best cloth to polish - terri cloth or microfiber

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read some articles, one should use a microfiber cloth for almost anything to do with waxing a vehicle.

I tried one today from the dollar store and I was not that impressed.

Lots of static.

Quote:
I tried one today from the dollar store and I was not that impressed.

Self fulfilling prophecy?

try spending at least a few bucks on one from Target or the auto parts store. I prefer microfiber and have no static issues.

For $10 Walmart sells a nice microfiber starter kit from Viking, who make excellent products. You get a little of everything in the box. I think it's 8 pieces incl a wash mitt, large drying towel, polishing towels, etc.

Microfiber is far softer than cotton terry and much more absorbent. It's definitely the way to go for car detailing tools.

Donald,

Some of the microfiber that I use cost $5 each. A good, plush microfiber works very well with no static electricity. That being said, a good, plush terry cloth will work almost as well. There are several grades of microfiber available. Try checking around at autogeek or detail city.

I got mine from Walmart for only $7, large enough to dry two vehicles. Sometimes I use my old hanes t-shirts to dry the windows, maybe its just me, but I found it easier/quicker that way.

Last edited:
Microfiber is the best hands down. BUT - ya gotta get good ones. I buy mine from Griot's garage and they do cost more but you're getting lasting quality. The one's I bought 5 years ago are still working fine. When you buy those cheapies from Wal Mart and the Dollar store - check and you'll see that the stitching is not cotton but ployester or something and this scratches the car's finish. Not to mention that the quality of the microfiber itself is garbage. I do own some of those cheapies from walmart (in a bag) but they are used for interior cleaning, glass, home cleaning and wheels - NEVER the painted surfaces of my car. Stay away from Dollar store auto products!

Last edited:
You bought a bottom of the barrell microfiber from The Dollar Store. You cannot expect it to perform like a premium product. Also did you wash it first? Do some more reading and cough up for some good ones. I have about 200 or so, some are one purpose and $12 each! I'm not suggesting you go that far but there are too many good ones available to buy khrap like that. Poorboy's has some top quality towels that are reasonable. Also do some research about how to wash them. Done incorrectly you can ruin very nice microfibers very quickly.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I have about 200 or so

This admissions practically screams for an intervention.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I have about 200 or so

As does that sentence.

You bought a bottom of the barrell microfiber from The Dollar Store. You cannot expect it to perform like a premium product. Also did you wash it first? Do some more reading and cough up for some good ones. I have about 200 or so, some are one purpose and $12 each! I'm not suggesting you go that far but there are too many good ones available to buy khrap like that. Poorboy's has some top quality towels that are reasonable. Also do some research about how to wash them. Done incorrectly you can ruin very nice microfibers very quickly.

Right on. I don't have 200 microsm but I've got atleast 50-75. And like you, I have specific ones for polish, wax and even spray detailers. The spray detailer micros from Griots are THICK and plush like a fine towel and wick the spray and dirt away from the paint better than the finer/thinner polish micro.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I have about 200 or so

It is one of the tools I use to earn a living. I do hope that is okay with you sir. During a major detail (which can take two days or more) it is nothing to go through 25-50 microfiber towels and have clean ones remaining for the next day's work.

I have over 100 mf towels. You really should have plenty on hand. I have about 20 of the orange vroom ones from target, a couple of the grey ones.

Pak shak has some really good deals on great mf towels, i certainly took them up on there deals. autogeek.com has some cobra 530 supreme mf towels buy one get one free.

Blue perl makes great waffle weave mf towels and can usually get them on sale half off for around $6

Microfiber towels for me are like shoes or earrings for women: I have towels I've bought but never used.

200? Yeah, probably. I'm kinda scared to count them.

Heck. I have five dedicated glass polishes. I have four dedicated bug juice cleaners. 200 towels is nothing, really.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
Microfiber towels for me are like shoes or earrings for women: I have towels I've bought but never used.

bretfraz, we would enjoy a picture of you in YOUR unused women's shoes and earings!
crackmeup2.gif

Yes -- even the ones from Costco will do better than $1 store MFs. Buy Vroom from Target, or Viking to start out with. You could even buy the Costco set for interior use.

Are you the same guy who bought a chamois from Harbot Freight? :)

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: bretfraz

bretfraz, we would enjoy a picture of you in YOUR unused women's shoes and earings!
crackmeup2.gif

I'm sure your would enjoy a pic.....
LOL.gif

I used to date a girl who had so many shoes, earrings and coats, the closet door where she kept everything would not close.

Every time I think I have too many microfiber towels, I think of her and say to myself, "well, at least I'm not THAT bad".

Auto detailing solutions dot com has mf towels on sale for $1 a piece. They have a 12 pack for $9.99 and a 100 pack for $69.

ADS microfiber towels on sale

I bought 76 of the ADS towels from a detailer on autopia for $40 all brand new that he had "excess" of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back