Best Eco Wagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If and when I get a new vehicle, I will need another wagon. The 1996 Volvo 855 is still going strong, but I have the cash, just need a contingency plan. Tpitcher's and the compact car thread just have me thinking. Just in case.

What's out there - size of or slightly smaller with better MPG than the Volvo?

i believe a new focus wagon is coming but don't take my word on that. otherwise, like they said, the new subies get good mpg for being awd.

unfortunately there aren't a lot of low priced wagons out there anymore
frown.gif

Budget?

Wagon or could it be a hatchback? (since most of the smaller ones are between hatchback and wagon)

Simple vehicle or does not matter? Mission (use and how many people)

Bill

PS: Going through the same thoughts. I need to think about something before this DI and Turbo stuff becomes the "norm" and the Corolla ends up with 400,000 miles. (more than 1/2 way there)

Elantra Touring (wagon) is not the winner for this. It's severely underpowered and as a result you will be thrashing the poor motor and eating into your MPG.

Prius V.

Although the entry price is dangerously close to TSX wagon and A3 territory.

Plus it's going to drive like a Prius.

The most affordable offering will probably be the Base Kia Soul. $13,900. Fuel economy is not nearly as good as the TDi or Prius V but it does cost a little more than 1/2 as much. That will buy a lot of gas.

You could probably get into a nice low mileage HHR LS around that price. You get an Ecotec 2.2 (and who doesn't like an Ecotec 2.2?
smile.gif
)and plenty of cargo area but many have complained about the pinched footwells (didn't bother me) and reduced fuel economy.

My PT Cruiser and Mazda6S 5-door provide as much utility as many crossover SUVs. The hatchback Mazda will run away from all crossover SUVs on a twisty road and the PT will flat out-gun most V6 crossovers to a safe and reasonable freeway speed on a short entrance ramp. Unfortunately, the Mazda6 is no longer made in hatchback or station wagon varieties and the PT Cruiser did not get the GEMA engine and an update and is no longer made.

But if you can find one of the 11 or so people that actually bought a Mazda6S wagon and convince them to sell...
mazda-wagon-picture-3463.jpg

crackmeup2.gif

Nahh...nevermind. The 328i Sportswagen starts at $37,000. That's what I want.
lol.gif

Ford Transit Connect Wagon - if you lean more towards hauling various sized stuff than some of the above vehicle suggestions.

I saw a guy fit a motorcycle in one and actually closed the rear doors (The front wheel was wedged in between the drivers and front passenger seat).

If you're looking new, there are very few options out there; Elantra Touring and the Jetta Wagon are about it. Of the "wagon-like SUV's", the Outback is probably the best bet if the ridiculous roof rack isn't a deal breaker (for me, it is). Good fuel economy with either the CVT or the tall 6 speed MT. I just wish they still imported the Legacy wagon. Of the "big hatchbacks", the new Impreza and Mazda both look really good as well.

If you're willing to look a few years old, I'd add the Focus wagon and V50 to this list. In reality the Focus wagon is probably the only thing that really fits what you're looking for, and I think an' 05-'07 with the 2.0 Duratec would be perfect. Unfortunately, lots of other folks have the same idea...

Two other honorable mentionions that are wagon-like would be the Mazda 5 (before it turned into a small minivan) and Ford's Transit Connect. Nothing beats the TC for the space/fuel economy ratio, and I'm seriously considering it as a potential replacement to the Freestyle.

Lastly, I wouldn't discount a P2, '04-'06. It has a bit more space than yours, similar fuel economy and it has familiarity going for it. The first P2's had some well-documented transmission issues, which were mostly resolved by '04-and if you look hard enough, you can even find one in an MT.

If you trust the reliability of the TDI, this would be any easy call. Personally, I don't.

I was going to mention the PriusV also, but a bit too much $$.

Diesel is currently $.50/gallon more in New England. Not sure if there is a similar price differential in the PNW. That, with cost of the diesel engine and JOD's final comment makes it far from an economical choice.

Last edited:
The picture of that Mazda6 wagon just makes me mad...

I didn't even mention it, since none of the 11 owners plan on selling. To me, that's the classic example of corporate nonsense: "we didn't sell any", well, they were wait-listed at every dealer, you didn't import any--no wonder it didn't sell!

The Prius "don't call it a wagon" Wagon is really my favorite option of all, if you can get past the purchase price (and you drive enough to offset the cost). I totally forgot about that one.

I was all hot on the TSX wagon until I looked at one. The position of the rear struts if absolutely horrible for a wagon. The useable/practical space is really cut down because of this, and coming from an 855, I can guarantee it'll be an annoyance for anyone who wants wagon-type space.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Elantra Touring (wagon) is not the winner for this. It's severely underpowered and as a result you will be thrashing the poor motor and eating into your MPG.

It's within 10 hp of the Impreza 5-door.

I'm partial to the Mazda3 wagon. Mazda5 wagon (slide doors, 3rows of 2 seats) are cool if more space needed. I like Mazda's fun-to-drive factor.
Honda Fit is pretty darn awesome too, slightly smaller but amazingly huge inside for how small a vehicle it is. Fun to drive too.

I'd say a Mazda 3, if that's not big enough then an Elantra Touring, and if that's not big enough there are million different CRV/Rav4/Escape size "suv's" that ride like a car, get carlike mileage... are really wagons raised up about 2 inches giving them a little better snow performance and a little worse handling.

It's a shame there aren't more wagons, but really what would be the difference between a Camry wagon and my Highlander?

The difference between diesel and reg unleaded here is over 90 cents. In some stations 98 cents.

Even without the "issues" of a diesel engine you'd have to get QUITE a bit MORE MPG just to cover the cost of fuel. With the problems with the new regs I'm out of the diesel market. (and I've said here and planned for my next vehicle to be one)

Problem for me is the Mazda 5's low profile tires. I can not and will not buy anything with less than a 65 series tire. Not much room for any other tire choice with that rig. If it had the ability for better tires there may have been a GOOD chance to have one in my garage over what we bought in May. But it did not. Also only 157hp out of a 2.5l? Others do 170hp with ease or more.
21.gif

Good driver though!

Bill

PS: Let us have one of these with a Turbo diesel, 6 sp manual without the EPA garbage and I'll take two. Or something like this. A REAL wagon not a matrix.
mad.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I can not and will not buy anything with less than a 65 series tire.

You know that number alone doesn't determine sidewall height, right? A wide 45-series tire could easily have a taller sidewall than a narrow 65-series tire.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
there are million different CRV/Rav4/Escape size "suv's" that ride like a car, get carlike mileage... are really wagons raised up about 2 inches giving them a little better snow performance and a little worse handling.

In the snow, the only benefit of ground clearance is being able to clear higher piles of snow. High ground clearance has no benefit to standing-start traction, and it makes cornering and braking worse (all else equal, of course) because it means a high center of gravity.

There are people who really, honestly do need to clear big piles of snow to get to work in the morning. For those folks, a vehicle with more ground clearance certainly would help. I strongly doubt a majority of the car buying population faces that challenge.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I can not and will not buy anything with less than a 65 series tire.

You know that number alone doesn't determine sidewall height, right? A wide 45-series tire could easily have a taller sidewall than a narrow 65-series tire.

Not most of the tire/rim setups that I'd own. Look at a 55 series tire on the Mazda 5 verses a 65 on vehicles that I was looking at determined another reason why I don't have a Mazda in the garage.

But yes I guess there are some that have more sidewall. I have not seen any.
21.gif

Take care, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back