Best conventional 5w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebc

Greetings,
My wife drives an 03 Honda Pilot. Our dealer uses Valvoline products but I have heard that the Motorcraft stuff is better. Any data to support this?
Thanks,
EBC

Exxon and Havoline make 5W20's in dino's.The Exxon showed a good amount Moly in a UOA result.Stuff's thin!I used Exxon superflo 5W30 for around 1500 miles in my Corolla and the engine revved great but it darkened pretty quickly.I went back to M1 5W30.From what I could see through the oil cap on the valve cover the internals looked a bit darker after the 1500 miles with the Exxon and with the M1 it was always spotless.No back on M1 it's spotless once again,knock on wood huh?
cool.gif
patriot.gif

After a lot of searching I use Castrol GTX 5w20. It meets the Ford WSSM2C153H spec (a must if you you are going to run 5w20) and it's hot viscosity is about 8.9 Cst, one of the heavier 20 weights (close to 30 weight). Its also very easy to find and I buy a case when Advance puts it on sale for $1.28/qt.

EBC:

I think Motorcraft 5W-20 is actually a blend made by Conoco. Wal-mart usually has it for around $1.79/qt. It's supposed to be pretty good. There have been several UOAs of it posted that you might want to search for and have a look at.

List of conventionals I have found that meet the Ford spec:

Castrol GTX
Chevron Supreme
Citgo Supergard
Conoco Hydroclear
Exxon Superflo
Motorcraft
Pennzoil
Phillips 66 TropArtic
Quaker State
Texaco Havoline
Valvoline All Climate

Nearly all readily availible at retail locations 5w20's meet the Ford spec. They would be dumb not to.

So far based on UOA the MotorCraft 5W20 and Honda 5W20 have come out on top. The MotorCraft is a blend. I belive it is mostly group III. MotorCraft is available at Walmart so it is a good buy.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike242GT:
EBC:

I think Motorcraft 5W-20 is actually a blend made by Conoco. Wal-mart usually has it for around $1.79/qt. It's supposed to be pretty good. There have been several UOAs of it posted that you might want to search for and have a look at.

I believe that the motorcraft stuff in the red bottle is a blend of Group II and Group III's.

Now weather all 5w20 based oil's are to meet that viscosity I don't know. Just what I hear about the Conoco/Motorcraft stuff.

I had the same question a year and a half ago, after much research I decided to go with pennzoil in the 5W-20 supposedly it is 70% group III and I had good results on my UOA on this oil. It has always met Ford's spec since Ive been using it Spring 2002 doesn't mention it on the bottle but it does on the website. Also my other top choices would be Chevron, Castrol GTX, or Mobil 1 0W-20 if you don't mind shelling out the bucks
grin.gif

Add Mobil Drive Clean 5w-20 to the list of conventional oils that have Honda and Ford approval. I called Mobil and asked about the basestocks and they replied they were all group III. If true, that would make it the least expensive "synthetic" you can buy.

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
they replied they were all group III. If true, that would make it the least expensive "synthetic" you can buy.

I take some of their information with a grain of salt.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
After a lot of searching I use Castrol GTX 5w20. It meets the Ford WSSM2C153H spec (a must if you you are going to run 5w20) and it's hot viscosity is about 8.9 Cst, one of the heavier 20 weights (close to 30 weight). Its also very easy to find and I buy a case when Advance puts it on sale for $1.28/qt.

That is good to know. The wife is bucking for an Odessey. Thicker is better for such a thin oil.

ebc,

Pennzoil PureBase has a 5w-20 is available as well. I do not know the specs on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back