Best dino oil available

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your opinions about the best dino oil widely (not stuff like Kendall and such) available?? Valvoline, Mobil, QS, Exxon, Super-Tech, Pennzoil,etc.??
Which one would you buy?

[ December 01, 2002, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

This topic comes up a lot actually, but general consensus is that for the commonly available dino oils, Castrol GTX and Pennzoil both work very well.

Thanks for the tip guys !!!!!
Why are these two brands liked better than other dino oils??

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
This topic comes up a lot actually, but general consensus is that for the commonly available dino oils, Castrol GTX and Pennzoil both work very well.

Gotta disagree on only those two oils as being the best,just because they have Mo does not mean they are the best OTC SL oils available.Maybe they sell more than other oils but there are some that are their equals in going the distance and protecting for that distance easily IMO
smile.gif

Time for a poll?
grin.gif

It's not just because they have moly that I recommend them though, but also because we've seen good oil analysis results on them. And Pennzoil's group 2+ base oil is probably the best base oils of the lower cost oils. So it could handle slightly extended intervals well.

quote:

It's not just because they have moly that I recommend them though, but also because we've seen good oil analysis results on them. And Pennzoil's group 2+ base oil is probably the best base oils of the lower cost oils. So it could handle slightly extended intervals well.

What about Conoco's Hydroclear motor oil? Their Group II and Group II+ base oil comes from the Lake Charles refinery, which is their joint venture with Pennzoil (Excel Paralubes). I've used Hydroclear in the past and found it to be an excellent oil with an extremely good detergent package.

[ December 01, 2002, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: XHVI ]

quote:

Well I have seen some good analysis using Chevron SL that has well over 3k miles.I also saw my motor kill Pennzoil early,,group II does not make or break a oil,it's the additive package and the motor it"s used in and I IMO think some Drive Clean and Phillips Turbo along with some others warrant a look at.
Motorcraft and Conoco Hydroclear,Mobil Drive Clean for just a few
smile.gif

Thinking back,a poll would be uselss,only personal favorites would be selected
wink.gif

I'd first like to say that I'm new to the forum and I've got to say that I like what I've seen so far very much everyone here seems very helpful.

On to the question. I know that Pennzoil and Quakerstate are both owned by the Shell corporation, which brings me to my question are the regular Pennzoil, Shell, and Quakerstate oils essentially the same or are the detergents significantly differant?

Hmm well what would be the best oil to use with auto rx or an engine cleaner of that sort? Also is the idea of switching from synthetic to mineral oil then back to synthetic oil being a bad thing just a myth?

"are the regular Pennzoil, Shell, and Quakerstate oils essentially the same or are the detergents significantly differant?"

Shell, Pennzoil, QS, Wolf's Head and SuperTech are all different, although (according to Johnny) there's a chance that SuperTech and Shell will be the same or very similar if the Shreveport blending plant is closed and production is shifted to Shell.

quote:

Originally posted by 94 formula:
Hmm well what would be the best oil to use with auto rx or an engine cleaner of that sort? Also is the idea of switching from synthetic to mineral oil then back to synthetic oil being a bad thing just a myth?

It's a myth, you can switch back and forth every second interval and it wouldn't hurt the engine. I wouldn't recommend doing that a lot though, each time you switch brands of oil, the next oil will oxidize just a bit faster because of the different additives mixed in there. Which is why if you do extended intervals, always wait until the 2nd interval with the same oil before doing it.

ok, how about this one. I'm using rotella synthetic with auto-rx in it. Can I switch to Rotella T after the treatment is done for the initial dino treatment then keep my extended drain interval with the next change since they probably have similar detergent packages?

--Matt

I'm not quite sure what your saying, let me just give an example of what I was planning on doing and see if thats ok... I was going to change my current oil which is synthetic over to dino since auto rx says it works best in dino for some reason then after the auto rx has done its job I was going to go back to a blend or synthetic like schaeffers or mobil 1.

94 Formula, that sounds about right.

I ran Valvoline Maxlife in my car when I did the 500 mile Auto-rx interval, then I ran it for another 3300 mile interval right after that. Then I switched to Schaeffer Supreme 7000 blend.

Ok so you drained the oil wiht the auto rx and ran the same TYPE of oil again for another interval. I still dont understand why you run the same dino oil the second time.

[ December 02, 2002, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: 94 formula ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
I think he did it to compare analysis before and after with same oil to have proof that RX actually worked.
I am doing it because I have to run dino after the treatment to stop any leaks...

That's exactly it! And I did see a major improvement on my before and after results, even with the second interval being a longer 3300 mile interval (the first interval was 2400)

For instance, iron came down to 5ppm from 15, lead down to 14 from 19, oxidation down to 9% from 40% and sulfur down to 0% from 27%.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by 94 formula:

It's a myth, you can switch back and forth every second interval and it wouldn't hurt the engine. I wouldn't recommend doing that a lot though, each time you switch brands of oil, the next oil will oxidize just a bit faster because of the different additives mixed in there. Which is why if you do extended intervals, always wait until the 2nd interval with the same oil before doing it.

I've seen no data that mixing oil causes increased oxidation levels.

In my opinion, that's a myth started by oil salesman to discourage changing oil brands.

Well, we'll find out soon enough, as I'll have my first analysis on Schaeffer oil in a few weeks and the last oil before this was Maxlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back