Best coolant for 2005 wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Its a 4cylinder, 2.4 like the PT cruiser. What is the best coolant I can buy, readily available at any auto parts store? I dont think I have seen G-05 for a long long time anywhere around here..... Not sure how this vehicle likes silicates or phosphates or however all that stuff works. Thanks!

G-05 really is the best choice. You can get it at any Mopar dealer as you probably know, but you can also get it at any Ford dealer (Motorcraft Premium Gold). Nationally, CarQuest and NAPA seem to be the most consistent places to find it. Forget MallWart, Target, etc.

If I was forced at gunpoint to put an alternative coolant in a modern Chrysler, I'd probably pick a conventional IAT coolant and just change it every 2 years. No way in heck would I consider Prestone "all makes all models" (just a DexCool clone) but I might consider Peak Global Lifetime.

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD
Not sure how this vehicle likes silicates or phosphates or however all that stuff works. Thanks!
G-05 has Silicates so thats a non issue. I switched my 02 over to old style green antifreeze and I change it every couple of years.

113K on my OE waterpump with Silacates so IMO thats a non issue where pump wear is concerned.

Yes, G-05 has silicates although in fairly low concentration. That's one reason it works so well.

Originally Posted By: VW_TDI_PD
Whats the factory orange coolant all about? Will that work well too?

If you're talking about the original post, Mopar factory red (its not really orange, but it is way too close to DexCool orange for comfort)... then that IS G-05. Mopar dyes theirs red to make it easier to see in the coolant bottle. Ford and Zerex are a clear gold that almost looks like plain water in the coolant bottle, but chemically they're the same as Mopar red.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Is Peak Global Lifetime compatible with Honda antifreeze? I want to to a drain and fill on my wifes Acura MDX.

I believe it is compatible. PGL doesn't have the phosphates but they are not absolutely necessary. It would be best to drain the most all of the original coolant out. Having two formula even if they are compatible does not give as good protection as having a full fill of one formula.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Peak. Silicate free.

"Silicate free" is not a good thing in and of itself. Silicates are superior at protecting a number of engine metals and alloys, which is why there's still a place for hybrid technology coolants. They're the best of both worlds in that regard.

But if you use conventional green low silicate AF-better to change it every 3 years MINIMUM-or you risk damaging your water pump seals (& then bearings) & crudding up your cooling system. G-05 seems to be one of the best (if not THE best) long life coolants out there-why risk problems changing to something else?? Not to mention that many Ford dealers sell full strength G-05/Premium Gold for $10-12/gallon, also making it almost as cheap as green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back