Best engine oil for G20 work van.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all.

First time looking into this via this site and as per the sticky, am providing the following info.

1. What kind of vehicle you have:

1995 Chevrolet G20/2500 Express Van - (G21305) GVWR 6600

Motor: (L05) 5.7L (350) EFI V8 with 78,000 org miles.

Basically is my HVAC work van that came with the shelf options, is pretty loaded with tools and parts although is neatly so, not packed to the hilt. Occasionally I do have to put in some equipment like condensers and furnaces, but not often.

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.):

From owners manual, for if possible below zero degrees, 5W30
From GM Service manual: GM Goodwrench motor oil or equivalent for API Service SG or SG/CE

3. Where you live:
South West Connecticut.

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?): would say normal, try to take it as easy on it as I can but traffic sometimes dictates hard pull outs, and sudden stops.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?): would say 75% of my driving is around town. Many many stops an starts as my town is one you can practically see two more stop lights from just about anyone. But will say too other is highway. But last to mention, rarely if ever go on really long highway trips.

6. Whether your car has any known problems:
None oil related and should also mention even with this high of mileage, there are no leaks worth mentioning, nor smoke produced an oil consumption rate is rather low.

For the rest, for sure want to stick with regular oil (no synthetic) and something store bought if possible as would like to do it this weekend.

As far as oil changes, would say it's not like every 3,500-5,000 miles as I just don't have the time. But over all, oil has stayed clean and engine has never been abused (ie driven low on coolant or oil an stuff like that).

So hopefully that is all the info that would be required for peoples best recommendations.

Thanks for any help.

For your application and severe usage with a lot of idling in the upcoming summer heat, I'd suggest a robust 10W-40 dino oil like Pennzoil's PYB in the yellow bottle. 5 quarts for about $15.00 at Walmart.

Change the oil and filter every 3 months or 5,000 miles - whichever comes first.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
For your application and severe usage with a lot of idling in the upcoming summer heat, I'd suggest a robust 10W-40 dino oil like Pennzoil's PYB in the yellow bottle. 5 quarts for about $15.00 at Walmart.

Change the oil and filter every 3 months or 5,000 miles - whichever comes first.

A 40wt oil is certainly not required or advisable for this application.

Really just about anything is in play. I have seen fleets around here use whatever is available from their distributor from 5w20 to 15W40. But without further testing and based purely on speculation I recommend using 5w30 like cat suggested.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Any API 5W-30 motor bought on sale, preferably a name brand, is all you need.
If you can catch a deal on some synthetic oil, so much the better.
Forgive my ignorance, but once you go synthetic, isn't it true you can't go back?

As well, can't add anyting other then synthetic?

In other words, I'm stuck high and dry and need a few quarts and nothing to be had but regular oil all means I'm in bad shape?

Kinda herd to that going synthetic means I have to be more careful with what I might mix it with as far as other synthetics?

All in all as I mentioned in the OP, really don't want to mess with the hassles of this, especially for a work truck and with this many miles on it.

Need very easy and very reliable as I need to depend on this truck in many difficult situations.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
rotella t-5 10w 30
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Rotella 10W30 .It's what i use in my work van and does not have A roller cam..Same as yours.
Was just noticing you guys are pretty down south from me.

Was looking at the manual and it talks about being ok to use 10W30 so long as you arn't getting down into the zero's.

So for you guys guess this would be OK, but for me here, for sure can get that low.

Was just saying this as at least for my looking, can't seem to find the Rotella T-5 in 5W-30, only 10W-30.

Am I wrong on this?

Also, if its a blend, does this mean I could mix it with regular oil if I had to?

Thanks

You can switch back and forth from dino to syn. If it gets that cold then a 5w 30 would be better. Pennzoil yellow bottle is good. I saw a really good uoa on napa synthetic here too.

Last edited:
Kinda new around here but guessing Dyno is short for dinosaur, meaning regular oil as its a fossil based product?

Also, when you say switch, can I still consider they can't (or at least is not recommend) to be mixed?

If so, would that be the same for blend?

Btw, to all as I haven't said it yet, thanks for all the replies

Originally Posted By: G20G80
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Any API 5W-30 motor bought on sale, preferably a name brand, is all you need.
If you can catch a deal on some synthetic oil, so much the better.
Forgive my ignorance, but once you go synthetic, isn't it true you can't go back?

As well, can't add anyting other then synthetic?

In other words, I'm stuck high and dry and need a few quarts and nothing to be had but regular oil all means I'm in bad shape?

Kinda herd to that going synthetic means I have to be more careful with what I might mix it with as far as other synthetics?

All in all as I mentioned in the OP, really don't want to mess with the hassles of this, especially for a work truck and with this many miles on it.

Need very easy and very reliable as I need to depend on this truck in many difficult situations.

Haven't heard those old oil myths in a long time.
Synthetic oil is simply higher quality oil that is totally mixable with conventional mineral oil.
As I said, if you happen to find a deal on some synthetic oil don't hesitate to load up on it. You can revert back to conventional at any time including topping up if necessary.

So stick to the 5W-30 grade, buy any name brand oil on sale, conventional or synthetic, and you'll be fine.

Oh OK, didn't know you could mix the two.

Was kinda just looking at some vids and talks about how Synt's can be better in cold and over all in lots of way.

So if mixing isn't a issue, I'm fine with going with that.

Was looking at the Pennzoil Ultra, and bad reports on that?

Thanks

I would use Valvoline Maxlife 5w30. You can find it everywhere.
Run it for as long as you have your van. All you ever need.

These engines are extremely not picky on oil.The reason I use T5 is because of it's heavy duty rating.Dual rated for gas as well and it's always cheap at walmart.Plus this is always a short tripper from nearby calls and such.

I don't have oil leaks so I don't use maxlife or any of the other HM varieties.
But I wouldn't hesitate to use just about anything.

SuperTech Synthetic 5W-30 - no need for anything more expensive than that - $17.50 for 5 qt jug at WalMart. It will give you great summer heat protection and quick cold weather starts. Change it every 10,000 miles or so and your small block will last forever. Use whatever filter you like or is on sale.

If it were mine I would use MS5K 5W30 or 10W30 with a Purolator filter every 5K miles.
thumbsup2.gif

For more choices watch these videos.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6688781/a-day-in-the-life-of-bob-is-the-oil-guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back