Best Cocktail to Remove Heavy Leading

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me? I'm not kidding - brass/bronze brush and PBlaster. Spray and Soak the barrel overnight. Brush, repeat. Then soak overnight again. Brush.....you might be surprised how many little hunks come out. I tried Kroil and some others, amazingly PBlaster works best. Boy do I hate the smell of that weird yellowish stuff.

I've written this before: Forget about dissolving lead. Anything that will actually dissolve lead will be very hard on steel. What needs to happen is the lead needs to be broken away from the steel bore. A good penetrant and a tight brush does the job. YMMV. I guess this is what jags are for(?)

I've been told to use a brass sponge, like Choirboy or whatever is good for scrubbing pots and pans. It's brass, so it won't mar the rifling. I haven't done that--yet. Last time I had bad leading I wound up removing the jag from my cleaning rod, and used the brass rod by itself to scrape out the lead. Granted, it was a handgun, not a rifle.

I did just give in and order some brass dental picks from Midway, for the purpose of scraping out lead.

However, for some reason, the last time I scraped out the lead was a while ago, and it hasn't come back. At least not to that level. Perhaps it built up, due to a rough bore, and it's now not as likely? Maybe more often cleaning? Beats me. All I know is that the old advice of shooting FMJ/jacketed ammo to remove leading doesn't work (or so I've read): given how hard it's smeared into the lands I can believe that FMJ won't help at all.

If the guns is stainless something like Birchwood Casey's Lead and Rust Remover will do a good job. I don't advise it on blued guns because it can remove bluing (which is a form of rust).

In lieu of that, brass wool/sponge will work well as will a tool called the Lewis Lead Remover, which uses a brass screen wrapped along a rubber plug which is then pulled through the barrel.

As somebody else pointed out the best chemicals are those that act as strong surfactants that break the bond between lead and steel. If you let them sit long enough inside the gun they get underneath the lead and help lift it from the barrel.

I have some good luck with Shooter's Choice and even Ed's Red home made cleaner. The surfactants are a bit slower than the brass wool and elbow grease.

REAL copper sponge cut into small enough strips to be wrapped around a bronze brush.

Quick, effective and does not require heavy solvents. 95% of what I shoot is lead and works in every weapon I've used.

2-3 swipes through the bore and then follow up with whatever cleaner you like.

Be careful with so called copper scrubbers. Most of them are copper coated. Those will harm the bore. Take a magnet to the item to make sure its NOT coated. Wal-greens have the solid 100% copper ones. A $3 pack will do me easy 6 months.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
So whats the best homemade concoction to remove heavy kead build up in the rifling. Hoppe's #9 just is not cutting it. Thanks.

BBDartCA,

I have a small book that tells to use a stainless steel brush to chean out heavy leading. Then follow up with a polishing paste to give it a bright shine. If you using just Hoppe's there's allot of products you can use but basically the Hoppe's just a lubricant when the SS brush goes doe the tube.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
So whats the best homemade concoction to remove heavy kead build up in the rifling. Hoppe's #9 just is not cutting it. Thanks.

BBDartCA,

I have a small book that tells to use a stainless steel brush to chean out heavy leading. Then follow up with a polishing paste to give it a bright shine. If you using just Hoppe's there's allot of products you can use but basically the Hoppe's just a lubricant when the SS brush goes doe the tube.

Durango

I would NEVER put a SS brush down anything ....maybe a shotgun !\

The looped stainless wire Tornado brushes are useless for anything rifled but work wonders on smoothbores like shotguns or revolver cylinders.

Use whatever solvent you like for lube as you're working the brush.

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back