Best deal cable modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I "leased" the cable company modem for about 6 months, worked fine, but at $5 month I said screw it.

Then I bought a $5 ebay P.O.S. RCA dud. Been wreslin' with a bad power connector on that dawg for 4 or so months. I've had it.

What's the ticket today? I don't want to spend over $50. Want fast and reliable.

I have an RCA as well, same power connector issue. I haven't heard any complaints about the Motorolas. I've heard complaints from the Actiontec's. I know that Comcast in my area has been handing out RCA's and Motorolas, I'd go with a Motorola if you find it at a good price. They are all pretty much the same thing and should perform the same as well, I'd probably shop by price and just avoid the ones that people have problems with such as Actiontec and RCA.

Thanks - I shopped a bit - holy cripes - the one last expensive thing about PC's - cable modems!

So......I took the RCA modem all apart (Torx T-10 and needle nose, etc) -down to the PCBA level. I was about to remove the connector and solder the wires from the power supply directly to the board or pins with the connector housing removed....then I decided to try something different - simply pried the connector up off the board and bent the header at about 45° then plugged the cord back in. Seems to have worked! I won't put the back plate on but it should go in the plastic case.

I think Motorola offers the best cable modems. I remember comcast had to give me 5 different RCA modems and they all were ****. Finally gave in and bought a motorola surfboard after reading numerous excellent reviews online, and i've never had a problem with the one i own now (1yr old), and the one my parents have at their home (4yrs old).

Ah **** - I got angry....soldered the the RCA modem this afternoon. Worked about 1/2 hour and then the PS died (no 3.4V out).

Wife at store - called her on cell phone - whammo she comes home later with Motorola. $40.

Another happy Surfboard user, specifically an S84100. Does anybody have any good utility? Don't start me on the electric company! As part of the package, Bright House furnishes a modem, no option. At the original installation, the tech, tried a 3 Com modem, but switched to an RCA. I foolishly complained about it going off if I wiggled the power cord. Should have fixed it myself. They replaced it with one of the nifty looking 3 Coms. Black and silver matching my Belkin router ahd HP printer with high tech looking LED's under the translucent cover. Unfortunately it didn't work very well going off line frequently. I have no good way to check for incoming signal. After numerous complaints over about 6 months, they finally replaced it with the Motorola last year. The tech said they were all bad and had to replace them all. So why did they put me off for 6 months? I since have had the best year of service out of the 3 years on cable. Good service if very important since I went to cable internet to dump my crummy local phone company.

Even with all my modem problems, I still have better phone and internet service than when I had a land line phone. It has been three years since I had to listen to the women at the phony company whine about the problem is my equipment. Unfortunately, the blond at Bright House keeps telling me to call when the cable is out. I get high speed internet, full featured local phone and unlimited long distance to the US, Canada, and now much of Europe for $73 a month. That is little more than I was paying for much poorer service before.

What ever became of the RCA modem fiasco, anyway? This is such a blatant power connector defect - they must have seen it at the factory! Terrible. I've not encountered any who had one that worked!

Yes I had a loaner Surfboard at the old house. Loved the power button on top, high speed and great reliability. Best Buy seems to have a sale at $39. Great deal.

But now the RCA dawg is working....don't want to touch it for fear it will go out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back