best dino for engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats up guy,
I was wandering if some of you oil experts could let me know which dino oil is the best choice.
I,m thinking of using mobil drive clean because I heard it has more cleanig addatives to keep your engine clean. any and all comments appreciated.
smile.gif

hvac, I am not an expert on motor oils. However, the conventional motor oils that have looked the best in UOAs done by people at this web site include Chevron Supreme, Pennzoil, Castrol (some concern with Castrol about flow at low temperatures), Exxon SuperFlo, and Mobil Drive Clean (the motor oil that you mentioned).

Now, not all motor oils have been tested by people here at this web site. I have never seen a UOA of Mystik (an oil I was considering in the past), and there have been few if any UOAs on conventional Quaker State.

In all fairness I also have to mention oils that have not looked great in UOAs. Valvoline conventional oil in all honesty has not looked great in UOAs done by people at this web site. Valvoline does sell an oil supplement that maybe will bring Valvoline up to the others, but it adds 5 bucks to the cost of an oil change.

There is a great deal of argument here over which synthetic oils are the best. Most people seem to agree that Mobil 1, Schaeffer's part synthetic, Redline, and Amsoil are good synthetic oils. The jury is still out on Royal Purple.

The oil supplements and cleaners that a lot of people here believe in include Auto-RX, Neutra (gas and oil), Lube Control, and Fuel Power (fuel). Schaeffer's #132 is also highly regarded.

I am not sure you can say that there is one superior dino oil. What might give me good wear numbers might not do very well in your vehicles. It depends on motor condition- a high mileage unit may run better on special high mileage oils say castrol or penzoil or it could do better on 10w-40 oil. Pick an oil that is easy to find and if you have good UOA reports than stick with it. You can not develop trends by swithcing back and forth between brands and weights. When you find good consistant wear numbers from the same brand then that is your best dino oil.

quote:

Originally posted by like a rock:
I am not sure you can say that there is one superior dino oil. What might give me good wear numbers might not do very well in your vehicles. It depends on motor condition- a high mileage unit may run better on special high mileage oils say castrol or penzoil or it could do better on 10w-40 oil. Pick an oil that is easy to find and if you have good UOA reports than stick with it. You can not develop trends by swithcing back and forth between brands and weights. When you find good consistant wear numbers from the same brand then that is your best dino oil.

Agree wholeheartedly...especially the last sentence

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
hvac, I am not an expert on motor oils. However, the conventional motor oils that have looked the best in UOAs done by people at this web site include Chevron Supreme, Pennzoil, Castrol (some concern with Castrol about flow at low temperatures), Exxon SuperFlo, and Mobil Drive Clean (the motor oil that you mentioned).

hey mystic,

could you give a link to a UOA of exxon superflo? can't find it anywhere

I am using Chevron Supreme or Chevron/Havoline 5w30 in my wife's new Cavalier. I don't think there's an oil out there that performs as well for the money. I think all the above mentioned dinos are good and any one should give you years of service if changed on time. Just pick one and stick with it and change evry 3 to 4 thousand miles. AC Delco, Purolator, Wix, NAPA and Motorcraft are among the better of the 3 to 5 dollar filters.

Exon Superflow and Mobile Drive Clean are the exact same oil in different bottles. Niether one is a very good oil!!! Drive Clean is what GM uses in all vechiles that do not get synthetic or XD3. Toyota brand oil sold in the quart containers in the U.S. is also Drive Clean oil. The better dino oil as tested here are as follows: Delvac 1300, Delo, Chevron Suprem, Penzoil Long Life, Schaffer's,Castrol Syntec, Rotella T "synthetic". I did not list them in any particular order! I incleded a couple group III oils that are market as synthetic.

I do remember Terry Dyson writing that Superflo has good wear for shorter intervals. But, for the money Pennzoil seems like the way to go.

Except for recent Hondas and Fords*, 10W-30 or 5W-30 per climate considerations. Period. With consistent 3,000 mile oil and filter changes, any national brand (including national store brands) will work just fine for any reasonable expectation of engine life in normal use.

*These two makes specify 5W-20 which, at the very least, are Group-II/Group-III blends.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Exon Superflow and Mobile Drive Clean are the exact same oil in different bottles. Niether one is a very good oil!!!

I'm running first batch of superflo out of the five cases I have in stock. first switch from valvoline. it can't be worse than valvoline maxlife.
lol.gif

hey guys,
sorry about that, I forgot to give you the proper amount of information.
I am wanting to know which is the best dino oil for the following.
1: 4.0 SOHC motor
2: 86,000k
I have also heard that the high milage oils have addatives that recondition seals and swell gasket.
However, if I do not have any leaks or oil consumption at this time, and use high mileage oil and at later date the engine was to have a leak then,what would be the remedy, if the gaskets were already swollen.
other than replacing gaskets .
I do not want to use the high mileage oil if it will possibly eliminate the chances of me stoping a leak at a later date.
and also thanks guys for all replies that you have given so far.

hvac, to answer your question simply, I’d say Pennzoil and Chevron Supreme. Both Group II+ base oils and very potent-looking additive packages. Also, we have excellent used oil analysis (UOA) results from each ... rivaling and even exceeding results from some synthetics. Of course, this assumes you have no interest in pursuing a specialty oil like Schaeffer.

I don’t know how many brands and engine combos people know of on this site, but there aren’t many and there are a lot of other variables including driving style, route variations, climatic variations, etc … which come into play.

Lab testing of used oil samples is the only way to know for sure when you’ve found an engine & oil combo which works really well.

As for the high-mileage oils, most have an ester component for some seal swelling. Usually, this merely counteracts some oil’s tendency to leach plasticizer out of seals making them brittle and prone to leaking. Early Mobil 1 (PAO) formulations had this problem but it was corrected a decade ago.

There’s also some debate as to how effective these high-mileage oils are at stopping leaks so at best, their effects are very mild. When it comes to leaks, the best way to fix them is seal replacement. Expensive, though, especially if they have to pull the motor. Don't expect a bottled product to produce miracles. Maybe stop a slow weeping or slow down a slightly faster drip. That's all.
dunno.gif

I’d go with the Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle out of all of these.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back