Best combintation of Oil/OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I’m trying to determine the best combination of oil/OCI approach given the circumstances of my current vehicle:

2004 Toyota Camry SE, 2AZ-FE Engine 4cyl engine. 5-Speed manual transmission
Approx 210,000 km
Was previously driven between 5000-6000 km/month. Oil changes were monthly affair @ a quick lube place with either conventional dino or high mileage 5W-30 ( brand was possibly Quaker State as it was serviced At Jiffy Lube)
Since I took ownership in August 2008 I typically do between 500-800 km month, with majority of it short-trip city driving to work and back. I’ve only had two oil changes on the car (approx 6 months apart), both at the dealership. Engine oil was Toyota 5W-30 conventional and OEM filter.

I have not had to top off the engine at all (except when I first got it when it was 2/3rds of a quart low for some reason). I have not had any UOA’s done.

I’m following the Toyota recommendation of 8000 km or 6 months between OCI’s for now.

In order to ensure the engine is adequately protected from the frequent cold starts in the winter I’m giving consideration to the following:

Block heater, Oil Pan Heater, Synthetic Oil

The last point I’m not sure the best approach to go and I’ve narrowed it down to the following four oils (mainly because I can get these relatively easily):

GC 0W-30 (available at local Walmart, and yes it says Made In Germany on the back)
PP 5W-30
Supertech Synthetic 5W-30 or 0W-30
Amsoil Signature 0W-30

I’m hoping to get some sort of either consensus or suitable alternatives to ensure I’m taking maximum care of this engine.

Also, I cannot seem to find anything but FRAM filters everywhere I go (Walmart, Canadian Tire, Part Source) as I was looking into possible alternates to the OEM filter.

Cheers,

P.S. Thanks in advance.

Good GOD, the Canadians are taking over this site!
welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
welcome2.gif

crackmeup2.gif
Well its too dang cold up there to do anything else but surf the web! Welcome by the way.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: LarryOil

Also, I cannot seem to find anything but FRAM filters everywhere I go (Walmart, Canadian Tire, Part Source) as I was looking into possible alternates to the OEM filter.

Go to Napa.. Napa Gold filters are great for the $. (Wix)

If you're using a block warmer/pan heater arrangement, your oil selection broadens a bit. You're doing a maximum of 10k-km a year ..or about 6kmiles in south of the border terms.

Assuming that you're going to trump just about 100% of what the short trip/warm up phase means to oil degradation, I don't see any need for super robust oils.

I'd choose the PP 5-30,run it 6 months,changing it approx. Fall and Spring. Oem filter is fine. But that's just me.

Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
welcome2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Well its too dang cold up there to do anything else but surf the web! Welcome by the way.
grin2.gif

Only 8 months of the year!
LOL.gif
08.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
welcome2.gif

Muhahahaha
02.gif

MWA-HAHAAHAHAHHA!!!!

50.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
welcome2.gif

Muhahahaha
02.gif

MWA-HAHAAHAHAHHA!!!!

50.gif

Lets let the Canadians and Texans fight it out! Hot vs. cold!
39.gif
08.gif

TOTALLY JOKING! I like everyone here!

I will trade you some really cold Air Conditioning Weather for some hot humid weather. A sample of my offering is below.
LOL.gif

snow1.jpg

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
PS: What is the white stuff???
You don't wanna know... It comes in buckets, usually over night and makes a mess. Then a week later it is usually gone, only to come back when you least expect it. For some reason it's connected to the Air Conditioning weather.
grin2.gif

You don't wanna know... It comes in buckets, usually over night and makes a mess. Then a week later it is usually gone, only to come back when you least expect it.
grin2.gif

When winter fully arrives here on the east coast of Canada,e.g. around January, the snow comes and stays until March or April.

Originally Posted By: Spudislander
You don't wanna know... It comes in buckets, usually over night and makes a mess. Then a week later it is usually gone, only to come back when you least expect it.
grin2.gif

When winter fully arrives here on the east coast of Canada,e.g. around January, the snow comes and stays until March or April.

Man that is just awesome! I envy you guys in Canada and MN!
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Spudislander
grin2.gif

I'll trade you. I can't go outside and be comfortable for eight months of the year in The Swamp as it is. At least with the snow it looks cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back