Best Dino in 5w30 For Cold Weather Starting ?

all of them your Favorite one the cheapest one pick one of the above, and lose no sleep over the choice. you can't go wrong if 0F is your target cut off

Trop Artic. Super cheap, syn blend, and is very similar to motorcraft. i can regularly get it at a farm store for $1.79 a few times a year on specials.

Checking back at the PQIA tests of the conventionals, they're all pretty darned close, with Petro-Canada's being a standout. At 0 F, though, you're splitting hairs and I'd use any reputable 5w-30 without concern.

you can either fall into 2 camps you don't trust the manual that "it'll be fine", and so you need something better at cold starts and a 0w-30 synthetic. you trust the manual and so any 5w-30 with the starburst and service rating, by definition, are going to be similar out of the bottle. It's almost as if the oils were formulated and tested to meet a "spec" or something. "Best" doesn't mean anything fresh out of the bottle; the differences are going to be more to do with what happens 5000miles down the road.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Checking back at the PQIA tests of the conventionals, they're all pretty darned close, with Petro-Canada's being a standout. At 0 F, though, you're splitting hairs and I'd use any reputable 5w-30 without concern.
This^ Petro-Canada has excellent specs but if not obtainable, any of the major brands will do just fine, as crazyoildude mentioned as well.