Best defense for medieval plate armored opponent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine society goes back to the stone age and knights wearing full plate armor wantonly roam the countryside, exacting dues money from the peasantry. What would be the best defense against one in a hand-to-hand combat scenario?

Personally I'd say a taser would be an assured victory if brought to bear and fired against the knight soon enough before being hit by the swinging maul or the blow of a halberd.

Rule #1
Cardio

Rule #2
Doubletap

Rule #3
I Forget. But a long light hammer did wonders during midevil times. They had hammers not much heavier than a framing hammer on poles with protective studs and langetts to protect the shaft.
A staff alone would have enough kenetic energy to shatter a knee under padding and plate. A hammer on the end with a mallet would focus the blow and if it didn't immediately crush what was under the plate, it sure oils make things uncomfortable for the person in there.

Btw an ice pick does wonders at close range.

Do you mean best offense?

Assuming a lack of modern weaponry, a really, really big hammer or club. Old plate armor would have been good for defending against pointy and sharp things, but not so good against large blunt objects which would crush it, reducing maneuverability or worse, breaking bone or making so the wearer couldn't breath... Or both.

Wouldn't the armor act as a Faraday cage? effectively making it impervious to a taser? I think an AK-47 will easily solve this dilemma, and if modern tech is not allowed then a pack of wolves will be a good bet.

Of course the best hand weapon will be a lightsaber, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. (Unless the armor is made of cortosis)

Last edited:
This one is easy.

Assuming no modern weapons or gun powder, then revert back to what worked back in medieval times, which is archery. The kings archers were the ones that really ran the battlefield and won wars. Plate armor (that is man portable, ie, lightweight) does not stand a chance against archery.

Read about one particular battle where tons of nights were cut down by arrows.
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/battle-of-crecy

bubbatime, and in that post apocolyptic world, PVC is gold.

Personally, I'd make sure that there's some bitumen/concrete and used engine oil (metal shoes are slippery), then douse in petrol an flick the Bic.

Battery acid at the visor would be quick and nasty also.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Imagine society goes back to the stone age
a taser would be an assured victory

What does a stone age taser look like?

Originally Posted By: Silk
Imagine society goes back to the stone age
a taser would be an assured victory

What does a stone age taser look like?

A rock !!!

If society went pop there would still be lots of (abandoned) infrastructure and resources..

A junkyard crane with a huge electromagnet would suit me as long as I could find veg oil to keep it running,

Imagine society goes back to the stone age and knights wearing full plate armor wantonly roam the countryside, exacting dues money from the peasantry. What would be the best defense against one in a hand-to-hand combat scenario?

Personally I'd say a taser would be an assured victory if brought to bear and fired against the knight soon enough before being hit by the swinging maul or the blow of a halberd.

The best scenario would have been to sell you in t slavery in order to avoid any further taxes

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Wouldn't the armor act as a Faraday cage? effectively making it impervious to a taser?...

This!

Here's a neat video of a man in a conductive suit working on high tension lines. If you've never seen the video, it will blow you away!

Remain a Koch brother or a Rothschild. They'd probably be sitting behind a moat somewhere, controlling the knights by proxy.

Quote:

Imagine society goes back to the stone age and knights wearing full plate armor

Then you would not be in the the stone age, but rather, the post iron age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back