best engine/oil combo to reach 1M miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is fun to wonder about things like this. A million miles. Wow. Takes 33 years at that rate.

I think the annual mileage would have to be about 70,000 miles a year to reach such a goal. After 15 years time must factor against reaching a million mile goal.

Lots of limos with 400,000 plus on those Ford 4.6s. None of them are getting high end synthetic either. Perhaps in the hands of a BITOG owner, with the proper lubricant of course, it would be possible?
It would be a great excuse to do something fun on here. Like we all Paypal, pool our money and buy a low mileage 4.6 Crown Vic for OUR long term test vehicle. Put a decent insurance policy on it and drive it to death. Back and forth to each other. All over the U.S. and Canada.
It would be great. A nice long thread undoubtedly. 30-40 of us at $100 a piece and we're rolling. I don't know about you guys but I've done a lot less fun things with a hundred bucks.

Like Cash for Clunkers. Only we're using the cash to buy the clunker. Then we're driving the son of a b_tch a million miles. Because we want to. Because we can. Because we're Americans!

God bless the working stiff!!!

Originally Posted By: MrWideTires

Does anybody know what oil this guy used?

I don't know for sure but it couldn't be Pennzoil because that stuff is made of candle wax. And it can't be Mobil 1 because with the high iron numbers from Mobil 1, that engine would be toast waaaaay before 2,600,000 miles.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: robertcope
You're only shooting for one million miles? That'll put you about two million behind this guy and his Volvo:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/26/man-with-2-6-million-mile-volvo-p1800-aims-for-3-million/

Does anybody know what oil this guy used?

The owner's name is Irv Gordon. Here's a quote from Swedespeed.com:

Quote:
Phil,
I am far from an engineer regarding oil and it's additives and have read the same material as you. I continue to use diesel rated oil such as Castrol 15-40 and those that say they have the zinc additives. So far...no problems even with all the miles I drive. I have been thinking of addiing compounds such as STP which say they have the zinc in them to fortify the engine oils.... Meanwhile, I continue to use 20-50 for summer driving and the 15-40 for winter use. Wish I could be of more help. Good luck with your car.
Irv

I'd say a Ford Modular engine, or one of their 300 I-6 engines would make the trip. There is a Ford van IIRC with well over a million miles on it.

Cummins 5.9 diesel with appropriate weight Redline.

Buick 3.8L with a 40wt Redline.

Ford 4.6L with 30wt Redline.

Not anything from Chrysler.

Perhaps a 7.3 ps with Rotella. I know Cummins could do it, but I'll go with the ps.

I had a GM 4.3 and 3.1 and both of those were unstoppable. Everything attached to the engine had to be replaced, but they kept on ticking. Mobil 1 10w30.

I'm betting on my Toyota Camry 4 cylinder.

The way my wife drives, she should reach that mileage next month.

My Chevy Lumina 3.1 might make it if I could keep the intake gasket from leaking again and get the check engine light to turn off.
57.gif

Why, a Volvo whiteblock.

Redblocks were great, but they just don't cut it when it came to long drains and keeping the oil in the engine, where it should be.

Whiteblocks have proven themselves to be stronger than the redblock many times over.

In fact, I am currently packing on over 60K miles a year (not something I want to do, but I plan on keeping my car forever, so I'm not worried about it either) and I may be the next one rolling over to a million miles on here using Mobil1 0w40 and changing it every 7500 miles (as per Volvos recommendations).

Oldsmobile 307 V8 with a 10w-40 synthetic.

I have my grandpa's old Caprice wagon with the 307. Use it for pulling a boat and hauling stuff that won't fit in a Focus. 230k miles on it and it doesn't burn any noticeable oil between changes, and its as clean as a whistle inside.

Fantastic motor.

Oh and it gets 20mpg's city/highway which isn't too bad for a tank.

Last edited:
Out of all the known record holding super-high mileage vehicles....are they all on a diet of synth or dino???

Say you are going to drive ONE car around 30k miles a year until it reaches over 1 million miles, in Florida.

What engine do you think is the most likely to make it to over 1 million miles (with just maintenance and oil), and with what oil??

My pick?
One of these two: Nissan's legendary SR20DE, or Subaru's EJ25 non-turbo... either with Mobil1 0w40 or GC 0W30 at 8,000 mile intervals with PureONE filters.

What's your pick?

are you sure the frame would last 35 years?

Originally Posted By: ZR2grizz
Originally Posted By: dsmith41
Originally Posted By: ZR2grizz
GM 4.3L Vortec, change the oil maybe every 50,000mi. or so, and your easily looking at 1.5-2million no problem.

I hope you meant 5,000 miles cuz 50,000 or so ain't gonna cut it for a million miles, let alone two.

I meant 50,000, but I was kiddin', I currently have the 4.3l and I'm hoping to squeeze out 200,000mi. (with regular maintance and minor repairs)

Have you done the intake gaskets yet? If not you WILL be doing them at some point. Just make sure you use the new redesigned gaskets so you dont have to do them again some time down the road. Also you should do the newly designed spider injector upgrade. Then you should be all set for long engine life. The original spider used poppet valves which just plain suck.

I can't seem to stay interested in one car for longer than a couple of years. :)

I suspect the choice of the engine is going to be a lot more crucial than the choice of oil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Out of all the known record holding super-high mileage vehicles....are they all on a diet of synth or dino???

It seems like most of the record holders are on dino.

I spent a couple hours last night after reading your post, looking over various brands in both their synthetic and conventional counterparts and many times the synthetic had a lower HTHS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back