Best engine oil for G20 work van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About any 5w30 SM oil will do the job , a UOA will tell if intervals can be extended.
Wix , Purolator or Bosch filters.

My father worked HVAC for Trane for 35 years and had Chevy vans the whole time. They got whatever bulk 5W-30 the shop on the corner had in their tanks that day, and each van was "retired" (given to the low guy on the totem pole) with over 200k miles. This was from 1970 - 2006. There was one Ford in there, but he doesn't like to talk about it.

In reality, any conventional oil you buy now with the SN spec will be partially synthetic to meet the spec. You really can't go wrong with the cheapest one that meets API SN and a decent filter for 5k miles. At first glance, your usage of the van may seem severe but it's really not that bad. 5k miles may even be a bit short, but you'd need a used oil analysis to determine that.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
My father worked HVAC for Trane for 35 years and had Chevy vans the whole time. They got whatever bulk 5W-30 the shop on the corner had in their tanks that day, and each van was "retired" (given to the low guy on the totem pole) with over 200k miles. This was from 1970 - 2006. There was one Ford in there, but he doesn't like to talk about it.

In reality, any conventional oil you buy now with the SN spec will be partially synthetic to meet the spec. You really can't go wrong with the cheapest one that meets API SN and a decent filter for 5k miles. At first glance, your usage of the van may seem severe but it's really not that bad. 5k miles may even be a bit short, but you'd need a used oil analysis to determine that.

32.gif
threeputtpar, I was an HVAC pipefitter/welder for 25 years. Trane equipment was my favorite product to use, of all the HVAC equipment used in my field.
I know WI. is the home of Trane; did your father work in the factory itself?
I did one job where we installed (3) 1500 Ton Trane Centrifugal chillers. We got (2) of them in the CEP room when suddenly a bad thunderstorm appeard. The 3rd chiller, which was still outside, was struck by lightning, and it fried it really well!
I don't know what a chiller that size costs' today (DNewton3 should know) but I would not want to foot that bill!
shocked2.gif

No, he didn't work in the factory. Heck, I didn't even know the factory was in WI. He did installation and maintenance in the area from Appleton up through Green Bay and into most of MI's UP. He regularly went to Houghton, MI to service the units at the hospital and Michigan Tech.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
No, he didn't work in the factory. Heck, I didn't even know the factory was in WI. He did installation and maintenance in the area from Appleton up through Green Bay and into most of MI's UP. He regularly went to Houghton, MI to service the units at the hospital and Michigan Tech.

They are located in La Crosse, WI. Is that far from you, or your father?
BTW, those Trane techs know their stuff!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

They are located in La Crosse, WI. Is that far from you, or your father?
BTW, those Trane techs know their stuff!
thumbsup2.gif

That would explain why they sent him to LaCrosse every year for training! It's about a 2.5 hour drive straight west accross the state. LaCrosse is right on the Mississippi River.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: 229
dexos1 certified oil.

Not only not needed why would anyone give GM anymore money?

A better oil is always good. How much money do you think GMC makes on oil quality verification? I wish all manufacturers validated oils. Castrol and Valvoline would not like that though. Keep going the way you are. That's fine, they are YOUR engines.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back