Best conventional oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that "Schaeffers" seems to be the first choice among most of the posters here, and I also know that most everyone prefers some type of synthetic oil. My question is all things being considered (i.e. quality, test results) what is the best dino oil in everyone's opinion and why??
I ask this question mostly because I'm sure that there are many posters with older, higher mileage engines who aren't going to spend a lot on oil.

Thanks

Based on the analysis results I have seen, I would go with Castrol GTX. This oil also has a little bit of moly in it too, which helps keep the wear numbers lower.

A very close second would be Pennzoil, as I know they too have moly in it. I just haven't seen enough Pennzoil analysis results to say 100% for sure how it compares to GTX.

Schaeffers probably is the finest fully formulated petroleum motor oil bar none. I think they market it as MOLY BOND.

For a cheap oil that is clean and gives good wear values any of the SL rated over the counter name brands are better than just 2 years ago.

I've had great results with Chevron Supreme and Exxon Superflo.

Petro Canada oils are good also but unless you are near the Canadian border you may have trouble getting it.

I have used Castrol GTX 10W-30, no complaints, I usually buy the 5 quart container at Wallmart for under 7 bucks.

quote:

Originally posted by MustangGT:
I know that "Schaeffers" seems to be the first choice among most of the posters here, and I also know that most everyone prefers some type of synthetic oil. My question is all things being considered (i.e. quality, test results) what is the best dino oil in everyone's opinion and why??
I ask this question mostly because I'm sure that there are many posters with older, higher mileage engines who aren't going to spend a lot on oil.

Thanks

Castrol GTX is probably the only Castrol North American product I would buy from them. The Canadian WalMart Tech2000 synthetic product line gave me good wear numbers and contains double the amount of moly than GTX. I'll be doing a virgin analysis of it in a few weeks.

Johnny has spoken highly of Petro Canada basestocks and their refining process. Unfortunately, certain products like Petro Canada Duron is quite difficult to acquire (I don't know how TooSlick does it, and he's down south in Alabama
dunno.gif
).

Regards,

Oz

Does Pennzoil really have any moly in their regular dino oils? I have e-mailed them twice but they never reply, Johnny?!
confused.gif

Chris, I believe many of theirs do but it can vary by specific oils. I found some results by searching for "penn mo" in the virgin oil analysis section:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000001

Bob tested Pennz Long Life 15w40, High Mileage 10w40, and High Mileage 10w30. A few others came up but I didn't open them. "Car and Truck Lube" would be another good archive to search.

David

Chris: All Pennzoil Multi-Vis oils have moly in them, including the Group III synthetic. They have between 90 and 100 ppm of moly.

Sorry you cannot get a response to your question. They probably think it's a trade secret or something and won't tell you. Really dumb if you ask me.

quote:

Originally posted by The_Oz:

Castrol GTX is probably the only Castrol North American product I would buy from them. The Canadian WalMart Tech2000 synthetic product line gave me good wear numbers and contains double the amount of moly than GTX. I'll be doing a virgin analysis of it in a few weeks.

I'm surprised I didn't catch this post earlier, but are you really saying that Tech2000 synthetic has moly in it? I can't wait to see that virgin analysis! That would make this group 3 synthetic a much better choice for those people I know up here who are still stuck on using the lower cost synthetics.

It seems that someone ran a SuperTech syn. test on an engine and moly showed up. Unfortunately the original poster made no reference to SuperTech in his subject heading and I'm not about to go on a major post by post search looking for it.

Why is Canadian Wal-Mart product still Tech 2000, a name abandoned in the American market a couple of years ago. Is this the same Specialty Petroleum product? Are they just trying to get rid of old bottles? Is there a trademark problem with SuperTech in Canada?
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I'm surprised I didn't catch this post earlier, but are you really saying that Tech2000 synthetic has moly in it? I can't wait to see that virgin analysis! That would make this group 3 synthetic a much better choice for those people I know up here who are still stuck on using the lower cost synthetics.
Patman,

174ppm of moly showed up in my Mazda 1.8 BP05 engine. I am quite sure that Mazda never coated any internal engine parts with Moly, so I'm going to assume it was the oil. And Tech2000 Synthetic is priced right at roughly $18 per 4L jug compared to Castrol Syntec at roughly $26 per 4L jug.

I believe Johnny confirmed that this stuff is at best Group III....well, at least the SuperTech stuff in the US. I'm just waiting for my paycheck to arrive so I can buy a sample bottle
smile.gif

Regards,

Oz

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
It seems that someone ran a SuperTech syn. test on an engine and moly showed up. Unfortunately the original poster made no reference to SuperTech in his subject heading and I'm not about to go on a major post by post search looking for it.

Why is Canadian Wal-Mart product still Tech 2000, a name abandoned in the American market a couple of years ago. Is this the same Specialty Petroleum product? Are they just trying to get rid of old bottles? Is there a trademark problem with SuperTech in Canada?
confused.gif

I'm not sure why we do not have the SuperTech brand name here. Don't forget also, we do not have the SuperTech filters. And as far as I am aware of, we are not liable for any changes that happens in the US (to a certain extent). Case in point, the product Slick 50. The FTC has filed - at least - a lawsuit against the marketing of this product. In Canada, Slick 50 is still marketed as that Magic Oil with Teflon (not marketed as PTFE) - and all that entails with that scam - in virtually every Automotive store and WalMart.

Regards,

Oz

Chris, I sent the post to Mineral oil heaven. It was skewed in a few ways and did not represent the Pennzoil product on it's own and was in a low mile car breaking in as well.So in fairness to the Product it is gone.

The Post Topic: Best Conventional Oils
I take that as Dino SL Passenger Car Motor Oils/no Diesel oils" so here are my picks,

Schaeffers #306
Pennzoil
Castrol GTX
Chevron Supreme
Havoline "Chevron"
Conoco Hydroclear
Motorcraft " Conoco"
Yamaha Yamalube 20/40-Passenger Bike ;)Had to throw that one in!

Can anyone add to the list?

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
Chris,

My analysis showed 49 ppm of moly after 2670 miles wih the Pennzoil 10/30 SL,PCMO

What happened to that post? I can see it in the search, but I get a no page found error when I try to bring it up.

quote:

Originally posted by The_Oz:

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:

confused.gif

I'm not sure why we do not have the SuperTech brand name here. Don't forget also, we do not have the SuperTech filters. And as far as I am aware of, we are not liable for any changes that happens in the US (to a certain extent). Case in point, the product Slick 50. The FTC has filed - at least - a lawsuit against the marketing of this product. In Canada, Slick 50 is still marketed as that Magic Oil with Teflon (not marketed as PTFE) - and all that entails with that scam - in virtually every Automotive store and WalMart.

Regards,

Oz

i was at canadian tire waiting for the interac to process on my 5w-30 pennzoil when an old man next in line slapped down two boxes of slick-50. i just shook my head.
frown.gif

I see a lot of oils mentioned,but I have yet to see anyone say that Quaker State is any good.I've been using Quaker State for over 20 years with ZERO problems.I know that they make the Wally-Mart 15w40 oil,I saw the shipping ticket still on the case that I bought,and gave it a try,it's the same oil.Comments??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back