filter - I use the longer PF61 vs PF46.

Last edited:
The 99-06 GM 4.8 & 5.3 engines use the Fram 3506 or the longer 3675. The 07 classic, & 08 & newer 4.8 & 5.3 use the Fram 10060. Try the Tough Guard TG3675 for a 99-06, or the TG10060 if you have a 07+. For the Wix air filter use the heavy duty 42488 version. The standard one is the 42487.

I've run NAPA Gold air and both NAPA Gold and AC Delco oil filters on my 5.3. No problems with any of them.

It’s not the filter causing you grief. I run the ultra guard and runs quiet. I ran ac delco, wix, and fram. No issues with any of them.
Dump some sea foam in the oil and give it a hard run. Change the oil.

Back