best dino oil for lowest wear and mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
I last filled with PYB10w30 and have recorded 3 record tanks in a row, 43.4, 43.6 and 43.4 mpg. Previous best single tank was a year ago at 41.25 mpg with Valvoline 5w20. Have not done a UOA so no knowledge on wear, but everything seems fine.

You are going to get all kinds of replies. I have been running Castrol HM in all my vehicles for a few years. I grew up on plain old Valvoline, that's all my dad and grandpa ever used. As a kid my dad always said to stay away from Quaker State, but reading here they changed and it is not so bad, but i am still hesitant to put it in my vehicles. My dad still uses the white bottle.

Best conventional with lowest wear would likely be Valvoline. From UOA reports around here, Valvoline produces some of the lowest wear numbers. The oil isn't the best for any kind of extended drain, but for regular changes, say between 3-5k miles (depending on driving conditions, time, etc) its probably the best for it. I've also seen quite a few cars pass 200k and 300k using only VWB, so it's good as far as engine longevity is concerned too.

I am guessing that going with oil as thick as you can find should help you obtain the lowest mpg numbers. Try Valvoline Conventional 20W50.

Originally Posted By: Topo

I would recommend Mobil Super for all around great dino, with a great price point.

+1 mobil super without a doubt! and super economical at your local walmart. $13.50 for 5 quarts!

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I like PYB...

+1

It's the best selling dino for multiple reasons.

If you asked for my runner-up, that would be Motorcraft.

I personally like ConocoPhillips oils. They always go on sale around here (YMMV) at close to $2.00 per quart, and oil analysis on my supercharged Bonneville using 7-8k intervals have always come back outstanding using the Philips Trop-Artic variant.

They also have the Kendall w/ Liquid Titanium that's decently priced at around 4.00 per quart at Autozone, and it sells for $2.79 per quart at Rural King, and regional farm store in this area.

I don't think you can go wrong with it for the price.. With today's oils, I choose mostly based on price and whatever bottle design happens to stand out (true!).

The newest specs put almost any dino oil into a top-tier category. That wasn't always true when any Tom, **** or Harry could blend an SF or SJ rated oil and sell it. Now store brands buy from Warren and other larger refiners because the newest specs are so stringent. IMO you will get a good dino oil no matter what you buy.

Originally Posted By: mac5150
what is an excellent dino for fuel mileage and wear. just curious as to what is the top pick.

Since your in the South West, why don't you try a 10w30
HDEO for wear protection ?

Originally Posted By: mac5150
98 saturn sl2 and a pontiac vibe. this was mostly out of curiosity over specifics.

Any name brand dino on sale.

Having said that, the Saturn is known to run cleaner with less oil burning latter in life when run on a steady diet of synthetic oil. I would run a 5W-30 synthetic bought sale. Any brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back