Best Deal On Oil...Your Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(This is kind of a spin-off of a post I made in a Euro Castrol thread, but I thought I'd post again and see what you all thought...)

Everyone on here keeps hootin' and hollering' about German Castrol 0w-30 and how good it is.

I guess no one talks about the HDEO 15w-40's because their not the "new-fangeled" oils on the market, but if you take a look at these oils, I believe they are some of the best stuff on the market.

Yes, I realize 15w-40 is not for all engines, but for those that can use it...

Obviously, it won't flow at low temps like 0w-30 Castrol, but I can go over to Wally World and get a group II+ oil that is:

Extended drain capable
Shear stable
Great additive package
Will keep my engine "spotless"

What do you all think? Are these oils (specifically Pennz. Long-Life, Delvac, and Delo) as good as I make them out to be or am I missing something? $6/gallon vs. $4/quart...tell me what you think.

I think two of them are for sure as good as you anticipate and the other two I am not as convinced. If I were to rank order them:

Mobil Delvac
Shell Rotella T Syn
Pennzoil Longlife
Chevron Delo

I think Delvac is one of the best oils (period) you can buy and Shell Rotella T Syn is not far behind. I am not saying the last two are NOT good...I am just not familiar enough with them to be comfortable recommending them. Others may know them better and can fill you in on their capabilities.

Pscholte,

Thanks for the reply.

Were you talking about Delvac 1 or Delvac 1300?

The oils I'm talking about are the $6/gallon oils...Delo 400, Delvac 1300, Rotella-T, and Pennzoil Long-Life.

Didn't mention Rotella-T synthetic because it is no where near $6/gallon.

pat.gif
Oops, sorry...I was talking about Delvac 1. If you are talking about the dino versions, I would put Rotella T at the top of the list and leave the rest to the other posters who know them enough to give you a recommendation. I would recommend Rotella T without hesitation.

I think the fleet oils are excellent values, but for those of us who live in cold areas, they are not suitable for year round use.

To me, Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 is THE outstanding value.

My only issue with Rotella-T is it's pour point...about -15, vs. in excess of -30 for either Delo, Delvac, and Pennzoil Long-Life.

Maybe I should have put "GC" or "Euro Castrol" in the title and this thread would have got me attention
grin.gif

Where are you guys at??

[ September 15, 2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

This is NEW interesting thread Jelly! We focus so much on synlubes but I think you make a good point. I think your assumptions are correct. I was even thinking of running regular delvac dino in a Jeep. I think for your 40wts, there are some very good diesel/gas dino oils.
cheers.gif

You did the right thing, you didn't mention GC!!
grin.gif

I like the case price of Delo 400 (15W-40) at Costco. Flows fine here in PNW winter.

I would use it if I didn't love Amsoil.

I have looked for the Pennz HD 15W-40, which looks good on paper, but I can't find it.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
So I guess Amsoil ($16 gallon) and Scheafer's 15W-40's are too expensive for this vote too
dunno.gif
?

...Guess I should have named the thread "Mineral HDEO's...Best Value on the Market??"

Since I came here, and actually realized what oils were comprised of, and how they perform their various functions, the modern mineral based HDEO's, such as Delvac 1300, Delo 400, and Pennzoil Long-Life seem to me to be excellent values!

They are such a great oil, and the $6/gallon price tag, at least to me, makes them the best oil around (as long as you can run this grade/weight).

Opinions welcome.

[ September 16, 2003, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Originally posted by CJH:
For the Rotella T synthetic 5W40 to which I was referring, the pour point is -40 degrees C.
https://thegenesisnetwork.equilon.com/genesis/prodinfopdf/out/ROTELLA T SYNTHETIC.pdf

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
My only issue with Rotella-T is it's pour point...about -15, vs. in excess of -30 for either Delo, Delvac, and Pennzoil Long-Life.

The synthetic Rotella is, but the mineral based Rotella-T 15w-40's pour point is -15. The other three are all in excess of -30F.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by CJH:
For the Rotella T synthetic 5W40 to which I was referring, the pour point is -40 degrees C.
https://thegenesisnetwork.equilon.com/genesis/prodinfopdf/out/ROTELLA T SYNTHETIC.pdf

quote:

The synthetic Rotella is, but the mineral based Rotella-T 15w-40's pour point is -15. The other three are all in excess of -30F.

The 151 schaeffers is
Stable Pour Point °F/°C (FTM 7916 Method 203)

you keep forgetting that one.

To answer your question, yes, I agree with you. I think these oils are the best values going for protection & durability. (I think my local HugeBoxStore sells Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 for $4.xx/gal!!) Mobil's website used to show a 10W-30 D1300S as well, but nobody ever carried it & I noticed Mobil dropped it when they revamped their site. Since winters routinely go as low as 10°-15°F around here, I'm thinking of mixing D1300S 15W-40 with some M1 0W/5W-xx for better cold-flow, & running it for 10k miles (with UOAs) in my N/A Saab.

Hey Bob,
How come Schaeffer's doesn't list prices on their website? I found a price for the Supreme 7000 15W-40, but not for any of the other diesel-style oils. Are these set by the individual distributors, the way OTC oils are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back