best cloth to polish - terri cloth or microfiber

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dollar Store microfiber cloths are 80% polyester and 20% polyamide.

This from the internet:

Micro fibers are synthetic filaments that are interwoven, 70% Polyester and 30% Polyamide, and put through a special process where each filament is split into 16 sections with 16 interval spaces.

Boat people say to use terri cloth to remove the wax, then finish up with a microfiber cloth.

I would guess one would not scratch gelcoat even with a cheap microfiber cloth.

How can one tell a cheap vs good microfiber cloth besides the cost or the store you got it from.

Does one also think the Dollar store also sells cheap terri cloths? If so what makes them cheap (besides thickness and size).

Quality control with microfiber towels is a challenge. Even the top US dealers have a hard time getting consistently good quality towels from the mills in China and S. Korea. Buying from a well known supplier is key IMO. There is no method to easily determine a top quality towel from a poor quality one; most of us experienced detailers know by look, feel and performance.

While spending $20 on a dedicated towel may be extreme, I think you have to agree that buying at the lowest end of the price range is equally extreme. Online detailing suppliers have a great selection but you can find decent towels at Target, Walmart, etc. Warehouse clubs sell towels in bulk of acceptable, if inconsistent, quality.

The above thoughts apply to cotton terry towels as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back