Best filter choices for GM 4.8/5.3 in dusty conditions

"I plan to buy a better air filter at some point"

Fram makes a Heavy Duty filter CA8755A is Heavy Duty Service

I currently have it in my Suburban...not sure if its any better than anything else... but seems to be thicker

It’s not the filter causing you grief. I run the ultra guard and runs quiet. I ran ac delco, wix, and fram. No issues with any of them.
Dump some sea foam in the oil and give it a hard run. Change the oil.
If everyone insists it wasn't the filter I'll try it again eventually. I have a m1ep for it for the next OCI. It's been perfectly silent since I swapped filters a couple months ago. And like I said several others here stated that some of these engines don't like the Ultra.

One thing that might cause you issues is the o ring on the oil pickup tube is leaking. It will lower the output of the oil pump. I just changed mine out when I did the oil pan gasket.

I have the same motor-run mostly Ultra and ACDelco. These motors are/can be noisy. Good luck chasing an issue which doesn't affect long-term longevity.
You don't say what year the truck is-but those motors require Dexos-which no conventional oil (to the best of my knowledge) carries that approval. So there is that elephant in the room as well.

The Ultra-as stated is a fine filter with low flow resistance.

One thing that might cause you issues is the o ring on the oil pickup tube is leaking. It will lower the output of the oil pump. I just changed mine out when I did the oil pan gasket.
I'm worried about those potential issue, but I haven't noticed any lower oil pressure on a cold start yet.

I have the same motor-run mostly Ultra and ACDelco. These motors are/can be noisy. Good luck chasing an issue which doesn't affect long-term longevity.
You don't say what year the truck is-but those motors require Dexos-which no conventional oil (to the best of my knowledge) carries that approval. So there is that elephant in the room as well.

The Ultra-as stated is a fine filter with low flow resistance.
It's an 05, doesn't require dexos, but I'm running full synthetic in it now. Currently m1 EP HM 5w30, previous fill was Qs HM FS. It's one of the quietest of these engines I've ever heard. No noise when warm, barely noticeable piston slap on colder starts below 0.

This is what caused my 4.8 tick.

This is what caused my 4.8 tick.
If that's the problem in my case, switching the oil filter temporarily eliminated the tick. If I have to do it eventually, I have to do it, but it will be an expensive repair because it's 4wd.

If that's the problem in my case, switching the oil filter temporarily eliminated the tick. If I have to do it eventually, I have to do it, but it will be an expensive repair because it's 4wd.
Yeah, mine is RWD so it wasn't too bad.
Yeah mine is RWD, so it wasent too bad. I've also used all types of filters and oils, and none of them caused a tick. But I can see how it can be tricky diagnosing the problem.

I had to drop the front diff. It’s not a horrible job. Takes time though.

Attachments

• 47E1B2D9-A698-429E-A197-484C28A290E4.jpeg
    47E1B2D9-A698-429E-A197-484C28A290E4.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 57994298-2BCC-429D-B65F-213938FCFE14.jpeg
    57994298-2BCC-429D-B65F-213938FCFE14.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 64
  • A8BBB0DB-C771-4FE6-89D0-37506D1E44B0.jpeg
    A8BBB0DB-C771-4FE6-89D0-37506D1E44B0.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 61
My issue is this truck doesn't get a day off other than weekends. I also don't want to that amount of work only because I had a tick for a couple weeks while running only one specific oil filter, and still have like new oil pressure.

I could see it possibly being the cause but no guarantees especially with such specific symptoms.

I am aware of the possibility of this problem especially when I'm keeping it past 300k miles likely, so I will monitor for symptoms like loss of oil pressure at cold starts. For now I just want to run the best filter I can which doesn't bring back a tick.

The Fram Tough Guard is advertised for this kind of service, can’t hurt to try it.
Earlier I said I was currently running the extra guard. I was incorrect. It is the tough guard. The one down from the ultra. I have no issues since I installed it, I was just looking to see if there was one at the same quality/efficiency level as the ultra that my truck would be happy with.

I could just stick with the tough guard since it seems happy with it.

Edit: looking at their website it appears to be still a pretty good filter. If the m1ep filter doesn't work out, I'll probably just go back to it. The only downside is Canadian Tire only seems to put the ultra or m1 filters on sale regularly, so I always buy them at around the same price as the next cheaper filter.

Last edited:
Earlier I said I was currently running the extra guard. I was incorrect. It is the tough guard. The one down from the ultra. I have no issues since I installed it, I was just looking to see if there was one at the same quality/efficiency level as the ultra that my truck would be happy with.

The fly in the ointment is that the Ultra should flow better than the EG or TG, so someone claiming the Ultra makes their engine 'tick' because it's "too restrictive" (which doesn't really happen with PD oil pumps except in rare circumstances) doesn't seem to fit.

The fly in the ointment is that the Ultra should flow better than the EG or TG, so someone claiming the Ultra makes their engine 'tick' because it's "too restrictive" (which doesn't really happen with PD oil pumps except in rare circumstances) doesn't seem to fit.
Except I'm one of 2 others that had the same experience just on this site. Otherwise I would have tried different oil before trying a different filter. It might not fit but I'm also not crazy or imagining a solid tick.

Except I'm one of 2 others that had the same experience just on this site. Otherwise I would have tried different oil before trying a different filter. It might not fit but I'm also not crazy or imagining a solid tick.

Lots of people use the Ultra on that engine, so if it ticks for some other reason then coincidentally goes away later or with a filter change then who knows. Maybe it makes that engine tick if there's less delta-p across the filter instead of more - ??

If you're that insistent that I'm wrong then I will give the ultra another shot. This time I'll record the engine idling before I switch it out and right after, for comparison.

If you're that insistent that I'm wrong then I will give the ultra another shot. This time I'll record the engine idling before I switch it out and right after, for comparison.

Not saying your wrong, saying if it is the Ultra causing it then it must be something else about it besides how it flows - and could be your engine is super sensitive about something since others use the Ultra and don't have any issues. It's not a very flow restrictive oil filter, and besides, a PD oil pump doesn't care about a few more PSI of delta-p across an oil filter as the pump will still supply the same volume per RPM unless the oil pump is very worn/weak or it's in pressure relief mode.

Back